My experience w flatworm exit

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this is an ongoing process and what I have done so far. Purely Information for others. Maybe help for me.

I started a new 240g roughly 300 total volume and easy math. This was January.
I put some corals in March and dipped In fresh water since I saw flatworms on them. I’m pretty rash and it was a bit late. I dip instead of quarantine but this was an oversight.

Believe it or not I had flatworms in April. I’ve never had flatworms. I have seen them take over though. So I wasn’t sure how many there were but i was playing it safe based on the horror stories of the toxins. But I’m reality I had very few where you could only see them
On certain areas of the glass

I did some reading and bought a thing of flatworm exit and carbon. I have a high flow rate media reactor that runs like 300gph if I wanted through it (I think that’s a lot). I did my research and put in my single bottle of FE (300g). Waited about 5 min (watching the little guys squirm) and turned the carbon on.

some died. But there was a good bit the next day. I did some Research on their life cycle. 28 days till maturity and egg laying. Lifespan about the same. 4-6 weeks.

So the FE did work as it was reduced. So I bought 4 more bottles as I had read people do multiple treatments.

two weeks later I run the similar setup. New carbon ready to go at the flip of a switch. I put in two full bottles (online you can use 10x and never saw any negative effects to coral etc). I waited about 20min and turned the carbon on for a couple days.

Next days there were still some Flatworms but very very few.

so I waited another two weeks. For eggs to hatch etc. and did another bottle. This time I turned the carbon off. And didn’t put it on. Just let the bottle do it’s thing figuring the toxins would be so minimal.

a few days later I caught a glimpse of a freaking flatworm. So I’m like. I guess there was some eggs etc.

So today I added another full bottle. Carbon off. And I will see what happens.
dosing currently.
Day 0 - 1 bottle FE - 5min then carbon
Day 14 - 2 bottles 20 min then carbon
Day 28- 1 bottle no carbon
Day 40 - 1 bottle no carbon

does anyone have similar experience or advice for these guys.
My friend, who is the most meticulous person ever and bleached everything in his tank before setting up and hasn’t added anything to it that wasnt quarantined. Just started seeing some. The only thing we did in common was caribe sea special grade live sand… but I can’t imagine that’s it.

31B72716-8F07-4F24-B935-4CE99A6D9D3E.jpeg

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i got mine from reef bugs in a little box that is what I was feeding my corals and boom every where . Got 6 pounds of charcoal . Added fe for the time put a pound of charcoal in anb cracked up the skimmer. Saltcreep got in my skimmers air way . And boom nuked my tank my two clowns only survivers.

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this is an ongoing process and what I have done so far. Purely Information for others. Maybe help for me.

I started a new 240g roughly 300 total volume and easy math. This was January.
I put some corals in March and dipped In fresh water since I saw flatworms on them. I’m pretty rash and it was a bit late. I dip instead of quarantine but this was an oversight.

Believe it or not I had flatworms in April. I’ve never had flatworms. I have seen them take over though. So I wasn’t sure how many there were but i was playing it safe based on the horror stories of the toxins. But I’m reality I had very few where you could only see them
On certain areas of the glass

I did some reading and bought a thing of flatworm exit and carbon. I have a high flow rate media reactor that runs like 300gph if I wanted through it (I think that’s a lot). I did my research and put in my single bottle of FE (300g). Waited about 5 min (watching the little guys squirm) and turned the carbon on.

some died. But there was a good bit the next day. I did some Research on their life cycle. 28 days till maturity and egg laying. Lifespan about the same. 4-6 weeks.

So the FE did work as it was reduced. So I bought 4 more bottles as I had read people do multiple treatments.

two weeks later I run the similar setup. New carbon ready to go at the flip of a switch. I put in two full bottles (online you can use 10x and never saw any negative effects to coral etc). I waited about 20min and turned the carbon on for a couple days.

Next days there were still some Flatworms but very very few.

so I waited another two weeks. For eggs to hatch etc. and did another bottle. This time I turned the carbon off. And didn’t put it on. Just let the bottle do it’s thing figuring the toxins would be so minimal.

a few days later I caught a glimpse of a freaking flatworm. So I’m like. I guess there was some eggs etc.

So today I added another full bottle. Carbon off. And I will see what happens.
dosing currently.
Day 0 - 1 bottle FE - 5min then carbon
Day 14 - 2 bottles 20 min then carbon
Day 28- 1 bottle no carbon
Day 40 - 1 bottle no carbon

does anyone have similar experience or advice for these guys.
My friend, who is the most meticulous person ever and bleached everything in his tank before setting up and hasn’t added anything to it that wasnt quarantined. Just started seeing some. The only thing we did in common was caribe sea special grade live sand… but I can’t imagine that’s it.

31B72716-8F07-4F24-B935-4CE99A6D9D3E.jpeg
I'll be very interested to hear anything more you have to say about this as time goes on. I recently put a load of Ulva, Chaetomorpha, Caulerpa, Gammarus, and assorted copepods from two different sources into a QT and *BOOM* the next thing I know there are these same Amphiscolops flatworms that you have (not to mention hydroids, bristleworms, spagetti worms, limpets, and all manner of near microscopic pelagics that I can't make out - I only hope there aren't any real parasites in there, too). I hadn't even intended to put the macroalgae into the QT but there was so much more of it than I expected that I didn't know what else to do with it. I'd bought it to feed my tangs and foxface. I put just a little of the Ulva into a nori clip in the DT, and of course the fish wouldn't go near it. Nori, on the other hand, is candy. In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't put all the macros into the DT because I don't want to introduce hitchhikers that will be problematic to eradicate. I hope the damage hasn't already be done. After all, I did put that little bit in and the hitchhikers might have even come in with the amphipods or copepods instead. I put the bulk of those crustaceans into the DT as soon as they arrived. From what I have been able to read, the only concerns about Amphiscolops flatworms is that they eat copepods (mandarin competition, of which there is enough already) and that acoelomates *might* release toxins if killed. I'm in a holding pattern while trying to decide whether to nuke the QT with Flatworm Exit and Panacur. From your shared experiences it kind of sounds like I would have a hard time eradicating the undesirables even if I did. Keep us posted. Cheers, Peter

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Amphiscolops flatworms( I think?). I did many 4x recommend treatments and they still never All died. I ended getting a springer damsel- and he seems to eat them faster then I can find them lol.

flatworm exit worked to reduce numbers but never fully eradicated them. The damsel took a few months to catch up, but now I haven’t seen a flat work in months and months

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back