My first saltwater tank

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys so I just posted my 55gal community freshwater tank and people asked about my salt tank. Here's a video of my RG my beautiful white flurry clown and my six line wrasse. And yes before everybody goes crazy in the comments. I have a HOB filter and a HOB skimmer. It's a budget build and more or less for me to learn the chemistry of saltwater before I go forking out my life savings on things as I'm a single father with a 5 yr old and have bills. We all have to start somewhere right? So please don't hate in the comments just wanted to show you guys my setup as of right now. Soon I will be adding corals to get that vibrant pop in the tank. Let me see your videos and pics of your tank. Again sorry for video quality my camera is garbage lol. Happy reefing guys.

Attachments

• VID_20220422_103821.mp4
    65.9 MB

jbaird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the saltwater community. I am also a newcomer to the saltwater field. My advice is read as much as you can. The Bulk Reef Supply videos on youtube have helped me a lot. One piece of advice don't rush things. I bought a coral when my tank was about 6 months old only to have it die on me as my tanks parameters were not steady enough.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!! No hate here! I have hob filter and skimmer on my reef tank, no shame man trust me. They do the job, maybe have no bells and whistles but they definitely get the job done. Happy reefing!

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for being supportive!!! It makes me want to keep going deeper into the hobby. Was afraid to post my tank because of so many bad reviews on HOB filters and skimmers but like I said it's a budget build and to learn. And yes jbaird I watch brstv for so long I watched them before I even started freshwater. I have always wanted salt since a kid but knew how much more maintenance and chemistry went beg and it and like I said I didn't want to spend tons of money for it to be waisted. I'm still learning everyday. I do multiple water changes a week and I catch my self sitting in front of my tank for a hour just watching my six line weave in and out of the rock structure and my beautiful white flurry doing his thing. Hopefully when I get more space and knowledge I hope to expand to a bigger tank.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for being supportive!!! It makes me want to keep going deeper into the hobby. Was afraid to post my tank because of so many bad reviews on HOB filters and skimmers but like I said it's a budget build and to learn. And yes jbaird I watch brstv for so long I watched them before I even started freshwater. I have always wanted salt since a kid but knew how much more maintenance and chemistry went beg and it and like I said I didn't want to spend tons of money for it to be waisted. I'm still learning everyday. I do multiple water changes a week and I catch my self sitting in front of my tank for a hour just watching my six line weave in and out of the rock structure and my beautiful white flurry doing his thing. Hopefully when I get more space and knowledge I hope to expand to a bigger tank.
i do 5% water change on a 90 every 1 months or so. you are just costing urself more money doing multiple water changes a week just do 1 every week or 2

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! New around here also, setting up my second 55 gallon. Our first one (10 years ago), ran fantastically with only a HOB protein skimmer (live rock/sand). So, we're doing the same this time!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good.
You will get the "uglies" soon, but do not worry, it happens. You will get some green and brown all over the rocks and maybe the sand.
Water changes are a good way to keep parameters stable without all the other crazy equipment. I have HOB on my 6g and does fine. Once weekly or every 10days is fine.
Find your passion and have fun on the ride.

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes tuan I have been researching and researching on lights. I can not afford a prime or the top of the line. I have been looking at the current USA LED fixture and yes it has bad reviews as does everything. But my tank is only 12 inches deep and as you can see my rock structure takes up most of that. So I think I will be ok with the par reading as so comments say it isn't true to spec. But my first corals will be softies. No lps no sps. Things like xnenia and other hardy corals so I can learn from those corals and how to dose properly so I can get those awesome gorgeous corals in the future. If you guys have any experience with lower end LEDs please let me know as I'm looking to purchase one.

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Denise Andy! For being supportive. I definitely know my passion and what I want to do. REEFING!!!

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB filters are great! I've been running two Seachem Tidals on my 90g for over a year and another on my 40g. No need for a sump or refugium because I keep a lot of macro algae which does most of the nutrient export right in my display. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our last tank that ran very well used a 4 foot budget T5 setup from Amazon, something like $100 (but I can't find the model now 10 years later). If I recall we did have one issue with the unit early on but likely due to shipping and the company sent a second one free of charge, which lasted until we moved and sold the tank. It is in the pic of our old tank in my build thread for the new one:

I would have done T5s again but we were able to upgrade to Radion LEDs for the new tank.

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a seachems HOB as well. And what do you mean as you have macro algae to help export your nutrient

mynd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a seachems HOB as well. And what do you mean as you have macro algae to help export your nutrient
Macro algae are like saltwater plants so they consume nitrates, phosphates, and plenty other nutrients/elements. So the macro algae (and the surface skimmer on the Seachems) does the job instead of a protein skimmer or frequent water changes. I still have to do water changes every now and then, but mostly its just to clean up any cyanobacteria or detritus buildup.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I adapted a hang on refugium to a media filter, and an in-tank Tunze canister and does a great and quiet job

tanks looks great and lets see more of it as you progress

Back