My Clownfish is moving its mouth rapidly!!!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm easily amused and somewhat bewildered by your comments but I'm ok with it, I'll tag along
You needn't be bewildered - I was typing on my phone. There have been numerous studies/comparisons on API vs other tests - with no significant differences found. I do not think an API test is the problem here. This would be one thing upon which I disagree with Jay - and Vetteguy. The issue is - is the result significant. If someone has a 0.25 ammonia level in a tank - who cares - the free ammonia is insignificant - one caveat - unless it's going to be 1 tomorrow - but there should be a clear reason. I find your comment above not amusing - and slightly insulting - but - I frankly don't care:)

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You needn't be bewildered - I was typing on my phone. There have been numerous studies/comparisons on API vs other tests - with no significant differences found. I do not think an API test is the problem here. This would be one thing upon which I disagree with Jay - and Vetteguy. The issue is - is the result significant. If someone has a 0.25 ammonia level in a tank - who cares - the free ammonia is insignificant - one caveat - unless it's going to be 1 tomorrow - but there should be a clear reason. I find your comment above not amusing - and slightly insulting - but - I frankly don't care:)
Ok I'm unsure on which comment I made to make you react to my brief comments? Or questions? Like I'm an API test kit lol, it's just normal questions to make you respond like your questions and remarks now, please let me know if I have offended you, I feel my constructive post may of offended you so unsure how to provide a genuine response/criticism. Please let me know how I offended you

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok I'm unsure on which comment I made to make you react to my brief comments? Or questions? Like I'm an API test kit lol, it's just normal questions to make you respond like your questions and remarks now, please let me know if I have offended you, I feel my constructive post may of offended you so unsure how to provide a genuine response/criticism. Please let me know how I offended you
Strawman argument- you didn't offend me - likely - the difficulty interpreting text instead of speech - all good

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other day I got a new clownfish and. His mouth was opening and closing really fast he died but now my current clowns mouth is like this and I have had here for two years I don’t know what to do and I don’t want her to die. Also she is not eat food today or which is not normal for her. Does anyone know what is going on and what i should do. Thanks in advance.
Ok tank parimiters to start. That's it... Best advice given is via the most amount of information about your aquarium... To start...

OP
OP
UkiahTheTurtle

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok tank parimiters to start. That's it... Best advice given is via the most amount of information about your aquarium... To start...
Already posted it but here are the parameters again
Tank Size: 20gallons
Stocking: 1 female clown, 1 firefish, 1 tailspot blenny, 1 skunk cleaner shrimp, 1 peppermint shrimp, and a bunch of soft coral lps and sps
I only have a API test sorry but these are my parameters
PH: 8.2
Calcium: 480ppm
KH: 214ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 40ppm
Phosphate: .25ppm
I know the nitrate is too high but I am doing a water change. The thing that makes me think it is not the water is that all my other fish are fine and my brand new clownfish that just died was doing that before he died 2 days ago. A photo of the tank
image.jpg

Photo of the clown
image.jpg

Video of her:
Also all the other fish look fine.i

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have read.
In my 45g 200litre I have 2 clowns, 4 firefish, 2 chromis, pistol shrimp, fire shrimp, strawberry lipped conch, various hermits and snails, mandarin, green candy cane, firework clove polyp, richordia mushroom x 5, unknown mushroom x 1, GSP x 1, bounce mushroom x 2

Attachments

• IMG20220814123303.jpg
    IMG20220814123303.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 20

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to see parasites on a white clown. It may be velvet and the other fish haven't been attacked yet. Velvet will kill very quickly. The breathing does seem increased. Do you have a hospital tank set up? Copper? Can you do a dip with Ruby Reef Rally Pro or Hydroplex? It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and move him to the hospital tank and treat with Copper or Rally Pro. Hopefully, Jay will take a look again and offer his wisdom.

Make sure you use an air stone.

OP
OP
UkiahTheTurtle

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to see parasites on a white clown. It may be velvet and the other fish haven't been attacked yet. Velvet will kill very quickly. The breathing does seem increased. Do you have a hospital tank set up? Copper? Can you do a dip with Ruby Reef Rally Pro or Hydroplex? It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and move him to the hospital tank and treat with Copper or Rally Pro. Hopefully, Jay will take a look again and offer his wisdom.
No I don’t have any medication or the ability to set up a hospital tank

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don’t have any medication or the ability to set up a hospital tank
This is how I lost my first female clown. I added a new clown that had brook and they both died a few days apart.

Maybe go buy a cheap 5 or 10 gallons at Walmart of use a plastic bin ?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if you can order Ruby Reef Rally Pro on Amazon, Chewy or get at your LFS. It is reef safe and will deal with velvet and other parasites. If you have velvet and don't move quickly, you will probably lose all your fish.

I have learned in this hobby, it is best to have a medicine cabinet.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll let the experts chime in
I can’t get the meds soon enough and no where near me Carries it would a freshwater dip or epsom salt bath help?
I know it’s tempting to act fast, but as said above wait for one of the pros to get a proper diagnosis on the issue so we don’t stress the fish out with the wrong corrective actions, but what we can do in the meantime is….
Get another quality picture and videos incase needed, and start prepping for a qt setup.
Wether a bin or a cheap tank get it set up with water, heater, flow and some pvc.
If one fish is getting treated then they all are getting treated and the tanks going fallow!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back