My first DIY tank build

Phoebe-fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I imagine this will be more like a personal journal for me to reminisce and admire how my tank has developed but, especially if you’re not me, welcome to my tank build thread!

My ambition for this is to have a 3 tank system, DT, sump and refugium all plumbed together in perfect harmony. So far for this build I have adapted a second hand biorb (30L), constructed a bespoke stand, and plumbed it into a new 3 segment sump (30L). It’s been running for a few months now, cycled with live rock and sand, seeded with macro algae and home to snails, hermits, a crystal shrimp and sexy shrimp!

I was distracted for a while re-landscaping my garden (!) but I’m now turning my sights back to the 120L DT. I’m currently researching equipment to buy for this project and reviewing the basics of reefing to ensure I’m starting this project on strong foundations.

I hope you enjoy following my journey with this set up!

D4F7A7E3-7A36-43B1-B88E-AF4D6FCDC023.jpeg 437BD9BE-4C86-409E-923A-12928CA908BB.jpeg 16EED6F7-343D-4B6C-BBFF-1DD198CF998A.jpeg B2971374-A154-4DB2-A132-41E5C59C727F.jpeg 60571942-0109-4A04-8108-BAF625CE5A23.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hello, here for the ride;)very interested in your build ,following along:):cool:

OP
OP
Phoebe-fish

Phoebe-fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again,

Thank you for your interest my loyal followers :) I hope you enjoy the ride!

This is an update post/ outline post of the master plan. Below is a diagram of the plumbing and equipment I have settled on.

1594897292847.png

Beginning with the refugium that is already set up. I have a Kessil Grow Light H80 Tuna Flora over the top with a white strip LED for better human eye viewing. The flow is really simple but effective, with overflow from the standpipe gravity feeding back into the sump. Fortunately the biorb already had a hole in the bottom so it was just a matter of fitting a bulkhead, standpipe and tubing. Easy peasy! The stand I made is deigned to hide the tubing, so the output feeds through a hole in the 'table' and the panel at the back hides the return, as well as supporting the 'hood'. In the previous pictures however the pipe is on show as I have had issues with the pumps. Mainly them losing power over time, and not being able to generate the pressure 1m in the air - something I haven't experienced before! So it ugly for now until I buy a stronger pump, which will hopefully last longer.

For the display tank, I bought the Fuji 400GPH overflow box which has arrived from the States. I also bought a pair of polarised sunglasses to confirm that my glass isn't tempered! () Happily, it isn't but I am going to practice hole cutting on a spare backsplash glass panel that I rescued from the tip, before graduating to the actual tank. Looking on R2R people recommended using PlastiDip to 'paint' the back of tanks so I purchased a can of that too.
I have also bought a second hand Ecotech Radion XR30W G4. I saved a bit of money but was able to get a larger coverage (for if I upgrade tank size later) and I was very excited about the Mobius launch with the possibility of full spectrum control for FREEEE!
I also have my eye on a Tunze Turbelle nanostream wavemaker, but I have working AC powerheads I can put on timers for now, so I will either save up or ask Santa.

In the sump, I have accounted for 2 heaters on either side to keep the fuge and DT toasty. The centre chamber will house live rock rubble for extra surface area and possibly my old protein skimmer, but with the extra LR and fuge I'm not sure how necessary that will be... But it can be a backstop incase of a death or other calamity.

The only thing left to buy for this build are the pumps and piping. Depending on how well the hole drilling goes, I'm considering to drill through the other side for the return. If it doesn't go well, I'll just have a U-bend hook over pipe. For the return, I would like one pipe to come into the tank but then to split it into two multi directional heads, I'm going to ask my LFS if they have the components to do this.
I'm going to have a Herbie overflow system, but I'm wondering about having a gate valve on the main siphon pipe so I can control the flow. Is that a good idea or just adding unnecessary complexity? This is where my research is currently, and I'm sure R2R has a lot of advice on this.

Any feedback you guys have is very welcome!

EDIT Just found this http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/ - its very helpful!

Last edited:

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this Biorb build going?
im really interested because I am thinking of doing something similar linking on into the sump of my 60 cube and could use some suggestions based on your experience.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%

Back