OP
OP
Darsh

Darsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to cut the tops off of the bottles slightly below the water line of the sump to allow the sump water to drift over the surface of your DSB bottles, or maybe use the entirety of that milk jug for your removable DSB. giving you a lot more surface area. Also you should make sure any holes in the sides of the bottles are not in the bottom half, as that will allow oxygen exchange down at the bottom, preventing anaerobic conditions.
Hmmm that's a good idea!
Cutting the bottles I mean. I want to keep the three separate containers so I can remove one and replace the sand each year. The idea being keeping 2/3 of the bacteria and never running into a dsb crash (even though these are probably too small to cause too many problems)
Yes the holes are all just below the waterline.

OP
OP
Darsh

Darsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realised I never put anything about my lights. They are of course DIY.
I found this idea on another reef forum and while I don't think there are any proven long term results, short term effects seemed quite good.
I doubt that this tank will ever see any Acropora so I think they'll do me just fine.
I didn't take any pictures of assembly but they are basically 3 or 4 bulbed GU10 led spotlights wired in parallel. Pretty simple :)
20191124_174658.jpg
20191124_174648.jpg

OP
OP
Darsh

Darsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20191208_150628.jpg

This needs to be tidied and I need to use something else other than double sided tape!
That's my WiFi power strip on the left and my sonoff temperature controller on the right.
Both are controlled by separate apps unfortunately but it's the cheapest way to have some control over the equipment :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Darsh

Darsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting parameters for the Hanna giveaway :)

Aquaforest
Mag: 1380
Alk: 9.8dKH
Cal: 455

Salifert
Nitrates: ≤ 7ppm

OP
OP
Darsh

Darsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem with Aiptasia the last couple of months and tried to keep it at bay by using kalk. 2 days ago I picked up an Aiptasia eating filefish from a local reefer who said it had eaten all his Aiptasia and then he placed it in his sump.
So I knew that this fish liked Aiptasia.
Today I can see only 3 tiny Aiptasia!!! I didn't see the fish eat any because he's extremely shy but the little guy has eaten well over 100 Aiptasia in 2 days!! Amazing!! I hope he doesn't touch any corals now...

tjclapp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a quick back story… I’ve been out of the saltwater hobby and actually completely tankless for about 6 years. I sold my tanks when I left my home country of Ireland to live in Poland. The itch starting to come back and I finally decided I NEED A TANK!!

After spending a lot of money in the past on fish related stuff and the fact that I’m now living in a “poor country” going all out and buying the highest quality or most expensive gear were not options and I felt I had no interest in doing so either.

I started thinking about how to do it “on the cheap” and realised that it was much much more interesting to source parts and make as much as possible myself.

I expect some detractors here and I welcome them because before I put any life in here I want others opinions on what I should/shouldn’t do. I realise I’m not doing the ideal thing but I’m confident that everything will work out. However, if someone sees an important hole in my plan I really would like to hear from them.

The target was basically this:

I wanted it to be cheap, I wanted it to be safe, I wanted it to be fun and the missus wanted it to match the furniture.

Of course I wanted a big tank but I felt that because we will more than likely move in the future I wanted to start off small so I could do everything by myself, lifting the tank etc. It wouldn’t be too intimidating for my other half and maybe she would fall in love with it and want a bigger one when we move to our forever home in the next few years haha.

I decided on a small 100L tank, or 25G.

I bought a strange corner tank and had a nice idea to turn it around and make a half hex out of it but that idea was revoked and I had to remove it from my home and it now resides in the basement. Here it is along with my vision...
20180923_153429.jpg

20190315_214203.jpg

I was asked politely to "get a normal one"...

I bought the next aquarium second hand for basically nothing, ordered some chinese diamond hole saws and drilled 2 holes in the back. This was the first time I had drilled an aquarium and for anyone out there wondering about cheap hole saws I can really recommend them! I bought 2 in case the quality was so bad that I needed a second to drill the second hole but 1 did both holes no problem. They cost $6 including shipping haha! Then I painted the back with oil based gloss paint only because I needed it for the interior overflow and I’m trying to cut costs.

20190213_123757.jpg

20181204_165700.jpg

I don’t want to bore you with the stand building, but basically, I had never done this before.
I recycled our old IKEA bed plus some extra bits for the stand. Then I recycled my son’s old IKEA cot for the canopy and painted it all in waterproof paint made for bathrooms that I had already, unopened for another project that in the end wasn’t needed.

20181130_113352.jpg

20181228_223018.jpg

We bought our apartment almost 2 years ago to the day. It’s an old tenement house which was built in 1902 in very bad condition and we’ve been living here and renovating the whole time. The renovation is 90% finished and I had some leftovers so managed to make a “skin” to match the kitchen furniture.
20190217_190036.jpg

So far so good :)

I think you are underestimating how good it looks! Beautiful tank and I really respect a DIY build

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back