OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your rock work! Has the tang made it to the DT yet or is it still in QT?

Thanks, it took me awhile messing with the rock work before I got it the way I liked it. I was just thinking today that I need to post an update. No the black tang in not is Dt yet. Still in Qt. I will get my pictures organised and get posted here in a little bit.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got the Black Tang In November , I also got 3 neon blue gobies. They went through two weeks of CP then transferred to clean QT tank and went through general cure and food soaked with metro. They have been in QT for 8 weeks now. They all looked good so I was getting ready to add them to DT when I kept seeing the gobies constantly cleaning the tang. I then decided to do a peroxide dip on the tang . (20ml peroxide to 1 gal of water)
Below is pictures of what I found.
1579561986355.png

I managed to take some tweezers and pull some of it off. It broke off so I did not get all of it. This is what it looks like under my microscope under different magnifications:
1579562089281.png
1579562107814.png

1579562136807.png
1579562148835.png

I have no idea what this could be. I posted it in the disease forum but got no definite answers. I treated as some kind of worm as suggested with Dimlin X. Again the tang looked good with no visible signs of anything on it. I did another peroxide dip and this is what I saw. After about 2 minutes or less I started seeing these white spots and could see something dropping off and falling to the bottom of the container.
Black tang.jpg
Black tang2.jpg

I looked at one under the microscope and again saw what looked like the same thing I saw the first time.
IMG_5366.jpg

I plan to do the TTM Hybrid treatment now. As soon as I put the tang back in a clean qt tank it looked completely normal again. But this time I put the 3 gobies in another qt tank. Not sure what it is.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the butterflies!! Do you think a yellow tang can be added to a group of butterflies once they are in the tank a while? How did adding the goldflake go with the butterflies? I am thinking hard about adding one to my 180 butterfly tank. I want to add a couple more first though then after an appropriate time add the angel.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the butterflies!! Do you think a yellow tang can be added to a group of butterflies once they are in the tank a while? How did adding the goldflake go with the butterflies? I am thinking hard about adding one to my 180 butterfly tank. I want to add a couple more first though then after an appropriate time add the angel.

I've never had a yellow tang, but I think it would be ok as long as it was added last. Maybe be careful with the butterfly's you add so you don't have any all yellow ones that look more like a yellow tang.

The gold flake was fine with the butterflies. No problems at all. The only "problem child" I've had is the Interruptus.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The golden Semilarvatus and the Latticed are two under consideration so the yellow tang probably won’t work. I appreciate your reply. I don’t think the colors of them would have occurred to me to present a problem. Does your goldflake eat a lot of algae?
Thanks again.
Jim

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The golden Semilarvatus and the Latticed are two under consideration so the yellow tang probably won’t work. I appreciate your reply. I don’t think the colors of them would have occurred to me to present a problem. Does your goldflake eat a lot of algae?
Thanks again.
Jim

I lost my goldflake but still have the Goldflake/FlagFin Hybrid. He eats some algae but it depends on what kind it is. I would not consider him as a control for algae like I would a tang.But all my butterflies and angels eat the nori sheets.

You may not have any problems with a yellow tang. Sometimes it depends on the fish. I have not had any to compare it.

Pinback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got the Black Tang In November , I also got 3 neon blue gobies. They went through two weeks of CP then transferred to clean QT tank and went through general cure and food soaked with metro. They have been in QT for 8 weeks now. They all looked good so I was getting ready to add them to DT when I kept seeing the gobies constantly cleaning the tang. I then decided to do a peroxide dip on the tang . (20ml peroxide to 1 gal of water)
Below is pictures of what I found.
1579561986355.png

I managed to take some tweezers and pull some of it off. It broke off so I did not get all of it. This is what it looks like under my microscope under different magnifications:
1579562089281.png
1579562107814.png

1579562136807.png
1579562148835.png

I have no idea what this could be. I posted it in the disease forum but got no definite answers. I treated as some kind of worm as suggested with Dimlin X. Again the tang looked good with no visible signs of anything on it. I did another peroxide dip and this is what I saw. After about 2 minutes or less I started seeing these white spots and could see something dropping off and falling to the bottom of the container.
Black tang.jpg
Black tang2.jpg

I looked at one under the microscope and again saw what looked like the same thing I saw the first time.
IMG_5366.jpg

I plan to do the TTM Hybrid treatment now. As soon as I put the tang back in a clean qt tank it looked completely normal again. But this time I put the 3 gobies in another qt tank. Not sure what it is.
That has to be some kind of parasitic worm. Maybe prazipro?

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has to be some kind of parasitic worm. Maybe prazipro?

I have already used prazipro. I am planning on doing the Hybrid TTM (with peroxide dips) but using the peroxide dip at every transfer not just 2 of them, and see if that does anything. Otherwise, next I will try Formalin, as recommended by someone else. I hate using that stuff but if nothing else works, I guess I will try it as a last resort. What gets me is that I do not see any of these things with the naked eye until I put the fish in peroxide. I even used a magnifying glass to look at the fish.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a very sad day today. I found my male Interruptus Angel under my stand. ☹ I had him for 3 years.
I have a false wall on one end of the tank to house cords and controls, which means the stand and canopy is longer than the tank. I have a piece of styrofoam covering the hole between the tank and false wall. The styrofoam was flipped up so I think he jumped on it and it flipped him in the bottom of the stand. It is a big loss for me, not only financially but emotional as well. I spent so much time and energy pairing him with my female, It literally makes me feel sick.

873ABB05-D1FB-4404-95D5-C6FD4B3F3EB7.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this isn’t my week. Although a happy outcome this time. Could not find my female clown this morning and finally located her in the overflow, and I do have a cover on it. However it is kind of flimsy. So shut off return pump and drained down the overflow and used a net and egg crate
68F31028-7085-4DA4-87A3-4A3D66E7A085.jpeg
47368F18-C727-4B49-86CC-6BEF23C04854.jpeg

Got her out and reunited with her mate!
FE1CC8E6-26A4-4BF0-94D8-5915164F14DB.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back