Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I may try another source - or even a local place
[/QUOTE

Qting fish has a real learning curvep - some people have tons of experience and resources at their disposal and lose very few fish, others are just stating to learn and have fewer resources and most people are in between those poles. Wrasses are more difficult to qt than many other fish, your experience with this wrasse and the dottyback and blenny (which will hopefully end with two healthy fish going into your DT) will help you when you get your next fish and qt it.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed what I'd imagine to be some stringy poop.

Someone wanna confirm or deny?
IMG_20190829_200327.jpg

IMG_20190829_200328.jpg

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been feeding for probably about 10 now. First noticing it though so maybe it's almost cured - fingers crossed. Is it contagious?
The parasites most likely entered the water column, but it doesn't guarantee that the other fish will be infected. If there are still symptoms after 3 weeks, use fenbendazole soaked instead.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks @4FordFamily
Temp 78
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate < 10ppm
Spg 1.018
Copper 2.08
20 gallon long
Aquaclear 50
MJ1200 pointed at surface for gas exchange.

First yellow tang bought on 8-9-19. Specific gravity matched to shipping parameters. Temp matched then released. Raised copper over three days to 2.0ppm per Hanna Checker. Fish eating normal throughout ramp up. Tang breathing fast on 8-22-19, but still eating well. Decided to do a 5 min FW dip to check for flukes. Tang handled dip fine. Put back in tank. Fish lost equilibrium. Swimming up side down, laying on side, etc.... Tried guiding fish though water with latex gloves. Nothing helped. Tang died 2 hours later on 8-22-19. Tang showed no outward signs of disease besides rapid breathing. Copper issues? Bought second tang. Delivered on 8-24-19. This time copper set at 1.00ppm upon arrival. Qt Specific gravity matched to shipping water. Therapeutic copper level reached on 8-26-19 to 2.08ppm. Fish is eating well. Feeding Gc and focus soaked mysis with selcon since 8-25-19.
So day 5 of medicated food. Also eating selcon soaked seaweed on a veggie clip. I’m very leery of dipping this fish. I’ve dipped several and never lost one, until the last tang. New Tang is roughly 2 to 2.25 inches long. Same size as the last one. This one was purchased from a different vendor. Local fish stores are terrible here, so online purchasing is my only option. Slight paling underneath belly and mouth. I don’t want to jump to any unnecessary actions. Leave fish be? Hope it makes it through copper to day 14. Or pull at day 10 and transfer to sterile Qt. It’s already set up. I can take a video if it would help. Whatcha think? I know some fish just naturally breathe faster than others, but this seems a little excessive. I would consider it rapid breathing. I would guess 170 breaths a minute. Stresses me out. :confused:
4A5ADBDE-86B4-45B4-9013-90C18085A4D9.jpeg

F6CF56F9-4E8D-417D-90EE-53CBA472973D.jpeg

I’ve tried 3 different ways to post a short video with no luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks @4FordFamily
Temp 78
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate < 10ppm
Spg 1.018
Copper 2.08
20 gallon long
Aquaclear 50
MJ1200 pointed at surface for gas exchange.

First yellow tang bought on 8-9-19. Specific gravity matched to shipping parameters. Temp matched then released. Raised copper over three days to 2.0ppm per Hanna Checker. Fish eating normal throughout ramp up. Tang breathing fast on 8-22-19, but still eating well. Decided to do a 5 min FW dip to check for flukes. Tang handled dip fine. Put back in tank. Fish lost equilibrium. Swimming up side down, laying on side, etc.... Tried guiding fish though water with latex gloves. Nothing helped. Tang died 2 hours later on 8-22-19. Tang showed no outward signs of disease besides rapid breathing. Copper issues? Bought second tang. Delivered on 8-24-19. This time copper set at 1.00ppm upon arrival. Qt Specific gravity matched to shipping water. Therapeutic copper level reached on 8-26-19 to 2.08ppm. Fish is eating well. Feeding Gc and focus soaked mysis with selcon since 8-25-19.
So day 5 of medicated food. Also eating selcon soaked seaweed on a veggie clip. I’m very leery of dipping this fish. I’ve dipped several and never lost one, until the last tang. New Tang is roughly 2 to 2.25 inches long. Same size as the last one. This one was purchased from a different vendor. Local fish stores are terrible here, so online purchasing is my only option. Slight paling underneath belly and mouth. I don’t want to jump to any unnecessary actions. Leave fish be? Hope it makes it through copper to day 14. Or pull at day 10 and transfer to sterile Qt. It’s already set up. I can take a video if it would help. Whatcha think? I know some fish just naturally breathe faster than others, but this seems a little excessive. I would consider it rapid breathing. I would guess 170 breaths a minute. Stresses me out. :confused:
4A5ADBDE-86B4-45B4-9013-90C18085A4D9.jpeg

F6CF56F9-4E8D-417D-90EE-53CBA472973D.jpeg

I’ve tried 3 different ways to post a short video with no luck.
I have never actually lost a fish after a FW dip, so I'd guess it had something going on internally that couldn't be seen from the outside since it had labored breathing. Just a hunch. I'd also like to think that a FW dip couldn't kill a fish and the fish was already on the way out since it died shortly after.

