Mushroom Tank

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red is the first color to filter out in sea water, so less red reaches wild corals as the water deepens.
Blue is the last color to filter out.

So that" ..'splains that, Ricky".

I ♥ srooms!

Red filters out on deeper areas but not on shallow water areas were most mushrooms and softies are

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool idea for a specialized tank Daniel. You are so right about those mushrooms roaming, I have two blues that come and go as they please around the tank, I call them the 'travelers'.

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red filters out on deeper areas but not on shallow water areas were most mushrooms and softies are

+1 ...This is true.

> I should of 'splained that better ... thanx for covering.

Is why I run purples in my LED's .. for the red content.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dwilliams87

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night things were already looking better. I had thought at one time my jawbreaker was a gonner, but its definitely coming around. Colors are looking better, corals are spreading out more. I think the PS and Phosban is really doing its job.

OP
OP
dwilliams87

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 ...This is true.

> I should of 'splained that better ... thanx for covering.

Is why I run purples in my LED's .. for the red content.

How does of have red content when the Violet spectrum is lower than the blue spectrum. Isn't the violet 420nm? Please explain.

OP
OP
dwilliams87

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I lowered the light stand by about 3''. Also lifted the canopy by about 3". So, Basically all the empty space between the top of the canopy and the PVC hang bar is gone. The entire setup is now shorter without moving how high the lights are above the tank. Also, after running the PS and the phosban for 4 days, my phosphates are down to .15 and my nitrates are at 20ppm. I know shrooms like a little dirtier water so I'm happy with the nitrates, I dont really want them under 10ppm. I would like to get the phosphates down to about .08 or so. As of now, all the hair algae is gone!:bigsmile: Slowly, but surely, this will be a nice shroom tank!

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does of have red content when the Violet spectrum is lower than the blue spectrum. Isn't the violet 420nm? Please explain.

I dauh know.. I guess cause red & blue make purple, .... not the same ultra violet??? At least that is what I was taught.

Last edited:

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may look that way to our eye. Don't think it works that way for photosynthesis. Which is why the ocw stars look white but you still have to run white..

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I looked up the kevins... you are right.. but.. if I mix paints to brush on my canvas, red and blue make purple, violet, etc by % of red or blue. Then you add white or a dark color to change the shade.

I stand corrected... darn, now I have been wrong twice in 65 years.. .. or was that 65 times in two hours.. ?? ;)

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol... no worries.. here is a spectral graph.. paint works that way because it's reflecting light (and a pretty broad daylight spectrum).. for photosynthesis it's all about what's being absorbed (and with led the spectrum of each individual diode is relatively small for specific colors)..
1362778048674.jpg

Disclaimer: I am far from an expert on this... lol..

Last edited:

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...so I need to poke in a red LED or two in my set? I've got srooms all over the place.

..If so I may poke a set together with red, UV, and green. Even a yellow.. at the least it should pop the colors in my corals. .. am I on track?

Speaking of which.. I haven't heard of anyone adding infrared... it could matter.??? Does anyone have any input on that? Because we as humans can't see infrared doesn't mean other life forms aren't effected by it.

Last edited:

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey being wrong is a big crowd... you may need a shoe horn. I guess we need to look up the frequency.

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got deep red and cyan.. one of the fixtures out now has amber in it.. don't know of anyone using "yellow" necessarily.. there are charts floating around that tell you exactly what photosynthetic peaks are useful..

Check out the full spectrum thread at nano reef.. lots of good info there. Jedimasterben (also a member here) really knows his stuff..

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV is 398nm

some LEDs are labeled "UV" that are well above the 400nm mark.. which is why many people say they are putting UV on their builds when in reality they are using violet. I think true UV diodes are kinda pricey..

Last edited:
OP
OP
dwilliams87

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some LEDs are labeled "UV" that are well above the 400nm mark.. which is why many people say they are putting UV on their builds when in reality they are using violet. I think true UV diodes are kinda pricey..

Did not know that.

sutton6989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the lowest I've seen leds are 410nm which is violet.seen some 420nm as well.. they make the corals pop like crazy though

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back