My 180g Classroom Build

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exciting and a great idea for a classroom!
Tank and sump looks great. If I could just make one suggestion from experience, put some support hangers on some of the pipe work if you haven’t already. Especially around valves you will be using as this is where stress will occur. Hangers near your bulk heads will also save stress from water weight or if you accidentally grab or put weight on the pipe.
Awesome build you have going. I’m following along.

I’ve been trying to find support hangers. Where do you get them for pvc?

OP
OP
Mr.Asbury

Mr.Asbury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exciting and a great idea for a classroom!
Tank and sump looks great. If I could just make one suggestion from experience, put some support hangers on some of the pipe work if you haven’t already. Especially around valves you will be using as this is where stress will occur. Hangers near your bulk heads will also save stress from water weight or if you accidentally grab or put weight on the pipe.
Awesome build you have going. I’m following along.

Great advice. I'll get on that this week when I'm in there hooking up the rest of my equipment. Thanks!

Would’ve loved to have this in school.

Hopefully the kids enjoy it once it's full of life!

Congratulations!

Thanks!

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the plumbing finished up today, but couldn't get a good picture of it. However, you can see the aquascape my wife and another science teacher helped me make while I was putting the skimmer and water changing station together. I'll be putting more water in it throughout the week as I'm able to make it, and will hopefully be able to start the cycle by Friday.

I'll be starting general intro to water on Earth notes this week, and will cover saltwater prior to freshwater. I plan to hit the nitrogen cycle during this and will have my students do water tests throughout the weeks of the cycle, log what we're seeing, and make a graph at the end to show what happened with the water parameters throughout this time. Hopefully it'll turn out nicely, and I'll have some stuff to share on here! Thanks to everyone who's followed along so far, and I hope you're as excited as I am about the year getting started!

IMG_1431.JPG
Looking great.
Your colleague and wife are aquascape masters!

OP
OP
Mr.Asbury

Mr.Asbury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along! How is your Apex programming going?

I only have my powerheads, return pump, and heaters on it ATM while the cycle's going. I'll probably hook up the lights this weekend, depending on how busy things get. Everything was fairly easy to set up except the salinity probe - I can't seem to get the auto calibration to work. I'm going to give it another shot this weekend if/when I have some free time to devote to it. Other than that, I think the graphs produced by it are going to be an awesome tool for use in class! Also, it's nice to be able to check on how everything's doing from home, because I tend to worry a lot about it!

RyanReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have my powerheads, return pump, and heaters on it ATM while the cycle's going. I'll probably hook up the lights this weekend, depending on how busy things get. Everything was fairly easy to set up except the salinity probe - I can't seem to get the auto calibration to work. I'm going to give it another shot this weekend if/when I have some free time to devote to it. Other than that, I think the graphs produced by it are going to be an awesome tool for use in class! Also, it's nice to be able to check on how everything's doing from home, because I tend to worry a lot about it!
I think what you are doing is great idea and hope we get a few future reefers out of it. The graphs and apex tools will be really cool to show the students. You may think about creating a view only account for your students so you can log them into fusion and they can only view the information and can not make changes to the tank settings. This looks like a great build, looking forward to seeing it grow and hearing about your students reactions.

OP
OP
Mr.Asbury

Mr.Asbury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what you are doing is great idea and hope we get a few future reefers out of it. The graphs and apex tools will be really cool to show the students. You may think about creating a view only account for your students so you can log them into fusion and they can only view the information and can not make changes to the tank settings. This looks like a great build, looking forward to seeing it grow and hearing about your students reactions.

I didn't realize you could do that. I'll deff have to get on that. I could probably set something up to have that displayed beside the tank during classes so the kids could see the various levels.

I had the kids test all of the things in my test kits today, and plan on having each of my 3 classes test ammonia, nitrite, & nitrate once a week (on diff days) to get those values throughout the cycle. At the end, we'll combine the data, graph it, & talk about what happened at each of the major changes. Hopefully it works out correctly since I did add some Dr. Tim's bacteria in a bottle to kick start things.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
972cd80e4fb909a87c69fc836d0f6cd1.jpg

Leak tested the 40g breeder sump today, and luckily found no leaks!

Edit: I didn't notice that you can see the water on the table in that picture until now. That's not from the tank, thats from my wife being a smart alec and spraying me with the water hose we were using to fill the tank ;Drowning
ah, young love. After 20 years that is a fight waiting to get ugly. lol. jk...sorta.
I would have loved to be a science teacher.

