My bTAs are getting smaller??

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my indo green speckled is doing fine. But quad is shrinking. All my parameters are in check. Can a bad scheduled lighting cause bTAs 2 crash. 1 day it's perfect then the next is bad. No inflation

OP
OP
Sir Chris

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These 2.

IMG_3498.JPG

IMG_3497.JPG

OP
OP
Sir Chris

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And my sebea. No signs of anything from it and would think it would show some sign.

IMG_3512.JPG

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First - Freakin' awesome lookin' Seabae. Those jokers are hard to keep since most are super bleached when purchased and may suffer from good ol' bulb foot. Bonus for clown hostin'! S'far as your BTA is concerned: She(2nd pic) looks pretty grouchy - the tentacles loosing mass/length isn't good. Her mouth is still closed though...I see she is hanging out near some star polyps - maybe they are buggin' her(wild speculation).

Best of luck! Hope they get right!

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine looked like that for months and I couldn't figure it out. Last weekend I moved it to (what I think is) a better location. It's looked much more bubble tipped the last couple of days. Things worth mentioning: My magnesium was low for the past couple months and the location I moved the anemone to has stronger light. That's the only real changes that I can think of.

OP
OP
Sir Chris

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I just now dosed my mag. I like doing it at night when lights are off so it can chemically do what it does with the calcium. I have been sick so I might have not dosed it 3 days ago and might b the problem. So did 10% waterchange a few hrs ago and just the mag now. So I'll see in the am if it's absorbed any and move em both. I hope there not goin 2 wedge themselves during he night. It wasn't on my log but I may have just added it.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting type are you using? To me those anemones look like they have the classic signs of chronic starvation. Tentacles are stubby and wide spread across the surface of the anemone. I see sps in the system so I am stumped.

OP
OP
Sir Chris

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting type are you using? To me those anemones look like they have the classic signs of chronic starvation. Tentacles are stubby and wide spread across the surface of the anemone. I see sps in the system so I am stumped.
Got coral plus and a 10k. Was think of moving coral plus to 10k and putting attintic back. It's a 48' on a 30g tank. Burnt ballast and have a 75g getting goin

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time you changed out the bulbs?

OP
OP
Sir Chris

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ballast is 4 months old. And he bulbs were changed 2 months

OP
OP
Sir Chris

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so check this weirdness. So my speckled is looking like it's going 2 split while my quad is the size of a dime. It inflated for 20 mins 2nite then back. And the indo

IMG_3752.JPG

IMG_3756.JPG

OP
OP
Sir Chris

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameters are 5.0NO3.O or undectactable ammonia and NO2. I was hoping it was PH but was 7.8 almost 8. Don't have a dkh and 440 calc and no mag test but dose like always and it's 2 years now with the quad. I woke up and the quad was in the Sebeas mouth!!! So that's y the rock as it's not stickn always. The indo is. I took a shot during the day while I came home from lunch this is stressing me so bad. And an atintic just for the info. As I'm stumped and dont wanna lose em. The Indos grown since the quad hasn't oddly. Thx

IMG_3753.JPG

IMG_3757.JPG

OP
OP
Sir Chris

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooo. Just remembered last night the sebea was lookn deflated and my dunkins were closed up. Have 2 Pom Pom crabs and isn't affecting them or there poms

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm not wrong in reading this, you have 2 t5 bulbs on your 30 gallon tank. If that is correct, this is the main reason your anemones shrinking is not enough flight. Here's a picture of my old nano, after being set up for a few months, parameters swing, temperature swings, salinity swings, no water changes . But I rand 200 watt led fixture (just blue and white) on a 29 gallon and the par on the anemones was about 300-350. Now I have one of these anemones under a kessil 160 and it's 1/4 size of what it use to be. They are not finicky creatures, but they do need an ample amount of light. Invest in one or two of those Chinese led fixtures for ~ 100 each , they do wonders for the price.
IMG_0702.JPG

OP
OP
Sir Chris

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had em for 2 years and no problems. Now here inflated but not fully. But there no longer looking like there dying. Lfs said they'll deflate for a few days sometimes 2 purge then inflate and purge and back 2 normal. I want 2 get a ap700 but. O $ right now. Might have 2 ask the old rents for some $ 2 keep my investments on point. Everything else is blowing up. Here's a new shot and my sebea is insane. I need 2 move 2 my 75g now!! Also it's 20g marineland

IMG_3779.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sir Chris

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how can I maintain high demand sps with light but saying the 48'T5s arnt enough

OP
OP
Sir Chris

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And also stunning bTAs. I'm severely jellious but as soon as they return I'm getting a speckled rose. He wants 100$ for it and I could tell it just split. And how can I get em 2 split. There advo mad and won't and happy they won't. It's like I have 2 cut em and I can't do that...

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how can I maintain high demand sps with light but saying the 48'T5s arnt enough
This is just my opinion, and I might be wrong. You can definitely keep the sps alive under very little light especially montis. However, if you are experiencing slow growth on the sps, stn, a lot of brown color on corals that should be red or green etc. , or anemones, If your zoas/palys duncans , reach out for light, this might mean that a set up is lacking some light. This might also mean that t5 bulbs might need replacing.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%

Back