HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks
Tang has been at therapeutic levels for 13 days.
At 2.08 to 2.12ppm. He still scratches here and there. Possibly scratching from copper or possible flukes? After transfer I’ll do 2 rounds GC on day 1 and day 5-7 after transfer. Any reason not to transfer this fish today? Or wait until tomorrow? Both life cycles of ich and velvet have had there chance to do their thing. Hotrocks, good call on the rapid breathing. Seems to be no worse than it was. I’ve just waited it out. To transfer or not to transfer. That is the question.
I would go ahead and transfer the fish. As you mentioned it could be a side effect of copper or flukes if you are going to treat with prazi or GC anyway I would just transfer the fish and start the next treatment.

Omgitsjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got some fish in today from live aquaira, Ive followed your QT process in the past with great success. These new fish seem to be struggling or have some sort of infection. They are currently in the copper treatment (Not quite ramped up to 2.0ppm yet) and are being feed GC soaked food. While the fish are in their copper treatment, how exactly do you dose the Kanaplex+furan-2? Straight to the water column? what amount?

Last edited:

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got some fish in today from live aquaira, Ive followed your QT process in the past with great success. These new fish seem to be struggling or have some sort of infection. They are currently in the copper treatment (Not quite ramped up to 2.0ppm yet) and are being feed GC soaked food. While the fish are in their copper treatment, how exactly do you dose the Kanaplex+furan-2? Straight to the water column? what amount?
Struggling like how? What behavioral or physical symptoms are they having? Bacterial symptoms?
You mention Kanaplex+furan-2. Are they eating well? I just ordered some from Live Aquaria. Follow the dosing instructions on the labels. Kanaplex + Furan-2 you want to dose at the same time. You would keep going with the dosing regimen until at least 10 days have elapsed.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@HotRocks

Im currently ramping up copper power in my qt. My hanna checker read 1.83 ppm tonight. Would you still consider that therapeutic given your recent experiences? Im aiming for 2.0-2.25 ppm. But what is the minimum level that restarts the clock? Basically should i wait till im over 2.0 ppm to start my 30 days? and if at any point i fall below 2.0 ppm it starts the clock over?

Thanks!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks

Im currently ramping up copper power in my qt. My hanna checker read 1.83 ppm tonight. Would you still consider that therapeutic given your recent experiences? Im aiming for 2.0-2.25 ppm. But what is the minimum level that restarts the clock? Basically should i wait till im over 2.0 ppm to start my 30 days? and if at any point i fall below 2.0 ppm it starts the clock over?

Thanks!
1.75ppm is the minimum I would use for the clock. So you should be safe to start the clock now since you are still increasing.

mygsris2slo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This process should work fine for you.

Recently I have done things a bit different. Acclimating fish directly into 1.5ppm copper power and ramping the rest of the way to 1.75ppm the next day (further reducing the overall time they spend in copper). I just want to repeat this with as many batches/fish as possible before updating my thread to be sure people have good info that works.

Also been dosing metro (for 10 days) with the copper in order to cover Brook and Uronema prophylactically.

Also have been using GC with copper if flukes are present instead of post copper. (I just swap it out with two of the metro doses) Day 3 and day 9, or Day 1 and day 7.

@HotRocks any issues putting wrasses or CBB directly into 1.5ppm Cu? I prefer to expose for as short a period as I can. I have a fairy, flasher and CBB inbound on Tuesday.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks any issues putting wrasses or CBB directly into 1.5ppm Cu? I prefer to expose for as short a period as I can. I have a fairy, flasher and CBB inbound on Tuesday.
I have yet to have an issue with a wrasse related to copper. Some Anthias will not eat if acclimated directly into copper above 1.0ppm but that is the only fish that I have noticed anything with.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, rapping up Qt. 14 days copper. Transferred to sterile quarantine. Dosed GC after transfer on day 1 of transfer. Actually waited 2 days to dose. Dosed again today. This is day 5. How long does it take to kill eggs if present? Fish look great. Been raising specific gravity by .001 a day to match DT also. I’ll do a good rinse before the transfer to DT. What’s s funny is, I’ve been adding corals for the last year without quarantining them. I was quarantining all corals in the beginning, but grew tired of having the Qt set up permanently. So who knows. All my Qt efforts could be a waste. My first fish added came from Sustainable Aquatics. They were not Quarantined. Of course the hatchery there has no contact with wild caught fish. I emailed them to ask. It was a lengthy email stating my concerns. That being said, I could have ich in my DT. Who knows. All the fish I have are pretty resilient so wouldn’t show signs of a disease like ich. And all fish I’ve received since them have been prophylactically treated. Guess I’ll find out once this tang gets introduced. Or run a mollie test. @HotRocks

Last edited:

mygsris2slo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, rapping up Qt. 14 days copper. Transferred to sterile quarantine. Dosed GC after transfer on day 1 of transfer. Dosed again today. This is day 5. How long does it take to kill eggs if present? Fish look great. @HotRocks

