My clownfish has been like this for about 3 week's

Yoyomojo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So I've had my tank for close to a year now. I've the clown that I need help with was my first fish. About 3 week's ago, she started doing this. All of my other fish are doing great. Including my bubble black molly having fry. I check my water every week. I've done a 25% water change two days ago. I'm at a loss on what is going on. Please be nice in the comments

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it ever swim normally?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So I've had my tank for close to a year now. I've the clown that I need help with was my first fish. About 3 week's ago, she started doing this. All of my other fish are doing great. Including my bubble black molly having fry. I check my water every week. I've done a 25% water change two days ago. I'm at a loss on what is going on. Please be nice in the comments
The clownfish appears to have injured its mouth which probably explains why it looks so underfed.
Mollies will pretty much be able to lay eggs regardless of whats going on so i wouldnt use them as a gauge.
You said you checked the water but what equipment are you using to check it (refractometer and calibration solution? test kit brands?) and what were the actual levels. This tank looks like it has a lot of artificial rock and decorations which dont really help bacterial populations as they are low to nonporous. Im thinking oxygen issue or other parameter issue as well as a mouth injury. The clownfish doesnt look long for this world tbh

OP
OP
Y

Yoyomojo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mollie's have live birthing. And they can be picky on water parameter, I know that because I have raised them many times. Now the rock's are live rock's. Not fake one's. I have a Marine test kit. I tested for ph, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. All are at 0. Except nitrates are at an 11ppm. The other test I have the LFS shop do it. That's also where I get my fish. I'm pretty sure it's got an injury on its mouth. I was just trying to figure out why she's swimming like that . I'm not trying to be rude. And sorry if it came out like that

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty Sebastiancrab

Just so you know for the future, look under "forums" at the top left and then scroll down. You will see one for "fish disease treatment & diagnosis". This is where you will want to post a fish problem in the future. The forum sections have lots of good "stickies" and areas where you will create a post for your particular issue.

Hopefully, Jay will be on soon. He is the resident staff medic.

OP
OP
Y

Yoyomojo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just so you know for the future, look under "forums" at the top left and then scroll down. You will see one for "fish disease treatment & diagnosis". This is where you will want to post a fish problem in the future. The forum sections have lots of good "stickies" and areas where you will create a post for your particular issue.

Hopefully, Jay will be on soon. He is the resident staff medic.
Ty for letting me know that. I definitely will do that next time

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it just swam like that at times, I'd say normal clown behavior. But if you are saying it is like this 24/7, then there's clearly an issue. It looks thin and I'm guessing isn't eating if it cannot right itself. Perhaps a #mod can move this to the disease forum and get some more knowledgeable eyes on it. #fishmedic

OP
OP
Y

Yoyomojo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely not normal for her. And yes, she's gotten super small this last week, from not eating. And not quite 24/7. When I turn off the lights at night, she sits and lays on the bottom. Then she gets up when I turn the lights back on.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely not normal for her. And yes, she's gotten super small this last week, from not eating. And not quite 24/7. When I turn off the lights at night, she sits and lays on the bottom. Then she gets up when I turn the lights back on.

Sorry for the delay, I was offline.

This looks a lot like some mechanical issue that is causing the fish not to be able to close its mouth and/or feed normally. Ingestion of a rock is one possibility. Sometimes tumors grow and block a fish's ability to feed.

There really isn't any way to rectify that sort of problem. Do you have a hanging basket/isolation tank that you could move it to in the hopes of being able to get it to feed?

Jay

OP
OP
Y

Yoyomojo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay, I was offline.

This looks a lot like some mechanical issue that is causing the fish not to be able to close its mouth and/or feed normally. Ingestion of a rock is one possibility. Sometimes tumors grow and block a fish's ability to feed.

There really isn't any way to rectify that sort of problem. Do you have a hanging basket/isolation tank that you could move it to in the hopes of being able to get it to feed?

Jay
It's ok Jay. I've actually tried to feed her on her own. Nothing that we've done is helping. I honestly think that she's to far gone. She's been laying down for the last 2 days now. Her mate keeps watch on her and keeps her safe from the other fish. And a rock seems right. She was constantly trying to clean the rock's where they stayed.. it just breaks my heart to see her like this. Is there anything we can possibly do? Or is she to far gone

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick death might be the best thing you can do for her at this point.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here is the video
I dont see signs of aggression or disease and fish has become moribund which is a state it may or not make it and I can assume it is not eating because of buoyancy issue.

OP
OP
Y

Yoyomojo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I've been at work for the last ten hours. I've had my husband check on her when he got up. And he's pretty sure she's not going to make it through the night. She's to weak to swim now, and she's lost all her beautiful colors
I agree with @Cell , this seems to be to be a surefire mechanical injury. Those rarely heal correctly.
This is how good she was

Attachments

• VID_20220718_221538783.mp4
    17.8 MB
Back