My aquarium has been unsuccessful

chaifish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’ve been losing fish consistently for the past nine months. It’s been a constant struggle to get fish to live past 6 months after acclimating.

My fish have died with what seems like swim bladder disease, or being above or below the tank gasping for air and heavy gill movement.

I have a 40 gallon tank with live sand, live rock, a protein skimmer, built in carbon filter, wave pump (it needs a replacement however), heater, and a thermometer.

I use distilled water to top off the tank. For saltwater I have been using my aquariums store brand but have recently switched to making saltwater at home. I do a 20% water change weekly and my skimmer overflows in less than 10 minutes of use. I clean the glass with my sponge once a week.

For testing parameters I use API testing kit. My numbers are listed below.

PH: 7.5
Amonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: .5
Salinity: 1.022

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really sorry to hear it. Don't give up. This can be a very frustrating hobby, but it is also 100x more rewarding. So that you don't lose fish, stop buying them for now until we figure out what's happening and how we can help you. Tell us a bit more about your set up. Do you have a sump? Is your skimmer hob? Btw, your salinity is a bit low, but it's nothing major. Try to keep it between 1.023-25.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’ve been losing fish consistently for the past nine months. It’s been a constant struggle to get fish to live past 6 months after acclimating.

My fish have died with what seems like swim bladder disease, or being above or below the tank gasping for air and heavy gill movement.

I have a 40 gallon tank with live sand, live rock, a protein skimmer, built in carbon filter, wave pump (it needs a replacement however), heater, and a thermometer.

I use distilled water to top off the tank. For saltwater I have been using my aquariums store brand but have recently switched to making saltwater at home. I do a 20% water change weekly and my skimmer overflows in less than 10 minutes of use. I clean the glass with my sponge once a week.

20% water changes are a bit much. Let your tank settle in a bit. It will find itself. How is the flow in your tank? Do you have surface agitation to help with gas exchanges? What you seem to be dealing with, is nothing that this community can't fix.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

You still got fish left in the tank?

OP
OP
C

chaifish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really sorry to hear it. Don't give up. This can be a very frustrating hobby, but it is also 100x more rewarding. So that you don't lose fish, stop buying them for now until we figure out what's happening and how we can help you. Tell us a bit more about your set up. Do you have a sump? Is your skimmer hob? Btw, your salinity is a bit low, but it's nothing major. Try to keep it between 1.023-25.

OP
OP
C

chaifish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tunze doc 9001 protein skimmer. For the filtration system I have the sicce syncra silent pump along with the activated carbon, bio balls, and bio sponge from water box aquariums.

OP
OP
C

chaifish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20% water changes are a bit much. Let your tank settle in a bit. It will find itself. How is the flow in your tank? Do you have surface agitation to help with gas exchanges? What you seem to be dealing with, is nothing that this community can't fix.
I run the syncra silent pump on low. I did have the aio wave pump running on medium flow but about 2 weeks ago it stopped working.

OP
OP
C

chaifish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 61

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest you purchase Hanna, Salifert or Red Sea for your test kits. Skip Nitrite. API will always show .25 for ammonia not zero. Hanna is the easiest to use. Is this a fish only tank? Are you using an RODI unit to make your water? Something is in the water to make your skimmer go nuts. For example, I purchase padding from my LFS to use in plastic buckets instead of filter socks in my sump. Unless I rinse and soak it well, it will cause my skimmer to overflow.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tell us about your disease management approach, the most likely cause here.

post a tank pic, the non dead stuff in the pic is how we narrow down to fish disease, bad params would kill it all. fish are the last to die due to bad params you can measure and report to us with a reef tank test kit. 99% of all new reefers skip disease preps, that's the most likely cause. they don't practice any biosecurity at all.

OP
OP
C

chaifish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest you purchase Hanna, Salifert or Red Sea for your test kits. Skip Nitrite. API will always show .25 for ammonia not zero. Hanna is the easiest to use. Is this a fish only tank? Are you using an RODI unit to make your water? Something is in the water to make your skimmer go nuts. For example, I purchase padding from my LFS to use in plastic buckets instead of filter socks in my sump. Unless I rinse and soak it well, it will cause my skimmer to overflow.
This is a fish and invertebrate (crabs) only tank. I use distilled water and LFS water.

OP
OP
C

chaifish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

post a tank pic, the non dead stuff in the pic is how we narrow down to fish disease

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 95
OP
OP
C

chaifish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

post a tank pic, the non dead stuff in the pic is how we narrow down to fish disease, bad params would kill it all. fish are the last to die due to bad params you can measure and report to us with a reef tank test kit. 99% of all new reefers skip disease preps, that's the most likely cause. they don't practice any biosecurity at all.
If it’s ick I’ve used the API super cure to medicate the tank. If a fish has been injured I’ve used stress guard from seachem. If it’s parasites I have used copper safe from fritz but to be honest it worsens their condition. I also add more saltwater to the tank.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya the skimmer going nuts has me thinking something in the water is not good. Chemicals of any kind will make your skimmer go nuts. I wonder if something in the water your lfs is giving you. Also be careful putting hands in the tank. If you have dish soap or cleaning solution on your hands that will kill stuff i. Tank.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now vote 100% fish disease. that's not fallow nor quarantine, nor are the added corals and CUC fallowed.

need tank pic for the final assessment

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back