My Current QT Process

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things I notice - I think your heater needs to be much more submerged than it is (maybe it’s the angle of the photo) but that looks like a fire hazard to me

Two - not tons of surface agitation, maybe with increasing copper you need to add a powerheard pointing to the surface or an airstone connected to an aurpump

I’d test to see what your copper level is to make sure you didn’t overdose by accident

Adding more water or a water change to decrease the copper level may help the wrasse, which looks sort of weak in a way that may indicate a bad reaction to the copper or not enough dissolved oxygen
The heater is fully submerged! ANGLES ARE CRAZY haha

I have an air pump just not an air stone that is clean. Current air stone was used in a fermaldyhe bath.

Maybe a powerhead? How would I clean powerhead afterwards to use in my DT?

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15668665058034876806139413687807.jpg

Not an air stone but will it help?

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just thought of something - isn't copper unsafe in hypo? @HotRocks @ngoodermuth @4FordFamily

I think it is and if so you'll want to do a 100% water change with matching salinity and wait until after to add copper
The bag comes at 1.019 salinity and I have copper at 1.0ppm I can't just raise to 1.025 overnight !

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just thought of something - isn't copper unsafe in hypo? @HotRocks @ngoodermuth @4FordFamily

I think it is and if so you'll want to do a 100% water change with matching salinity and wait until after to add copper
Yes it’s not advisable to do both. 1.019 and copper is fine though. Slowly raise and it should be fine :)

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Copper is safe in the 1.018-1.026 range no problem. I wouldn't advise running copper down in the actual hypo range of 1.009, it's just too hard on the fish.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my wrasse overnight. He just didn't have good color the last couple days. I knew he was gonna pass as unfortunately didn't know what was wrong tbh at this point I blame the copper. At this point I'd imagine I'm somewhere above 1.75ppm copper so I'm gonna forgo my last dosages.

IMG_20190827_061221.jpg

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my wrasse overnight. He just didn't have good color the last couple days. I knew he was gonna pass as unfortunately didn't know what was wrong tbh at this point I blame the copper. At this point I'd imagine I'm somewhere above 1.75ppm copper so I'm gonna forgo my last dosages.

IMG_20190827_061221.jpg
I highly doubt copper is to blame. Likely something internal that copper may have exacerbated by inhibiting immune system. Wrasse are notorious for internal parasites. Some of which are really hard to erradicate.

Sorry for the loss :(

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly doubt copper is to blame. Likely something internal that copper may have exacerbated by inhibiting immune system. Wrasse are notorious for internal parasites. Some of which are really hard to erradicate.

I was feeding general cure and focus :(

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I currently have a clown that has fenbendazole AND prazi resistant internal parasites.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't but wonder if he'd have died if I just acclimated him to my DT instead. I feel like I'm killing them.

My brother has a Fish only tank and has ~ 12 fish in there and just added a new one from the same order as me... He's never had a mass outbreak and a massive loss. He's never QT anything. He has the occasional fish loss. He makes fun of me with how many fish I lose. I can however keep coral - he's forced to a fish only tank because he keeps killing coral.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't but wonder if he'd have died if I just acclimated him to my DT instead. I feel like I'm killing them.

My brother has a Fish only tank and has ~ 12 fish in there and just added a new one from the same order as me... He's never had a mass outbreak and a massive loss. He's never QT anything. He has the occasional fish loss. He makes fun of me with how many fish I lose. I can however keep coral - he's forced to a fish only tank because he keeps killing coral.
There are people who can get away without QT. It's a matter of time before it becomes an issue IMO, especially without the use of certain management techniques and equipment etc. It might be months it might be years... Just not a risk I am willing to take. Also the type of fish you desire to keep may also play an important role as some fish are much more succeptable to an affliction than others due to thickness of mucus layer etc.

@PaulB doesn't QT any of his fish, his reef is older than me, and he has some really COOL stuff in his tank including decorations like pliers and stuff ;)

If you feel like you are losing too many fish in QT maybe try something different. My method certainly isn't the only way by any means. It's what works for me, I can tell you early on I had way more losses than I was comfortable with. That's not the case now as out of the last 50 fish I treated I lost 3, all of which were within the first 24hrs after arrival so I would attribute it to shipping.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are people who can get away without QT. It's a matter of time before it becomes an issue IMO, especially without the use of certain management techniques and equipment etc. It might be months it might be years... Just not a risk I am willing to take. Also the type of fish you desire to keep may also play an important role as some fish are much more succeptable to an affliction than others due to thickness of mucus layer etc.

@PaulB doesn't QT any of his fish, his reef is older than me, and he has some really COOL stuff in his tank including decorations like pliers and stuff ;)

If you feel like you are losing too many fish in QT maybe try something different. My method certainly isn't the only way by any means. It's what works for me, I can tell you early on I had way more losses than I was comfortable with. That's not the case now as out of the last 50 fish I treated I lost 3, all of which were within the first 24hrs after arrival so I would attribute it to shipping.
I just don't wanna be seen on this forum as a fish killer or anywhere. I have stopped telling my friends at work another fish died because I feel judged. If I can successfully get these other two fish through I'd be thrilled.

After that wrassed died - anything I should be doing ? 100% water change ? Something ? Could there be a water quality that I'm not aware of ?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't wanna be seen on this forum as a fish killer or anywhere. I have stopped telling my friends at work another fish died because I feel judged. If I can successfully get these other two fish through I'd be thrilled.

After that wrassed died - anything I should be doing ? 100% water change ? Something ? Could there be a water quality that I'm not aware of ?
I don't think anyone is going to judge you. You are trying, that's all that matters.

I just like to help people to the best of my ability.

That's what R2R is all about.

I'm sorry I don't remember but were these fish from LA? Maybe try a different source on your next order. Change it up a bit.

Just like other tank issues, algae problems etc. You can't always solve someone else's tank issues but you can let them know what works for you.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone is going to judge you. You are trying, that's all that matters.

I just like to help people to the best of my ability.

That's what R2R is all about.

I'm sorry I don't remember but were these fish from LA? Maybe try a different source on your next order. Change it up a bit.

Just like other tank issues, algae problems etc. You can't always solve someone else's tank issues but you can let them know what works for you.
Yeah I may try another source - or even a local place

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20190827_061221.jpg
Sorry for your loss:( Try not to get discouraged. At least you’re trying your best. Sometimes fish just don’t make it, despite our best efforts. I’ve certainly lost a few in quarantine.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back