My Custom built Starfire tank has staining

carlosec83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an issue with my tank. I bought the tank last year, started to fill er up in August once we received all plumbing and equipment. Added lights in November. It's a Custom built 3/4" thick starfire glass by Crystal Dynamics Aquariums here in San diego. 60 x 32 x 24H.

The problem had been seen about a month or so ago. Didn't pay much attention to it since I thought it was on outside and maybe just needed better cleaning. But the issue is on the inside of the aquarium glass.

I've tried using cleaning pads, razor blade, and all with lots of pressure applied. Nothing helps it and my tank seems like cloudy from 2 sides and very clear from one side which isn't that bad.

I approached the manufacturer with the issue, but they said it might be stray voltage that caused the issue. I checked my tank and all equipment seems to be fine as no sign of tingle when I'm barefoot and I also have a grounding probe since day 1. All equipment was bought new. 2 ecotech m2 pumps inside skimmer, 2 heaters, nyos skimmer, 4x mp40's, and nothing else is inside tank.

I emailed them and still waiting for a written response. I was thinking of getting another tank manufacturers opinion here from San diego once I hear a response. Has anyone else ran into this issue?

OP
OP
C

carlosec83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220501_210849.jpg

First image is side with most evident stains, you can see how hazy/cloudy it is looking straight(at first I could only tell by looking through the side pane).
20220501_210858.jpg

2nd image is looking through the short end where it's easy to tell where the panel is showing that cloudiness.
20220501_210928.jpg

3rd image is the short side end view where you can see how looking straight almost seems as if tank has dirty cloudy water. But it's the actual glass. You can also see both panes, right side isn't as bad as left side.

20220501_210919.jpg

4th image is the end panel viewed from the long side. You can see the cloudy /haze on the actual glass.

20220501_210939.jpg

5th image is the panel with very almost no haze on it. You can see how clear the water actually is.

This is the issue altogether. Only having 1 pane that actually looks decent and clean. Before I could see through my tank and the corals and fish seemed to be "floating through air" when I would clean the glass. That's not the case as of late.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220501_210849.jpg

First image is side with most evident stains, you can see how hazy/cloudy it is looking straight(at first I could only tell by looking through the side pane).
20220501_210858.jpg

2nd image is looking through the short end where it's easy to tell where the panel is showing that cloudiness.
20220501_210928.jpg

3rd image is the short side end view where you can see how looking straight almost seems as if tank has dirty cloudy water. But it's the actual glass. You can also see both panes, right side isn't as bad as left side.

20220501_210919.jpg

4th image is the end panel viewed from the long side. You can see the cloudy /haze on the actual glass.

20220501_210939.jpg

5th image is the panel with very almost no haze on it. You can see how clear the water actually is.

This is the issue altogether. Only having 1 pane that actually looks decent and clean. Before I could see through my tank and the corals and fish seemed to be "floating through air" when I would clean the glass. That's not the case as of late.
So you're saying the haziness is a recent development? If that's the case, I'm at a loss. Maybe UV damage from your lights?

OP
OP
C

carlosec83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're saying the haziness is a recent development? If that's the case, I'm at a loss. Maybe UV damage from your lights?
Yes. Recently as of 1 or 2 month ago. It being a starfire glass and many running led and UV I would think it would be a more common issue and a type of glass we would suggest not to use. However, I hadn't thought of this.

I'm thinking maybe I wasn't sold starfire or maybe my water being hard, but I can't really feel it when I'm using the razor blade or when I scrub there's no like build up.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Recently as of 1 or 2 month ago. It being a starfire glass and many running led and UV I would think it would be a more common issue and a type of glass we would suggest not to use. However, I hadn't thought of this.

I'm thinking maybe I wasn't sold starfire or maybe my water being hard, but I can't really feel it when I'm using the razor blade or when I scrub there's no like build up.
Don't quote me on this, but I believe glass can be treated to prevent UV damage. I could be thinking of something else.

I seriously doubt it's a water hardness issue, if it was you could try cleaning the outside with any type of acid (like white vinegar) and it would come off instantly.

OP
OP
C

carlosec83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. The outside I cleaned thinking it might be the outside panel with vinegar. But it didn't do anything. As I think it's definitely on the inside part of aquarium.
Thank you.