OP
OP
Mr.Asbury

Mr.Asbury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah, young love. After 20 years that is a fight waiting to get ugly. lol. jk...sorta.
I would have loved to be a science teacher.

Haha we've been putting up with each other pulling stuff like that for 7 years or so now, so I think we're used to it.

I really enjoy teaching science. I've always enjoyed the subject, every day is different, and the kids really keep you on your toes. There are some days it drives you insane as well, but you get that with every job. Overall, it's a very rewarding career and its worth the extra work you have to do in the evenings/mornings to research and set up labs when you see something new "click" for a kid and they understand it or find a new interest from it.

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to find support hangers. Where do you get them for pvc?

The Depot has hard plastic two hole pvc straps. The fun part comes finding something to secure them to. Sometimes you can use wood blocks to take up space. They also have flexible plastic straps you can hang with although I don’t care for the look and they are not as secure. Two hole ridged strap hangers are solid. [emoji106]

OP
OP
Mr.Asbury

Mr.Asbury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Depot has hard plastic two hole pvc straps. The fun part comes finding something to secure them to. Sometimes you can use wood blocks to take up space. They also have flexible plastic straps you can hang with although I don’t care for the look and they are not as secure. Two hole ridged strap hangers are solid. [emoji106]

Where to attach them is where my issue comes in. I'm nervous about screwing anything into the stand and causing a crack ;Nailbiting

OP
OP
Mr.Asbury

Mr.Asbury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my ATO hooked up yesterday, but forgot to take a picture (again) today. Will hopefully remember one tomorrow. Also, took some time to look at the new contest (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/last-splash-of-summer-giveaway-by-cultivated-reef.446770/) which offers the chance at a $250 gift card from Cultivated Reef for some nice corals once the tank is ready for life!

Just got my first order from them and was impressed. I know you have grants, but I forget, have you hit up any vendors or LFS to look for support as well? You may be surprised by the response.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where to attach them is where my issue comes in. I'm nervous about screwing anything into the stand and causing a crack ;Nailbiting
Drill a pilot hole first then fasten. Im surprised the master plumber is not interested in your water treatment plant.;)

OP
OP
Mr.Asbury

Mr.Asbury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my first order from them and was impressed. I know you have grants, but I forget, have you hit up any vendors or LFS to look for support as well? You may be surprised by the response.

I had a company message me on here to donate some pods after they saw this thread (I'll make sure they don't mind me sharing the name once they arrive), but that obviously won't be until the cycle's finished. I also had a semi-local (1.5hrs) fish/coral store offer to donate some frags. Because of the grant, however, most of my conversations with local (and some large-chain) organizations have mainly been for information to use in the classroom. There was a guy from PA that was a huge help, however; he ordered most of my equipment for me using his wholesale discount. It ended up saving me about $1,000 ;Jawdrop. That part was very helpful because we were originally planning on buying all fish/corals out of pocket for the tank.

Drill a pilot hole first then fasten. Im surprised the master plumber is not interested in your water treatment plant.;)

He helped set up the RODI to the trash cans, but he didn't know about the pumps I now have in them(until last night). He was just talking to me yesterday about how easy it would be to put a pump and a water line coming out of the garbage cans instead of using buckets, but I don't really have room to store that much pipe or hose without it being an eye-sore, and I don't want to have it permanently running across my room. The area the cans are in is a storage area shared by 6 other science teachers, and I'm already taking up a ton of room with my new stuff ;Sorry.

klisby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucky students, lucky teacher!!!
following along, seems like a great setup so far! Refugium is defiantly needed in the Biology class - so many exciting processes going on there!

Great idea, and happy that you managed to raise the funds!

OP
OP
Mr.Asbury

Mr.Asbury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucky students, lucky teacher!!!
following along, seems like a great setup so far! Refugium is defiantly needed in the Biology class - so many exciting processes going on there!

Great idea, and happy that you managed to raise the funds!

I've been considering adding on a "visible" refugium down the road to talk about all of that. Going to gage it on how the kids do with the tank this year - that tank wouldn't have a canopy over it and I don't want things to be able to "accidentally" fall into the tank. For now, we can just open up the stand to see it and to get some of the pods & algae out to look at under scopes when we talk about ecology.

Back