My First Monster All Predator Tank Build

Awesome458

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting my official monster tank build thread… I’m just getting going on this, so at this point I’m still deciding on the specific size and the equipment I’ll need. I’ll try to keep this current and detail my thoughts on why I’m choosing the equipment and products that I will be using.

Plans this far:

At this point, I’m looking at professionally built acrylic tank that will be either 14’ or 16’ long, 30” or 36” wide and 30” or 36” tall. This will get sorted soon, as my equipment needs will be dictated by the needs of the specific tank size I choose.

I’m also going to make all systems on the tank as fully automated as possible, with a remote equipment room ~120’ away in a separate building. This equipment room will feature a digital microscopy bench to supplement the water quality test bench.

I’m researching ways for controlling the water flow and current to optimise the environment for the fish. My plan is for an all predator tank, populated with Trigger fish primarily, with a couple of eels to round out the family. I’m probably going with live rock and I doubt I will include any live coral at this point.

Triggers are voracious eaters and as a result, they create a large bio waste load to manage. Filtration will be well sorted (and oversized no doubt) to keep everything pristine and within acceptable parameters.

There is a million things to do and sort out with a tank this size… We are even having our slab evaluated to ensure it can properly support the tanks weight. We are getting a new whole house RO/DI water system to ensure that there is ample water available for our home needs, as well as for the tanks needs.

It’s a lot to process and sort, but that’s half the fun! We are in the process of remodelling our entire home, so everything will be easier
to access the location for the tank install and equipment room build.

Cheers!

Last edited:

sphinx15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drama Popcorn GIF by Alexander IRL

OP
OP
Awesome458

Awesome458

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I finally found a high quality industrial pre-insulated PVC pipe to use from my DT in the house to the remote equipment room (120’ away)! GF URECON pre-insulated PVC pipe is available In Schedule 40 and 80 with a full line of fittings.

It is made to handle the heat (up to 300 degrees F) and prevent any substantive heat load increases on the water going to and from the DT in the main house to the remote equipment room. KaChing!

I’m also making some headway on the new whole house RO/DI water treatment system. I have not been able to find any suitable residential models that will work, so I’m looking at commercial units from Apex or WECO, with the necessary accessories and storage tanks. I’m still researching this and would appreciate any pointers to light commercial RO/DI units that any of you use at your business.

Thanks in advance and Cheers!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Awesome458

Awesome458

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A commercial grade RODI system is probably the way to go. I could have a peek at the one my LFS uses if you like?
That would be great, thanks for your assistance! The next time you drop by your LFS, see if they will let you take a peek. Thanks in advance and Cheers!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back