My first nano reef (30g)

Yaniv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I finally decided to make the bald move and start a nano reef (my first reef aquarium ever... I have a 100g marine tank with fish only running for a 1.5 years).
I would like to share what I have done so far, show you some pictures, and keep you updated with how the process is going.

so here we go...

The tank is a custom rimless tank built to according to my directions (or better said - my wife's directions... it had to fit to a certain corner in the guest bedroom). it is approximately 30g with an internal sump on the left "wall".

IMG_0900.JPG

In the sump I have some media, a BubbleMagus C3.5 protein skimmer, a heater and a powerhead.

I bought 10Kg of dry rocks. They went through extensive cleaning and then I built this structure from them:
IMG_1373.JPG

Filling the tank with RO water took a few days...
IMG_1391.JPG

but finally yesterday it was all full, and I turned all systems on to make sure everything is working properly.

this is what I have in the cabinet - temperature controller to turn on/off the heater - and will be used in the future to turn on/off the ventilators. you can also see the wave maker controller. I have a Jebao WP-10 which is small but seems sufficient, with a very nice controller that can change speeds and pause for feeding.

IMG_1406.JPG

For lighting - I chose the EcoTech Radion XR15W Pro. It is fully programmed which is very convenient, and I read good reviews on it.

After finishing filling in water, I added salt to get to 1.026 salinity, and then added some bacteria.

So this is how the tank looks now - DAY 1 of my reef! Wish me luck!

IMG_7155.JPG

OP
OP
Y

Yaniv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Since this is my first run with corals, I thought to start with soft corals and lps. I will see how it goes... Any recommendations?

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be worth it to get a cover for that tank because many fish such as gobies and dartfish are known to jump and all fish have the chance to jump

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at a cup coral, sun coral, and some nice blastos. Of course there are always tons of options with zoas too...all depends upon what you are looking for. My 2 duncans and my flower pot are my personal favorites.

OP
OP
Y

Yaniv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need wi-fi for that light or can you plug it into your PC, program it, then disconnect from PC?

Out of the box, the light can be connected via USB to a PC, programmed and disconnected. It's a one time thing unless you want to change something in the settings. However, you can also purchase a wireless adapter and then connect to the light through wifi. So far the USB connection seems sufficient to my needs.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.9%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 77 48.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back