My First Attempt at the Big Time: WaterBox PP 230.6 Tank Build

Eder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So stoked. Got my email yesterday that our tank shipped!!! Been keeping up with your thread. Also picked up a 60.3 frag tank from a local sale here in mint condition so I’m planning on plumbing them together.

One leaks....well then let me get two tanks out of it!

Eder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have heard nothing about shipping yet. Hovering over the email every day.
A very long time ago my parents lived in Athens Ohio. My dad ran a drugstore there.

When did you place your order? Was it the 230.6?

We placed our order May 12 and we’re told we purchased the last one of that came in on the May 22nd shipment. Not sure how true that is but they’ve stayed on point with their timeline

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9d16355ce6c08386061bb0b2f9ebdb89.jpg
Been meaning to say I love this. I think you nailed the aquascape.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
tdlawdo

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks sharp, any ideas for a stocking list?

Yes still debating on the coral mix I’m going for. I like the flowing kind torches Duncan’s etc. but some of the more colorful lps and sps also.

Any suggestions?

Fish plan is next installment: may be dictated by tank parameters ..GHA etc.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes still debating on the coral mix I’m going for. I like the flowing kind torches Duncan’s etc. but some of the more colorful lps and sps also.

Any suggestions?

I was very excited about frogspawns, torches, GSP, duncans, hammers, etc........

Now I think I'm going to dominate my tank with monti's and chalices...... The color achieved and 'awe' factor of the encrusting/plating stuff is amazing to me.

EDIT: Just catching up...... Jackie O's is pretty amazing, and that's all I got.....

Last edited:

AiKkz

Hard work beats talent every time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any suggestions?

Fish plan is next installment: may be dictated by tank parameters ..GHA etc.

Zoa garden would be my suggestion. Deff one of my favorites!!

OP
OP
tdlawdo

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! And admit it..... you're just jealous of guys like me who can fit comfortably in a midsize sedan.....

Haha...I have a pickup and the other day I had to drive a friends sedan and getting in and out I remembered why I like my truck so much!!

OP
OP
tdlawdo

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read through what you’ve done so far and it looks like it’s going to be an amazing setup. I’m still trying to decide how to stock my 40 so I’m there with you just on a smaller scale :)

Its one of the hardest and a fun parts of the build. I think I have have my fish plan down. It’s the coral that give me fits. I have had two smaller tanks and did mostly FOWLR with a few coral slipped in so this time I want to make the coral be complimented by the fish.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the coral that give me fits
Why not try a couple of each and see which way you end up, Unique Corals uploads Sunday night, and divers den 6pm m-f ,
get there on the dot for the good ones. Extreme Corals and Corals.com gets some dandy's too. nice zoa colonies are rare these days so if you see something you like....Flex

OP
OP
tdlawdo

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not try a couple of each and see which way you end up, Unique Corals uploads Sunday night, and divers den 6pm m-f ,
get there on the dot for the good ones. Extreme Corals and Corals.com gets some dandy's too. nice zoa colonies are rare these days so if you see something you like....Flex

That’s a good idea I think I will go with that plan.

OP
OP
tdlawdo

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome
I am not hard to find. I live 2 miles off the interstate. The road is even paved.

I’ll be in WV this Sunday through next Thursday... glade springs for some white water rafting and other outdoor fun!

OP
OP
tdlawdo

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So at this point I started noticing the tank was not level once the water was in it and it also wobbled a bit when even the three year old grandsons ran by it sooooo... this was my solution...

3cd39cf9ca6a5045b034287c7f890714.jpg

2caed72c1b239255f52032c3ee8afb5b.jpg

The tank was along a load bearing wall on the actual foundation but it ran parallel with the floor hoist and so was basically not deep enough front to back to catch the second joist.

So I got some 6 x 6’s and brought them out from the wall perpendicular to the tank and used metal floor jacks in concrete blocks. It is now solid as a rock. As a warning...you can’t raise it too much as once I did about a half turn a week once it was snug so as not to crack anything else.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like a mix of coral. I would prefer to scape like a garden. Low in front. Maybe an island with some wavy torches. The sps I like in the back. Higher up. I find it easier to control the flow for them that way.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%

Back