OP
OP
C

carlosec83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Builder got back to me. They're coming over to see the issue and to make sure it's not a supplier issue. Important thing is that they said they're actually coming out. I hope it all gets handled since now it is very irritating to see my corals through a glass that always looks dirty.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They put the wrong side of the glass facing in. Tin side goes outside.

OP
OP
C

carlosec83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow. I hope they get this addressed If that's the case. My ICP test came back and showed some TIN on the readings. Couldn't figure out why. Now it makes sense. Thanks for the input.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask if they have a tin side detector that they can bring over.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carlosec83 - Did you ever get this resolved? Curious as I'm in the market for a custom tank and was looking at CDA. Hope they came through for you.

OP
OP
C

carlosec83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they came out and inspected. They are currently fabricating a new tank for me. They will bring it in by they will not do the transfer for me, only deliver and remove old tank and set new tank. Which I'm ok with, I'd rather be the one to take my time with it

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear. Glad they came through for you. I assume the glass was bad then? It's nice that you live close for them to come out and inspect. Not sure they will fly to NY if I had the same or similar issue. It sounds like they make a very good tank though.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they came out and inspected. They are currently fabricating a new tank for me. They will bring it in by they will not do the transfer for me, only deliver and remove old tank and set new tank. Which I'm ok with, I'd rather be the one to take my time with it
What was the reason for the cloudiness?

OP
OP
C

carlosec83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear. Glad they came through for you. I assume the glass was bad then? It's nice that you live close for them to come out and inspect. Not sure they will fly to NY if I had the same or similar issue. It sounds like they make a very good tank though.
They make excellent tanks. Really like the quality of mine.
What was the reason for the cloudiness?
They did say that it was very possible they installed tin side in. But he didn't have his tool to check, but within 1 minutes of looking in the tank and using my magnet cleaner he agreed it wasn't right. After a few emails back and forth, when he comes with new tank he will show that the tin side is on the outside this time.

Martingale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had only just learned of glass having a tin side from this thread, but after a quick googling it reads like major tank manufacturers might “wash” the tin side off with an acid to eliminate this problem?

It seems strange a tin side would be left on a built aquarium, if not necessary, as it reads like vinegar or glass cleaning solutions can slowly etch the tin-side panels even if they’re facing on the outside.

OP
OP
C

carlosec83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a few phone calls to other manufacturers and they also confirmed the TIN side issue, but they said they just make sure to place on the outside. That it's a simple inspection when cutting the panels and they label the TIN side.

Interesting thing about the vinegar cleaning it off, as a few manufacturers told me it does not come off with it unless you polish it off, essentially removing a very thin layer of glass, which would require to disassemble and then reassemble the tank, which was not cost effective for them. (THATS WHAT WAS EXPLAINED TO ME, JUST PASSING IT ON)

There's also a few threads on here where they attempted this but did not remove the Hazing. Maybe BEFORE you fill it with saltwater or before it starts to Haze.

Nino143

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an error in the formation of the glass, like impurities of some sort. I'm no expert, just an educated guess.
Its called etching, its when the tin side of glass faces in, aquarium manufactures need to make sure that the tin side faces out and the air side faces in!

Nino143

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an issue with my tank. I bought the tank last year, started to fill er up in August once we received all plumbing and equipment. Added lights in November. It's a Custom built 3/4" thick starfire glass by Crystal Dynamics Aquariums here in San diego. 60 x 32 x 24H.

The problem had been seen about a month or so ago. Didn't pay much attention to it since I thought it was on outside and maybe just needed better cleaning. But the issue is on the inside of the aquarium glass.

I've tried using cleaning pads, razor blade, and all with lots of pressure applied. Nothing helps it and my tank seems like cloudy from 2 sides and very clear from one side which isn't that bad.

I approached the manufacturer with the issue, but they said it might be stray voltage that caused the issue. I checked my tank and all equipment seems to be fine as no sign of tingle when I'm barefoot and I also have a grounding probe since day 1. All equipment was bought new. 2 ecotech m2 pumps inside skimmer, 2 heaters, nyos skimmer, 4x mp40's, and nothing else is inside tank.

I emailed them and still waiting for a written response. I was thinking of getting another tank manufacturers opinion here from San diego once I hear a response. Has anyone else ran into this issue?
Its called etching, its when the tin side of glass faces in, aquarium manufactures need to make sure that the tin side faces out and the air side faces in!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back