My aquarium has been unsuccessful

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
read the stickies in the disease forum and you will have your cause and the fix. this isn't in the sand nor any param you can measure.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned earlier, really need to get some powerheads in there and create more flow, the tank looks stagnant.

Also need more rock. Is that a real rock, it looks mad made.

A skimmer will help put oxygen in the water and pull out some of the organics

1694367389197.png

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef tanks don't suffer from oxygen issues, that's simply made up stuff from web forums. if that tank had an 02 issue the fish would be hovering at the top. how you aim a powerhead does not change your oxgenation averages in a common open-topped reef tank, there's no particular wild demand for oxygen there whatsoever above norms.

this is a skipping disease issue, due to issues you can see in the disease forum contrasted to the first sentence in this thread by the op: fish-specific losses.

Pickle, below:

where did you garner a pH issue from my oxygen statement, they're unrelated

pH isn't going to drop enough in a common reef tank to harm fish.

you believe any pH reading stated in type? someone can glance at a color tube and card, and tell you to hundredths-degree pH accuracy without fail?

Last edited:

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef tanks don't suffer from oxygen issues, that's simply made up stuff from web forums. if that tank had an 02 issue the fish would be hover at the top. how you aim a powerhead does not change your oxgenation averages in a common open-topped reef tank, there's no particular wild demand for oxygen there whatsoever above norms.

this is a skipping disease issue, due to issues you can see in the disease forum contrasted to the first sentence in this thread by the op: fish-specific losses.
So reef tanks don't suffer from low pH issues? Got it. Btw, he does have low pH

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built in carbon filter with filter socks, bio balls, and bio sponge.
I would get rid of bioballs and replace them with SeaChem Matrix. Don't take out the bioballs until the matrix is seeded with beneficial bacteria. It is some of the most porous pumice rock available. I would never run a tank without it. Make sure to clean the sponge regularly.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef tanks don't suffer from oxygen issues, that's simply made up stuff from web forums. if that tank had an 02 issue the fish would be hover at the top. how you aim a powerhead does not change your oxgenation averages in a common open-topped reef tank, there's no particular wild demand for oxygen there whatsoever above norms.

disease prep is one part of the entire hobby, it is not THE hobby.

Makes no sense to Qt a fish then drop it in stagnant soup.

Its about helping the hobbyist improve all aspects overall for the fishes happiness to enjoy its full life, and it will not have a full happy life in stagnant soup, even if it was qt'd

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very small amount of hiding places for fish which can cause stress to the fish. Stress brings on disease in many cases. If you add actual live rock it could cause a rise in ammonia so remove the fish and inverts first until the tank reaches stability. If your fish need treatment please do so in a separate aquarium to prevent problems with the biological filter in the main aquarium.

Observe normal fish behavior at the store before bringing the fish home. If you don’t recognize normal behavior look for rapid gill movement (breathing), abnormal swim patterns (head up, head down) white or black spots on the fish that are raised, torn fins, lesions on the skin. If you see anything like that leave the fish at the store and do not buy fish that are in the same tank with fish showing problems. If possible observe the fish eating at the store and make sure they are not spitting out the food after mouthing it. Just some common signs of possible health probto avoid.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve lost my other clownfish, my wrasse, my damsel, and my hawkfish.
Unfortunately there are deseases knocking around that don’t manifest thereselves with the classic white spots (assuming there were no spots or dusting). I think you’ll be leaving this tank empty for a couple of months and treating the survivor separately. However I’m not a fish medic I expect you’ll be buying some praziquantel. @Jay Hemdal will guide you, as Prazi can be used in tank and is an easy thing to administer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back