My clowns spawned for 2nd time

puchowave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of ocellaris clowns one black and the other orange this is the second time they spawned but i guess i'm going to need some help to learn more about it,right now they are in a 120gls frag tank with other fishes, the first time i know the fishes ate all the fry but this time i would like to try raise them so any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome and congrats! Got any pics?

Also a good book to buy and read is called Clownfishes by Joyce D. Wilkerson.

OP
OP
puchowave

puchowave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took this pics today with my cell phone but can't get any clear shot.
20120321_192209.jpg

20120321_192149.jpg

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I see a lot of brine shrimp hatcheries in your future. Wonder which color the will be.

S@ltydog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats!

What are the eggs on? It looks like something on the eggcrate. If possible move them to a tank of their own. Baby brine (nauplii) are super easy to hatch and very inexpensive. This is what the fry should eat first so you may want to look into a brine shrimp hatchery as reefkeeper10 said. You can build your own real cheap like as well. If you need any help lemme know.

I'm also curious what the babies will look like! That's awesome!

OP
OP
puchowave

puchowave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend told me that i have to give them rotifers for the fist 10 or 15 days because brine shrimp is a little big for the larvae in their first stage.

S@ltydog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep they will eat rotifers for about 7-10 days. You just have to make sure they are all eating baby brine ok prior to cutting off the rotifers. Nauplii are very small if you haven't seen them before. The baby brine take 1-3 days to hatch so keep that in mind. I would recommend getting decapsulated brine as the fish can actually choke on the egg shell.

The whole process starts with making a phytoplankton culture to feed the rotifers. You may want to get some floss for cleaning the rotifer container when you do water changes as well if you havent already. Then graduate to decapsulated nauplii and so on.

Good luck!

OP
OP
puchowave

puchowave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pics are from today y noticed something silver in the eggs i guess are the eyes of the larvae.
IMG_7529.jpg

IMG_7531.jpg

cannon77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skip the entire brine shrimp regiment and go from rots to TDO (top dressed otohime) as do most breeders. There are enough hassles and headaches without messing with the brine shrimp. If you get a system that worls for you and the brine do not add that much more to what you are doing, go for it!! For us, we have 15 pairs.....thats enough work with the phyto, rots and tdo. Just my .02 here!

phil519

Got Rotifers?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not as experienced as canon - but i agree. Rotifers until a little after meta, then try to wean them to otohime. I have no idea what "top dressed" means though.

As for rotifers - they can survive on a product sold by Reed mariculture - i think it's now rotifer plus. When i raised my fry I skipped phyto.

As for harvesting the fry - you could purchase something online to help vacuum the fry as they come to the surface, or go the manual method of flashlight, siphon/bucket. Turn off the pumps on the 8th day or so (7 to 10 depending) and turn off all the lights except for your flashlight at the surface...then wait.

Good luck. You're going to need a good culture of rotifers going before even bothering trying to catch the fry. Get yourself a sieve to harvest the rotifers too.

cannon77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top dressed otohime is a new breeders formula from Reed Mariculture, its very very good food and the "top dressed" part is just an added ingredient that helps the fry develop great coloring. And yes, start some rotifer cultures going asap and get used to them......they can be a pain, so have a few cultures going, you WILL crash some along the way ;) For rotifer feed, we use Reeds product called Rotigrow complete, it has Chloram-x in it and it helps control ammonia in the cultures.

JackoChang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top dressed otohime is a new breeders formula from Reed Mariculture, its very very good food and the "top dressed" part is just an added ingredient that helps the fry develop great coloring. And yes, start some rotifer cultures going asap and get used to them......they can be a pain, so have a few cultures going, you WILL crash some along the way ;) For rotifer feed, we use Reeds product called Rotigrow complete, it has Chloram-x in it and it helps control ammonia in the cultures.

Talking about this stuff?
uploadfromtaptalk1333353050299.jpg

cannon77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep thats it, there are several different sizes to pick from. They range from "A" (fine powder for fry) all the way to EP2 (large pellets for larger adult species) If you can order the breeders pack, it has one small pack of each size. Awesome stuff!!

JackoChang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep thats it, there are several different sizes to pick from. They range from "A" (fine powder for fry) all the way to EP2 (large pellets for larger adult species) If you can order the breeders pack, it has one small pack of each size. Awesome stuff!!

Heck yes! They gave away samples at a local show, grabbed one of each. My clowns are coloring up nicely.

OP
OP
puchowave

puchowave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter was a the hospital for a couple of days i wasn't at home on time and the fishes ate the fry again so i'm start to build a tank to put the pair apart and to try put some tiles so this way i can remove the eggs more easy but first i have to start a rotifer culture as you said and thank you all for the info.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back