My AEFW journey

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you dont QT its only a matter of time before your fish/corals bring in something that can wipe out all the others. just saying with all the time and money we spend on corals and our DT a small corner for a cheap tank isnt to much money or hassle considering the ammount of money you will loose later if you dont.

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on the QT setup? Curious how it's all going as I didn't get much time to talk to ya at the meeting.

I would love to run a QT and have a 20 long that would be perfect but the fact of having 2 tanks setup doesn't sound very appealing to me at this point in time. I'd love to have it setup full time with rock and everything in it and use it as a QT but not sure if I could convince the little lady of letting me do that. LOL

All corals look pretty good. My dipping schedule is all screwed up though, because my mother was in town for the last 7 days for early xmas. My guest room is where the tank is, and the guest bathroom is where I do all my mixing of water and dipping. All of that was broken down and stored in the garage. So I will be setting everything back up tomorrow, and start dipping again. I think I am over the hump though. I will be surprised to find anything on the next round, because of the way the corals look. They have ZERO signs of worms at all. No bite marks, and good PE. But that doesnt mean that I wont continue the full 3 more weeks.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news! That stinks that you had to break it all down and move it and now move it again. I think you really like the hassle don't you??? LOL Good luck! Only 3 more weeks and your DT will be back to "normal".

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, the tank was not broken down. Just the mixing station and the area where i do all my dipping. That is a minor pain to break down, the frustration comes when you cant keep on your dipping schedule.

Typed from my phone, because I have nothing better to do.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see. I read it that you had to move the QT and everything to the garage. No more Brute's in the shower huh? LOL

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anything that I buy, will be a frag, and if it is encrusted on a plug, I will snap it off, dip, and go from there.

That right there is whats key.

I just did as you are doing and am glad I did, like you I dip everything but it was the egss that must have got me. Nothing that I Q/T going forward stays on the plug/rock or whatever it came in on. Being my tank is not your average size it was a little bit of work, but well worth it

My last 8 local trades/purchases I did yielded AEFW on half of those acros which all came from different tanks.
There are a lot of people who have AEFW and dont even realize it.

Good luck, but from the 1 page I have read you're doing it right. I made a mistake in not letting my Q/T system cycle and I lost some colonies-not from dipping but rather my ignorance

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments. I use to think that we just had a lot these flatworms locally, but the more threads I read leads me to think that they are everywhere, and unless you follow a strict dipping protocol and QT, you will eventually end up with them.

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments. I use to think that we just had a lot these flatworms locally, but the more threads I read leads me to think that they are everywhere, and unless you follow a strict dipping protocol and QT, you will eventually end up with them.

I think you are right I dip my corals and I still manage to spot red bugs in one of my corals

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I dipped all but 5 larger colonies this morning, and not a single FW was in the dip. I thought this would be the case, being that they have had good PE, and no real color loss. I have suffered a bit of STN on a couple of small frags, but overall everything has been doing well. Even the Hawkins Enchinata colony has been dipped and hasnt lost a bit of color. I think I actually have seen some growth on it too, which is crazy. I am going to dip the larger colonies in a bit, and that will tell a lot, I'll post another update soon.

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay well, I have dipped everything, and found maybe 6 small worms. And I think they were all on one millipora colony.I think that destroyed the last of them! AEFW aint got nothing on me! :whip:

Now just preventative dips for the next 4 weeks. 4 more rounds, and they are going back into the DT.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back