My first Reef - 10G Nuvo Cube

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

This is my first saltwater aquarium, have been a long freshwater guy but now finally turning into salt!

Here is my current setup :

Setup

Aquarium: IM Nuvo 10G
Light: AI Prime HD w/difuser
Sump: Using Chemi-pure carbon, Phosguard, Whool and running a refugium with IM MagnaFuge light
Heater: Eheim Jager 50W

Current Water Testing

dKH: 12.1dKH
Ca: 410ppm
Mg: 1290ppm
NO3: 0.2 - 0.5ppm
PO4: 0.008ppm

Here are some current pictures of the Aquarium , looking good, but currently fighting a weird white slime that is taking over glass, rock and pump :(

IMG_6234.JPG
IMG_6232.JPG
IMG_6226.JPG
IMG_6224.JPG
IMG_6221.JPG
IMG_6216.JPG
IMG_6212.JPG
IMG_6210.JPG
IMG_6207.JPG
IMG_6201.JPG
IMG_6189.JPG
IMG_6186.JPG

OP
OP
J

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really good.
Looks good, next you’ll be adding a 0, 100 gallon, ya baby!
Haha , thank you, yes I hope I'll be adding a 0 in 2 years or so, I really love this hobby and soon will crowd this cube with corals :p. Just hope this white bacteria or what the heck it is goes away soon,

Cheers

OP
OP
J

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an update, got 2 more corals, and introduced the 1st SPS , Montipora !! :) :) Monti is still on the sand so it gets used to the light, I'm scared of burning it down ...

Any sugestion for placing it after ? I'm thinking about some of the top shelfs or the left side of the main rock ( where there is like a bridge) .

Also, I think i started beating the white slime, not growing as fast!

Cheers

IMG_6278.JPG
IMG_6289.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice!

OP
OP
J

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice!

Thank you haha, any tips for some corals for this nano? i'm thinking about more SPS like Acros and stuff, to put in the holes of the main rock , sides etc. Also, since I can see you're an experienced reefer, should I completely cut the Zoanthids off the plug disk or should I just cut around the disk and glue that piece ?

Thanks a lot!

OP
OP
J

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice scape! Corals look amazing. Are you using a filter while taking the pics? Or do you just adjust your lighting?

Thanks hehe, everything going good and growing, hope yours is going the same route!

Regarding the photo , my Canon has a White Balance calibrator, where I take a normal picture of the aquarium with all blue and stuff, and then I select that photo and tell the Canon to calibrate to that and it does it's magic :D

JB's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks hehe, everything going good and growing, hope yours is going the same route!

Regarding the photo , my Canon has a White Balance calibrator, where I take a normal picture of the aquarium with all blue and stuff, and then I select that photo and tell the Canon to calibrate to that and it does it's magic :D
Oh dam, that is fancy! Mine is getting there slowly. Making a trip to World Wide Corals this weekend to pick up a few frags. Maybe an anemone for the clowns, we shall see!

OP
OP
J

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh dam, that is fancy! Mine is getting there slowly. Making a trip to World Wide Corals this weekend to pick up a few frags. Maybe an anemone for the clowns, we shall see!

Mine already hosted the torch coral but sometime I would like to have an anemone too! Best of luck, get some nice corals in there!

OP
OP
J

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last week got a new addition... Acropora and a new friend to my clown (Also helps by producing waste :)). I will soon fill up the rest of the rock work with SPS :)

I've only been concerned I'm not getting enough water flow near the rock structure in the front, where i will start filling with Acros.
Does anyone have a suggestion where to place the flow pump within this rock space?

I currently have it on the right corner near the back of the tank, blasting into the back glass that makes it circulate all around the aquarium but I'm not sure about the flow near the Main Rock.

Also if I raise the pump waterflow, i might rip my Torch off :):)

IMG_6349.JPG
IMG_6351.JPG
IMG_6357.JPG
IMG_6360.JPG

stylolvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be curious to see how that Monti does that high in the tank. Those are a mid-range light coral, so keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get cooked. Great looking tank!

OP
OP
J

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be curious to see how that Monti does that high in the tank. Those are a mid-range light coral, so keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get cooked. Great looking tank!
Thank you!!
Yeah i moved it there but I'm always watching it to see if it is too much light. I'm keeping a photo record of it, as it came from transportation like half bleached ( from stress I guess , you can check my 1st photo of it , it was bad :( ) it is not bleaching further and looks like It's healing!

stylolvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are tons out there. I'm a huge fan of stylophoras (hence the user name) and milliporas, and montis (encrusting and branching) are pretty hardy for the most part. It really depends on your preference and budget, but in my opinion, there's not many that are not aesthetically pleasing given the right lighting (which you seem to have).

OP
OP
J

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been investigating some corals, still not sure what SPS to buy. I have a lot of slots to fill in the rock :)

Could this be Coraline growing on my snail?

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-15 at 15.23.03.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back