My first reef tank is a Crystal Dynamics 250 gallon build.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The work bench, and shelving unit for the quarantine tanks are in place. Time to start looking into setting up the QT's.
Fish Room Build21.jpg

The quarantine tanks got to be very involved, far more than just 25 gallon glass box. I wanted to experiment with a smaller body of water before forging ahead to my main tank. This has worked out exactly as planned. I made a bunch of mistakes while setting up the QT’s and I have not regretted the complexity I built into them.
Coral QT Tank Equipment .jpg

Being a retired sysadmin I must have my controller and toys, err, modules. I went with the Classic to just get my feet wet with this stuff. It worked out well for me.
QT Apex Build.jpg

Finally the QT's are up and running!
QT Running1.jpg

I started researching a reef tank by reading books, a bunch of books, and discovered that nearly every author had the best way to setup a reef tank. I would need to be careful about what system/information I would chose to follow.

I came across the Red Sea systems and was impressed with them. At the time the largest tank was the Max S-650. I did a YouTube search on the tank and came across such a variety of other videos. I was overwhelmed. In that collection of videos I ran across this channel called BRS, Bulk Reef Supply. They had just started a series called “52 Weeks of Reefing” and it was extremely informative. A side note, it’s been a pleasure watching Ryan change from the stiff, non-animated presenter, to the live stream host he is today.

Sometime later I came across Tidal Gardens. Than’s presentations were a joy to watch with a great deal of helpful information. More books were read, more videos were watched and more research on tanks.

Along the way Red Sea came out with XXL 750 and that was my new tank of desire. I put together an extensive equipment list and cost analysis based mostly from the BRS site. I really like the idea that they were reefers and sold stuff they would use on their personnel tanks. Ok, I was a little biased because they are located in my home state and rather enjoyed hearing the MN accent. Another aside if I may, riddle me this; why is MN my home state when I haven’t lived there for more than 40 years? Both my wife I have still have the majority of our families there so we always smile when we call MN our home. Back to the story…

Enter MACNA 2018. This would be my first MACNA and since Las Vegas is only a 6 hour drive from our current home My Love and I thought it would be a great road trip. An excellent chance to see more of this amazing state of Utah. Yet another side note, there are areas here in Utah where the only sign of humanity is the Interstate road we were on. There were no fences, no power lines, no billboards, not a single indication of humanity for as far as the eye could see. That was a first for me! Even in northern MN there would be powerlines running along the road when there was nothing else but trees.

I was blown away by what I saw there; amazing stuff, everywhere! Here is where I came across the tank and sump of my dreams. While more expensive than the XXL 750 a custom tank from Crystal Dynamic (72x30x27) and a sump from Geosreef (46RD-PRO-AFR) were the setup I had been looking for. The order was placed several months later and I took delivery of this system the 11 January 2019.

The gorgeous sump!
Geosreef1.jpg
Geosreef2.jpg
Geosreef3.jpg
Geosreef4.jpg

The tank is HERE!
Tank HERE!1.jpg
Tank HERE!2.jpg
Tank HERE!3.jpg

With the help of family and great friends the tank is being moved downstairs!
Tank Move1.jpg
Tank Move2.jpg

Here the beauty sits. I really can't believe that this is my tank!
Tank w Doors On.jpg
What brand of glass suction cups did you use, where did you get them from??

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unclear on your question. The suction cups we used to move the tank into the basement was supplied by neighbor who has been doing this hobby for many years.
I was just curious because I am looking to buy some suction cups and want to know a good brand of them to buy

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much was the tank and stand from Crystal dynamic aquarium???

Did you go with the synergy shadow overflow??

It's best to contact Crystal Dynamics for any question on cost because their are many options if you are going to go with a custom tank.

I did go with the Synergy Overflow because I wanted to run a Bean Animal system.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just curious because I am looking to buy some suction cups and want to know a good brand of them to buy
Woods Power Grip in Montana. They only sell through glass companies but they might be able to get you a local number. If not send me a PM and I can get them priced as shipped to you. Granite and solid surface shops use them as well.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to get a similar tank from CD and I am torn on what kind of overflow to get, it has to be quiet, my tank is driving my wife crazy, me I do not care, so how is the ghost overflow? I have heard some complaints if you run a lot of water through it, it gets loud. Have you experienced that, and OH for people wondering about price there website is real good and clicking and adjusting the price as you go. Be careful like Costco it can add up fast.

OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to get a similar tank from CD and I am torn on what kind of overflow to get, it has to be quiet, my tank is driving my wife crazy, me I do not care, so how is the ghost overflow? I have heard some complaints if you run a lot of water through it, it gets loud. Have you experienced that, and OH for people wondering about price there website is real good and clicking and adjusting the price as you go. Be careful like Costco it can add up fast.

I am running a pair of COR20’s at 35% and 40% for a flow of around 550 gph and the Ghost Overflow is quite for the most part. There’s an occasional gurgle but that could also be coming from the sump. Just make sure to extend the inlet tubes below the running water level. That’s where the vast majority of the noise came from for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask when you ordered and how long it took for you to get your tank?

The tank was ordered on 28 Sep 2018 and was delivered on 11 Jan 2019.

CD had an a huge back order at the time my order went in so I am not sure this is a good representation on normal turn around time.

Regardless, the wait was worth it because the tank and stand are stunning and it was well worth the wait.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was ordered on 28 Sep 2018 and was delivered on 11 Jan 2019.

CD had an a huge back order at the time my order went in so I am not sure this is a good representation on normal turn around time.

Regardless, the wait was worth it because the tank and stand are stunning and it was well worth the wait.

thanks. I ordered mine a week after you and still have not received it.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing build so far, and LOVING the aquascape! Following :)

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Eight months is an awfully long time. Have you been in contact with Zoya? That doesn’t seem right, something has got to be messed up.

It's should be coming Thursday. Can't wait! Like you this will be my first tank and going all out high-end. I'm not sure why it took so long but I was told it would be at least 5 months by many people.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back