My bio cube

Leeroy32080

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all this is my first thread on this site. Have posted reply's in the past but first thread I have started . Here is my little bio cube 14
image.jpg

I started my first reef in a fluval spec V here is an early pic of it:
image.jpeg

Anyway I ran that tank for a year before a friend of mine told me he was going to give me his bio cube. He had a red slime bloom that got out of control and wiped out his corals. It broke his heart and couldn't start from scratch. With his cube I got a falco hawkfish which is a current inhabitant in my cube.

To the spec:
In back,

I replaced the back filter pump which was an aqua euro sp-160 with an hydor centrifugal pump 300gph which fits nicely in the pump area.
For machanical filtration I am running a small square of filter floss prior to a foam block.
Chem filtration, I am using fluval clearmax, followed by activated carbon, and finally purigen
I have a 100w preset heater that is connected to an inkbird temp regulator

In front I have a pair of hydor koralia nano 240's connected to a koralia smart wave controller.

My lighting is an AI Prime on a 12" flex neck mount.

image.jpeg

I used fluval sea epoxy putty to seal off the bypass vents on the left there and made a nice little ledge for some coral once I find something to my liking to put there. The only live thing I kept from my friends tank was the falco hawkfish as I don't want any of the issues that wiped his tank to repeat.

I transferred over all my love rock and added a couple pieces of dry rock that I still had lying around worked great for a build up. I also transferred about 90% of the water from my 5g to and used a filter bag with some of my substrate in the filter compartment to help with bacteria colonization.

OP
OP
Leeroy32080

Leeroy32080

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any 1 got some good tips for cleaning the glass? The bent corners are giving me hell cant use my scraper that I use to and the scrub pads are only slightly effective

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any 1 got some good tips for cleaning the glass? The bent corners are giving me hell cant use my scraper that I use to and the scrub pads are only slightly effective
I use a flipper nano (used the original flipper before the nano came out) on my biocube 14. The blade part can be used to get the corners, it will come about halfway into the corner if you are swiping it horizontally, so you have to come at it from each direction - if that makes sense

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could u use a magic eraser? I know some of that coralline algae is a son of a gun tho. Good luck, cubes looking good

OP
OP
Leeroy32080

Leeroy32080

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, been crazy busy recently haven't had a chance to post anyway here is a new pic maybe someone can help me identify this alge growth and options I have. Just as I have been doing with the bubble alge I have been manually removing each week unlike the bubble it is much harder and seems to spread faster the the bubble alge.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back