My aqueon dark zero build

DKPminus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.. you’re in the right place , lots of friendly knowledgeable ppl here. Been thinking about seahorses myself, have to see if they would be ok in a mixed reef, oh and I have some mangrove in my fuge but my tank is 30” tall. would like to put some in but the tops have to be out of water, I think. keep the pics on your progress coming..

OP
OP
Rizzle30

Rizzle30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 30" tall tank would be cool, and greet for seahorses, although I'm not sure how they would do with other reef fishes. It probably depends on if they are fast fishes or not. If so they would probably gobble up all of the food before the seahorses could get thier fill.

I've heard slower fishes do fine with seahorses.

Id say it's definitely worth looking into. I have a 44 gallon pentagon tank that has other fish in it but I decided on setting up a seahorse species only tank so that the seahorses will be nice and comfortable. Still trying to figure out if I'm going to invest in a chiller or just get a cooling fan. I've read seahorses generally live longer in cooler water around 68 degrees or so.

I sure will keep posting pics on progress, since I'm just starting to cycle my new tank its going to be awhile before I add the seahorses but keep an eye out, they'll be there when it's ready for them.

Let me know if you end up getting some seahorses for your mixed reef, feel free to share pictures of your current set up as well!

stewie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome
finding nemo fish GIF by Monterey Bay Aquarium

OP
OP
Rizzle30

Rizzle30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installing a hob qq1 bubble magus protein skimmer next. Currently looking at best way to cool the tank without completely breaking the bank. Thinking of going with chill solutions nano chiller although it still costs a pretty penny at over $200 but the seahorses will need the temperature consistently cooler. Open to listen to suggestions as well.

Thanks again everyone and will keep updating my progress.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installing a hob qq1 bubble magus protein skimmer next. Currently looking at best way to cool the tank without completely breaking the bank. Thinking of going with chill solutions nano chiller although it still costs a pretty penny at over $200 but the seahorses will need the temperature consistently cooler. Open to listen to suggestions as well.

Thanks again everyone and will keep updating my progress.
Have you tried fans? Here an inexpensive fan on my 90g clipped to my lights and tied to my Apex for on/off temps.

6C3E4A78-D925-4246-AAEE-9AD80FD32CE6.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rizzle30

Rizzle30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been considered using cooling fans. I found several that would work. Some hob/clip on style ones and even a couple i could attach to the bottom of my tank cover as there is about a 2-3 inch gap to the waterline from the top of the cover. Definitely lots to consider for cooling. Thanks for the suggestion!

OP
OP
Rizzle30

Rizzle30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may have to go with under the hood/cover fans if I go that route as I'm running out of space to clip a fan on with my mangroves taking up the feeding opening and my hob protein skimmer and canister filter inlet and outlet taking up the back opening. I'm trying to get creative with usable equipment space, which i think is a delema for most of us in the hobby.

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Yep, plenty of vertical room, about 20 inches or maybe slightly more. Just ordered some mangrove shoots to plant for hitching posts.

Possibly going to add turtle grass as well.

So definitely leaning more towards seahorses at this point but cuddlefish are so dang cool tough decisions

Id say it's definitely worth looking into. I have a 44 gallon pentagon tank that has other fish in it but I decided on setting up a seahorse species only tank so that the seahorses will be nice and comfortable. Still trying to figure out if I'm going to invest in a chiller or just get a cooling fan. I've read seahorses generally live longer in cooler water around 68 degrees or so.

Sounds like a third tank is in order...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back