My Clownfish is moving its mouth rapidly!!!

OP
OP
UkiahTheTurtle

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll let the experts chime in

I know it’s tempting to act fast, but as said above wait for one of the pros to get a proper diagnosis on the issue so we don’t stress the fish out with the wrong corrective actions, but what we can do in the meantime is….
Get another quality picture and videos incase needed, and start prepping for a qt setup.
Wether a bin or a cheap tank get it set up with water, heater, flow and some pvc.
If one fish is getting treated then they all are getting treated and the tanks going fallow!
I really can’t have a quarantine tank I don’t have any space

OP
OP
UkiahTheTurtle

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2CD21CDC-6F9F-4F3C-9538-E307FDDF60AA.jpeg

Now my tailspot blenny looks like this what do I do will they last overnight?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I can’t get the meds soon enough and no where near me Carries it would a freshwater dip or epsom salt bath help?
FW bath will buy time, and epsom useless in a salt environment as you are already utilizing salt. Epsom for freshwater fish cures.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You needn't be bewildered - I was typing on my phone. There have been numerous studies/comparisons on API vs other tests - with no significant differences found. I do not think an API test is the problem here. This would be one thing upon which I disagree with Jay - and Vetteguy. The issue is - is the result significant. If someone has a 0.25 ammonia level in a tank - who cares - the free ammonia is insignificant - one caveat - unless it's going to be 1 tomorrow - but there should be a clear reason. I find your comment above not amusing - and slightly insulting - but - I frankly don't care:)
This is about water quality and a clown in distress. API is often a failure for many reefers and many have attested to such. Not sure why API has to be a discussion when water quality is in question.
You often state API accurate when properly used - Define Properly as I will Never Ever trust a failed $24 test kit to sustain what I have is over $2500 in livestock or more.
Those numbers and issue dont add up and as stated, I suspect false readings.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
#fishmedic I really need answers. Also the medication arrives sometime tomorrow how long can the fish last once sytoms are shown?
I understand this and as long as water quality and oxygen is good, fish should also be. Keeping llights low and if possible using an airstone will keep fish in check

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So should I bath her and the blenny or just her?
If youre asking about FW bath. . . . . . it can often stress a fish. Give the fish in question a dip and IF symptoms show on any others, them too

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other day I got a new clownfish and. His mouth was opening and closing really fast he died but now my current clowns mouth is like this and I have had here for two years I don’t know what to do and I don’t want her to die. Also she is not eat food today or which is not normal for her. Does anyone know what is going on and what i should do. Thanks in advance.
Hi,

Here is my thought pattern on this:

Lots of responses here, I scanned them, but didn't see if this was asked: are the invertebrates in the tank fine? If so, and given the new fish added to the tank, and then the sequential loss of fish, it is not a water quality issue, but rather, a fish disease. Given the symptom of rapid breathing, it is a gill disease. The most common gill disease that kills quickly is velvet. To treat that, you need to move all fish to a treatment tank and dose with copper. You might try a 5 minute FW dip as you move the fish. The trouble is, velvet kills so quickly, that once fish loss has begun, treatments may not work fast enough - sorry!

I think the third post in, by @threebuoys was spot on.

Jay

OP
OP
UkiahTheTurtle

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Here is my thought pattern on this:

Lots of responses here, I scanned them, but didn't see if this was asked: are the invertebrates in the tank fine? If so, and given the new fish added to the tank, and then the sequential loss of fish, it is not a water quality issue, but rather, a fish disease. Given the symptom of rapid breathing, it is a gill disease. The most common gill disease that kills quickly is velvet. To treat that, you need to move all fish to a treatment tank and dose with copper. You might try a 5 minute FW dip as you move the fish. The trouble is, velvet kills so quickly, that once fish loss has begun, treatments may not work fast enough - sorry!

I think the third post in, by @threebuoys was spot on.

Jay
So my fish made it through the night and I noticed some flukes on them I’m wondering if they have gill flukes at this point also my LFS that I trust told me to dose the tank with prazi pro for the flukes

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to use both Rally Pro and PraziPro. Rally will treat the flukes & ich and yes, it is reef safe.
Kindly read the directions.

I don't like people to rely on Ruby Reef at display tank dosing levels to control flukes, I don't think it is strong enough. Perhaps as a dip, but then, FW works just as well. Praziquantel/Prazipro is a better choice and just as, if not safer.

Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back