My Current QT Process

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using metro during copper even more of a reason to use Prazipro instead of GC post copper.

Prazipro is liquid praziquantel
GC contains both metronidazole and praziquantel in powder form

If I have to use prazi during copper then I would elect to use GC because there is a slightly lesser chance for a bacterial bloom since the powder form doesn't contain any alcohol. The liquid form does which can fuel the bacterial bloom.
Yes I get all that, I was just wondering if you do 2 rounds of GC/Prazi after the tank transfer, or just 1?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I get all that, I was just wondering if you do 2 rounds of GC/Prazi after the tank transfer, or just 1?
Sorry I misunderstood you a bit there...
Two rounds 5-7 days apart. Post Transfer.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm using GC, should I follow the box directions (48 hours apart) or still do the 5-7 days apart?
You actually don't want to follow the box instructions as they do not allow enough time for all of the eggs to hatch. Praziquantel only kills live worms not the eggs. That is why its necessary to allow enough incubation time so that all laid eggs can hatch and then the second round wipes out any hatchlings.

If you enter your parameters in this calendar calculator it will tell you exactly when to administer the second dose:

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @HotRocks I have a question for you, the tldr version is: what do you do when a fish won’t eat (and hence you suspect internal parasites)? Are these the fish you end up losing most often in qt?

I recently lost a pygmy geometric perchlet i got from LA DD in qt to internal parasites- it barely ever ate in 3 weeks and seemed to be in some discomfort as time went on. It died while passing stringy white poop (first time I saw it poop in the 3 weeks).

What would you have done in this situation? I got it through copper as fast as I could, feeding live bbs, black worms and medicated frozen food (it ate nothing but the baby brine). Then I moved it to a new qt and dosed GC/metro while continuing to feed medicated food, thanks to some advice from other r2r members I found that it would eat once in a while when thenflow was very high. But there was no way to get enough medicated food into it to fight what must have been a bad infection. I even considered force feeding it but chickened out.

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks wouldn't it be better to soak pellets in Prazipro liquid and metroplex powder? That way there is a higher concentration of each in the food? Then also dose prazi and metro instead of GC into the water column?

mygsris2slo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks wouldn't it be better to soak pellets in Prazipro liquid and metroplex powder? That way there is a higher concentration of each in the food? Then also dose prazi and metro instead of GC into the water column?

I don't want to step on @HotRocks as they are the resident expert around here, but my understanding is GC contains sufficient quantities of each to be considered therapeutic.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to step on @HotRocks as they are the resident expert around here, but my understanding is GC contains sufficient quantities of each to be considered therapeutic.
Correct and GC is also recommend because it contains metronidazole as well. So you are covering both intestinal parasites and worms with GC whereas just using Prazipro will only cover the worm component.

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct and GC is also recommend because it contains metronidazole as well. So you are covering both intestinal parasites and worms with GC whereas just using Prazipro will only cover the worm component.
That's why I said to use metroplex, that way you get higher concentrations of both prazi and metro, and have a better chance of killing GC resistant parasites. Both externally and internally.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks Do you run carbon after the initial dose of Prazi, or let it run for 6-7 days, and dose again? At what point should I run carbon?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks Do you run carbon after the initial dose of Prazi, or let it run for 6-7 days, and dose again? At what point should I run carbon?
I don't run any carbon ever. Just dose, wait 5-7 days, do the 25% WC and re-dose.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then that is the last step, 14 days post observation and into the DT right?
Yes that is what I do. I count the seven days of prazi as part of the 14.

So about a week after prazi I move them into DT.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks
Tang has been at therapeutic levels for 13 days.
At 2.08 to 2.12ppm. He still scratches here and there. Possibly scratching from copper or possible flukes? After transfer I’ll do 2 rounds GC on day 1 and day 5-7 after transfer. Any reason not to transfer this fish today? Or wait until tomorrow? Both life cycles of ich and velvet have had there chance to do their thing. Hotrocks, good call on the rapid breathing. Seems to be no worse than it was. I’ve just waited it out. To transfer or not to transfer. That is the question.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back