24-48 hours should be enough. You're not killing eggs. You're killing flukes that were eggs during the first dose. It's my understanding that the prazi causes the flukes to spasm and release from the fish if they're present and it supposedly happens pretty quickly once dosed.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, rapping up Qt. 14 days copper. Transferred to sterile quarantine. Dosed GC after transfer on day 1 of transfer. Actually waited 2 days to dose. Dosed again today. This is day 5. How long does it take to kill eggs if present? Fish look great. Been raising specific gravity by .001 a day to match DT also. I’ll do a good rinse before the transfer to DT. What’s s funny is, I’ve been adding corals for the last year without quarantining them. I was quarantining all corals in the beginning, but grew tired of having the Qt set up permanently. So who knows. All my Qt efforts could be a waste. My first fish added came from Sustainable Aquatics. They were not Quarantined. Of course the hatchery there has no contact with wild caught fish. I emailed them to ask. It was a lengthy email stating my concerns. That being said, I could have ich in my DT. Who knows. All the fish I have are pretty resilient so wouldn’t show signs of a disease like ich. And all fish I’ve received since them have been prophylactically treated. Guess I’ll find out once this tang gets introduced. Or run a mollie test. @HotRocks
I personally believe the kill happens within the first 5 minutes to an hr. I would run full strength for 24 hours to be safe. After that the meds break down and degrade anyway.

Sounds like you are on the right track! I have always QTd all corals but I have cheated with SPS and only gone 6 weeks fallow due to the difficulty of maintaining them in a fishless system :)

It’s just like anything it all boils down to your tolerance for risk. I keep acanthurus tangs in both of my tanks so if something made its way in it would be a nightmare ;)

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally believe the kill happens within the first 5 minutes to an hr. I would run full strength for 24 hours to be safe. After that the meds break down and degrade anyway.

Sounds like you are on the right track! I have always QTd all corals but I have cheated with SPS and only gone 6 weeks fallow due to the difficulty of maintaining them in a fishless system :)

It’s just like anything it all boils down to your tolerance for risk. I keep acanthurus tangs in both of my tanks so if something made its way in it would be a nightmare ;)
Thanks.

Last edited:

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1.75ppm is the minimum I would use for the clock. So you should be safe to start the clock now since you are still increasing.

My DT is in its first week of fallow. I do weekly water changes on it and plan to continue to do that. Can i use the old water from DT pre dosed with copper power to 2.0 - 2.25 ppm for QT water changes or is that a bad idea? Should i mix up fresh salt water for QT water changes? Thanks!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DT is in its first week of fallow. I do weekly water changes on it and plan to continue to do that. Can i use the old water from DT pre dosed with copper power to 2.0 - 2.25 ppm for QT water changes or is that a bad idea? Should i mix up fresh salt water for QT water changes? Thanks!
I would mix up fresh water to be safe and trash the DT water when you do WCs. In theory it is safe but just risky as far as cross contamination.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would mix up fresh water to be safe and trash the DT water when you do WCs. In theory it is safe but just risky as far as cross contamination.

Thanks. One last thing. I didnt know exactly how much water is in my QT but i knew within 10% or so. If i assume no absorption, which i dont think i have any, does this math make sense?

ppm copper in water (using hanna checker) / mL of copper power dosed = ppm/mL of copper power

Then use that ratio to determine how much copper to dose based on how much of an increase in ppm i need.

For example, something like this:

1.9 ppm / 12 mL = 0.158 ppm/mL

2.25 ppm - 1.9 ppm = 0.35 ppm

0.35 ppm / 0.158 ppm/mL = 2.21 mL of copper power to dose

My thinking is correct, right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. One last thing. I didnt know exactly how much water is in my QT but i knew within 10% or so. If i assume no absorption, which i dont think i have any, does this math make sense?

ppm copper in water (using hanna checker) / mL of copper power dosed = ppm/mL of copper power

Then use that ratio to determine how much copper to dose based on how much of an increase in ppm i need.

For example, something like this:

1.9 ppm / 12 mL = 0.158 ppm/mL

2.25 ppm - 1.9 ppm = 0.35 ppm

0.35 ppm / 0.158 ppm/mL = 2.21 mL of copper power to dose

My thinking is correct, right?
I cant exactly make sense of what you are doing there.

Here is how I figure my copper:

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I cant exactly make sense of what you are doing there.

Here is how I figure my copper:

So if my 12mL of copper power raised my water to 1.9 ppm based off hanna. Then couldnt i just divide 1.9 by 12 and get the ratio of ppm per mL of copper power? Then use that ratio in determining correct dosages....

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if my 12mL of copper power raised my water to 1.9 ppm based off hanna. Then couldnt i just divide 1.9 by 12 and get the ratio of ppm per mL of copper power? Then use that ratio in determining correct dosages....
How many gallons are you dosing?

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does this make more sense?
FED84CF7-7D66-417B-953B-959F1952276C.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back