Mushroom Tank

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting a mushroom tank and need a little advice and would love some suggestions. I have an 8x8x8 cube. For filtration I plan on making it bare bottom, adding a small amount of rock in it, and using a HOB filter. I will use a small heater. I am building my lights out of LED stuff I have laying around the house. It will be about 6 in. above the tank with 7 white and 7 blue lights. Both will have dimmable drivers on them so I can have full control over the intensity of the light. I will have 1 nano koralia powerhead rated at 240 gph. These are the mushrooms I have so far. Game over/Jawbreaker, another mushroom called a jawbreaker but not the Game Over one, Nuclear Sunset, Superman, Rainbow Rhodactus, 3 of the yumas SexyCorals had for sale last night, a Saint Thomas, and 7 ricordias. A couple of different questions,1) Do any of these need more light than others? 2) Will any of these sting the others, in other words, which ones should I seperate from each other? 3) Will this be enough filtration? 4) Am I missing anything? Thank you ahead of time for any suggestions or information.

Daniel

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not an expert on cubes but I think your idea is great! Would love to see it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am honestly not sure if they will sting each other but I am looking forward to seeing this tank!

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had issues with mushroom touching each other but I've only had Florida Rics and regular Discus mushrooms. I'm not sure about the St. Thomas but the others are adaptable to most lighting with the Rics being able to tolerate and adapt to brighter lighting better than the Discosoma. I don't think you'll have any issues in an 8 inch cube with placement. Just put them where you like them the best. Mushrooms can move so if they aren't happy they can adjust to another spot.

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks going to be sick. You are going to need to put the bowsers in there, in that tank it will take a lot to shine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
dwilliams87

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant wait to get it going. I've got everything ordered, so it should all be here this week. I'll be using Dr. Tims to get a quick cycle so I'm expecting to begin the setup in about 2 weeks. I think I'm gonna do a build thread on this one. I will probably begin working on the lights tonight. Also, I was mistaken on the dimensions. It is a 12x12x12. It's 7.5 gallons.

Poomba as long as I have plenty of room, I plan on putting some frags of my hottest zoas on the top of the rocks, including the Bowsers.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gl with this new setup pal will tag along for future pics

OP
OP
dwilliams87

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I got the tank setup. Just added Dr. Tims to get this cycle rolling. As soon as everything is cycled and get all the shrooms in I will update again.
20120829_163714.jpg

OP
OP
dwilliams87

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get all of them in except for 1 more box from Sexy Mike. So far I have 8 rics, 1 St. Thomas, nuclear sunset, Superman, rainbow rhodactis, 3 yumas, and a jawbreaker. All of those are in the tank. Friday will finish it up. Hopefully I will have pics by weeks end.

Norcalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as far as I understand the yuma and st thomas will whip up on most of the other shrooms pretty quick. Not sure about ric vs rhodactis, I think they would fight, but it might not be a mean enough fight to really do a lot. In general I would assume they will fight over them not fighting and try to keep a small distance between shroom families.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back