I wouldn't mind seeing a video of the breathing. Can you upload the video to YouTube and post a link?

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never actually lost a fish after a FW dip, so I'd guess it had something going on internally that couldn't be seen from the outside since it had labored breathing. Just a hunch. I'd also like to think that a FW dip couldn't kill a fish and the fish was already on the way out since it died shortly after.

I wouldn't mind seeing a video of the breathing. Can you upload the video to YouTube and post a link?

I have a suspicion that internal parasites might sometimes cause labored breathing. I don't have nearly enough experience to know this, but I've had a fish w/o flukes, ich, Velvet or brook have labored breathing and stringy white poo.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe this way will work on the video.
Good call on the YouTube route.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a suspicion that internal parasites might sometimes cause labored breathing. I don't have nearly enough experience to know this, but I've had a fish w/o flukes, ich, Velvet or brook have labored breathing and stringy white poo.
It most definitely can you are right. Especially if the flagellates that are in the intestinal tract "run from the medicine" by burrowing deeper into the fish or towards the gills, which they can and will do when feeding medicated foods.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It most definitely can you are right. Especially if the flagellates that are in the intestinal tract "run from the medicine" by burrowing deeper into the fish or towards the gills, which they can and will do when feeding medicated foods.
Well, that being said, just continue feeding what I’m feeding and hope for the best? Any other course of action I might need to take? Could it be the stress of copper? I know you’ve quarantined 100’s of fish. Is this a common reaction in Zebrasoma Tangs? I realize they can be high strung, but dang, this seems a little much in my experience. Sure would hate to lose this guy.
Idk man. I did purchase some spectrogram in case anything bacterial pops up. Per your suggestion on the first page of the thread. I’d rather not combine meds if at all possible. First fish came from bluezoo. Never used them before. This guy came from LA/Quality marine. I’ve ordered from them a lot over the years and have pretty good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's copper. I have QTd so many tangs and his breathing may be a bit fast but it's not all that concerning to me. Kill the lights, give him some rest and a little more time to acclimate to the QT.

Also, I don't know if this is a wild caught or a aquacultured fish but he is the lone fish in QT which can cause them to stress a bit and hide a little more.

A fish that came off the reef is used to thousands of fish being around so when there are no other fish around it tells them a predator is near.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that being said, just continue feeding what I’m feeding and hope for the best? Any other course of action I might need to take? Could it be the stress of copper? I know you’ve quarantined 100’s of fish. Is this a common reaction in Zebrasoma Tangs? I realize they can be high strung, but dang, this seems a little much in my experience. Sure would hate to lose this guy.
Idk man. I did purchase some spectrogram in case anything bacterial pops up. Per your suggestion on the first page of the thread. I’d rather not combine meds if at all possible. First fish came from bluezoo. Never used them before. This guy came from LA/Quality marine. I’ve ordered from them a lot over the years and have pretty good luck.
Also no need to add the Spectrogram unless you see signs of a bacterial infection.

Also if there was ich or velvet present in the gills when you received the fish and the parasites caused some gill damage, the faster breathing could be required as the fish heals from the affliction. Just another possibility.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's copper. I have QTd so many tangs and his breathing may be a bit fast but it's not all that concerning to me. Kill the lights, give him some rest and a little more time to acclimate to the QT.

Also, I don't know if this is a wild caught or a aquacultured fish but he is the lone fish in QT which can cause them to stress a bit and hide a little more.

A fish that came off the reef is used to thousands of fish being around so when there are no other fish around it tells them a predator is near.
That makes sense. There is a Royal Gramma in there with him. I’m not sure if you could see him in the video. LA had it labeled as from “Hawaii” , but who knows really. Almost went Biota. I’ll keep the lights off for a few days and continue feeding what I’m feeding. It took him 3 days to discover the veggie clip. Going from the reef to a sterile box is a BIG change for sure. That is if he did in fact come from the islands.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also no need to add the Spectrogram unless you see signs of a bacterial infection.

Also if there was ich or velvet present in the gills when you received the fish and the parasites caused some damage, the faster breathing could be required as the fish heals from the affliction. Just another possibility.
Yeah, I just bought the spectrogram as a precautionary med. I definitely won’t use that unless I see signs of anything bacterial. I’m hopping with the short duration in copper that won’t be an issue. Appreciate the advice.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also if there was ich or velvet present in the gills when you received the fish and the parasites caused some gill damage, the faster breathing could be required as the fish heals from the affliction. Just another possibility.
You will probably want to use the light for feeding response. Sometimes with new fish I will on have the lights on for an HR in the am and an HR in the PM for feeding and inspection.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I just bought the spectrogram as a precautionary med. I definitely won’t use that unless I see signs of anything bacterial. I’m hopping with the short duration in copper that won’t be an issue. Appreciate the advice.
Sure, it's great to have on the shelf for sure! :). Nothing worse than needing a med and not having it.

Glad to help!

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I have a clownish with no other symptoms besides white stringy poop and fast breathing. The best part is, he has GC AND Fenbendazole resistant internal parasites.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back