My first Marine tank, 170L, 100cm x 40cm x 45cm.

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would share some pics of my setup.
Added the clowns two weeks ago, and the firefish yesterday.

I was thinking of doing one or two more fish in here...

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good, if you are going to be adding corals especially sps and lps i would think about pulling that xenia out of there before it spreads. at least pull that rock to the sand by itself but watch it as they will dis-attach and float to a new area of tank and start another colony

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great so far! +1 get the rocks with the xenia separated from the main rockwork. I would only have it on one rock, move it so its surrounded by sand and cant touch anything else, and then still be prepared to constantly keep it in check as clumps will show up everywhere. Its a weed and it will cover your tank.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was kinda hoping it would spread around to the other rocks haha. I know loads of people don't like it and consider it a weed, but I really love the look of it and would like it to grow and cover more area.
Maybe this is because I'm new to corals so I see the beauty in almost all of them haha.
Another question - is this Xenia or Anthelia?
How fast would it grow?

That being said, I have become quite taken by the look of euphyllia coral, I just don't think I have high enough lighting for it.
My lights are two, 90cm long blue and white LED. I each one is 12 Watts.
I have 4 mushroom corals in there too, but all of them have moved away and out the light into shaded areas... If that means anything ...

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15635109967635848602168461529491.jpg
IMG_20190719_083323.jpg

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you like it then, by all means, keep it and it will spread as in this hobby it really is custom and it is your tank so take what everyone says/replies as ideas and recommendations but do what you like. The only reason i added that comment is that I did the same thing and now that i am adding SPS, LPS and the tank is maturing i wish i knew what i know now so i was sharing those thoughts. take a look at my thread and you will see i had/have xenia in my tank but now i am desperatly trying to get rid of it but not because i dont like it as i think it is really cool but it started taking over my tank and that is not good and it pops up everywhere.... just my 2cents...;Meh;Wideyed

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was kinda hoping it would spread around to the other rocks haha. I know loads of people don't like it and consider it a weed, but I really love the look of it and would like it to grow and cover more area.
Maybe this is because I'm new to corals so I see the beauty in almost all of them haha.
Another question - is this Xenia or Anthelia?
How fast would it grow?

That being said, I have become quite taken by the look of euphyllia coral, I just don't think I have high enough lighting for it.
My lights are two, 90cm long blue and white LED. I each one is 12 Watts.
I have 4 mushroom corals in there too, but all of them have moved away and out the light into shaded areas... If that means anything ...
xenia and Anthelia are in the same family (Xeniidae) and reproduce the same. and yes you would like any of the euphyllia family as they also wave in the flow and I am not sure about lighting that you have as I dont know brand or spectrum and as the tank progresses i would assume you will upgrade lighting...

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you like it then, by all means, keep it and it will spread as in this hobby it really is custom and it is your tank so take what everyone says/replies as ideas and recommendations but do what you like. The only reason i added that comment is that I did the same thing and now that i am adding SPS, LPS and the tank is maturing i wish i knew what i know now so i was sharing those thoughts. take a look at my thread and you will see i had/have xenia in my tank but now i am desperatly trying to get rid of it but not because i dont like it as i think it is really cool but it started taking over my tank and that is not good and it pops up everywhere.... just my 2cents...;Meh;Wideyed
Thanks man .. I can just see this happening to me hahaha.. I'm loving my Xenia now, and thinking I will be perfectly happy forever with it, and then in 6 months Im like "hmmmm.... Should have listened to Scott" and trying to set up other corals...

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
xenia and Anthelia are in the same family (Xeniidae) and reproduce the same. and yes you would like any of the euphyllia family as they also wave in the flow and I am not sure about lighting that you have as I dont know brand or spectrum and as the tank progresses i would assume you will upgrade lighting...
Yeah those lights are just standard lights.. brand I don't know... They came with the tank (which I bought new), but I never used them until now. The tank used to be freshwater but I never used the hood or the lights. Had glass lids and external lights.
At some point maybe in a couple months I'll add more lighting. Just couldn't believe how expensive it was for proper ones..

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah those lights are just standard lights.. brand I don't know... They came with the tank (which I bought new), but I never used them until now. The tank used to be freshwater but I never used the hood or the lights. Had glass lids and external lights.
At some point maybe in a couple months I'll add more lighting. Just couldn't believe how expensive it was for proper ones..
they can be expensive but depending on what you are going to have in your tank the price varies. the largest cost factor will be if you want have SPS as those need a better light. for now you are fine and you may never need anything different if it works for you.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back