My experience with Acanthurus tangs

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Ford4Family made a similar thread, but I wanted to share my personal experience with keeping acanthurus tangs.

My tank is 250 gallons and I have an 80 watt UV sterilizer (rated for 600 gallons) running 24/7. My tank is 2.5 months old since rebooting it and the tangs are about 1-2 months in my tank.

Ive kept a blue tang, naso, vlamingii, purple, powder brown, lavender, clown, and Caribbean.

Ive been home these few months and I’ve been feeding very heavily frozen LRS multiple times a day with seaweed. All the tangs were eating. This past week I’ve made very very big changes to my lights. I switched my LED’s to T5’s and my one of my new T5 units arrived faulty so it’s been crazy between switching back and fourth from LED and T5 about 5 times in the same day.

2 days ago I lost a powder brown tang. He was half alive attached to a powder head. Last night I saw my clown tang laying on the sand bed. I did a fresh water bath and placed him back inside the tank and the clown tang was getting pushed all around the tank. This morning I couldn’t find the fish. Nassarius snails must of taken care of him overnight.

I still have 2 acanthurus tangs left. These are the lavender and Caribbean. They are medium to large.

Besides for those acanthurus tangs, all the other tangs are alive except for 3 baby yellow tangs I purchased which all died because they had a birth defects (common with Captive Bred).

I’m going to keep my tank as stress free starting now. I started slacking on my feedings too, so I’m going to pick them up, but so far I’m seeing a pattern with acanthurus tangs dying.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Video of clown tang last night.

I did not quarantine any tangs which was my mistake.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back