My 180 Gallon "Pair" Themed Build Thread

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Victoria M
I am posting from my notes as I did not start this build thread when I started the tank a couple year ago. However, I am posting in order of when things happened. Please notice the dates as I listed them in the post. So this last post is the second Interruptus to form a pair as this is a "pair" themed tank. (Fish to be mostly in pairs as they would be in the wild.):)
I thought so. But then I got confused...thank you for clarifying. I know these issues have passed then, but have you ever tried putting up a mirror to distract a fish from other fish? That and pictures have worked for me. If this is still ever an issue I mean. And are you still working on stocking the tank?

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On February 6, 2019 I received word from one of my vendors that a juvenile Interruptus was available! Knowing that these fish are rare to find I jumped on it immediately.
Picture of fish sent by the vendor.
Juvinile Interruptus.png
That is the prettiest little one.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so. But then I got confused...thank you for clarifying. I know these issues have passed then, but have you ever tried putting up a mirror to distract a fish from other fish? That and pictures have worked for me. If this is still ever an issue I mean. And are you still working on stocking the tank?

I have tried the mirror method in other tanks, but have not in this one.
I am still stocking the tank.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came across this thread and love it!

I have two pairs of butterflyfish - a pair of tinkeri and a pair of semilarvatus.

I also have an interruptus and a goldflake and the interruptus torments it nonstop. It also harasses my borbonius, but the goldflake is its main target. Never saw anyone else report this although probably not many have this combo.

Excited to follow along.

Last edited:

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My juvenile goldflake also lost the black on its dorsal fin (and never developed a black tail fin). I was thinking it just needs time to develop, but seeing how yours lost the black on its dorsal fin and tail fin, I wonder if it might be stress induced from the interruptus?

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came across this thread and love it!

I have two pairs of butterflyfish - a pair of tinkeri and a pair of semilarvatus.

I also have an interruptus and a goldflake and the interruptus torments it nonstop. It also harasses my borbonius, but the goldflake is its main target. Never saw anyone else report this although probably not many have this combo.

Excited to follow along.

That's awesome on your 2 butterfly pairs! Did you pair them yourself or buy them as a pair? I had a single tinkeri in the tank where everything died. I do like them a lot and thought about them again for this build. But then decided since I had one once I wanted to try something else. The semilarvatus were also on my short list, but decided against them as I thought it would be too much yellow in the tank with the yellow angels.

Interesting on your experience with the interruptus and goldflake. Which one was added first? And what size was each one?

Got any pictures of your to share?

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My juvenile goldflake also lost the black on its dorsal fin (and never developed a black tail fin). I was thinking it just needs time to develop, but seeing how yours lost the black on its dorsal fin and tail fin, I wonder if it might be stress induced from the interruptus?

Maybe it is a stress thing. There is still so much we don't know about these beautiful creatures. What are the odds that we both have the same combination and with the same issues?

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the tinkeris as a "pair" but I don't think they really were, since the price for both was less than the price if I bought them individually. Usually they charge a premium for true pairs. They chased each other throughout QT, but never anything major so I went ahead and added them to the DT. No major issues with them.

I started out with a single semilarvatus, then added a smaller one. I had no issues with them coexisting. But the smaller one only lasted about a year and then it suddenly died out of the blue. No apparent reason - all my fish are QT'ed and no other fish had any issues. I then added another one (much larger) and again, no issues with them coexisting. I'm not sure any of my "pairs" are really pairs or just tolerate each other.

I also have a trio of bimaculatus anthias, which I am in the process of trying to add 2 more.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The semilarvatus were also on my short list, but decided against them as I thought it would be too much yellow in the tank with the yellow angels.

Ha ha! I initially also was hesistant to get certain fish due to too much yellow, but then decided to embrace it and make the whole tank yellow-themed. Most of my fish have some yellow in them.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where was I, oh yes, February 7, 2019 my new juvenile interruptus arrived. Started eating right away! I am very happy with how she looks and is acting. Now 6 to 8 weeks of qt time.
C99AF982-FFAC-4BA1-8510-5101963FF4A6.jpeg
75C5D7F6-DF91-469A-8083-68C5B9890652.jpeg

And a video of the little girl eating.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the juvenile interruptus was in QT I taped several pictures of large interruptus fish on the sides and front of the tank in hopes of making sure she stays a female. I think it worked. Here are a couple pictures of her out of qt and in the acclimation tank in the DT. This was on April 10, 2019

Juvinile Interruptus1copy.jpg

Her future mate doing a swim by checking her out and trying to act cool.
Interruptus future pair1copy.jpg

Interruptus future pair2copy.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back