My First Skimmer - Is This Normal?

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Reef Octopus eSsence 130 as my first skimmer. I filled my sump this evening, and I turned the skimmer on to start its break-in period. I know that it needs to break in, but it doesn’t appear to be making as many bubbles as I thought that it would. I need to adjust the elevation of the skimmer to the appropriate water level, which I will work on this coming weekend.

Does the skimmer, in the following videos, appear to be acting normally?

I’m sorry about the portrait orientation of the videos, but it was the only way to capture what I intended to without a terrible glare in the space that I have.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is RO/DI water. I had no idea that it would act differently being in RO/DI water instead of saltwater. I guess I have some reading to do.

Thanks for the moment of realization!

Yep; it’s a new tank.

Yea you need to have salt in order for it to work properly. Remember to add the salt slowly

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt water allows for extremely fine bubbles, which is essential in creating the foam that traps solids suspended in the water. It is why you do not see protein skimmers in fresh water setups.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also have to have some bio load to see any results. I have the Essence 130. It took almost a month to break in. It’s also pretty finicky about depth. I found that 7-7.5” is the sweet spot

It’s a great skimmer

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also have to have some bio load to see any results. I have the Essence 130. It took almost a month to break in. It’s also pretty finicky about depth. I found that 7-7.5” is the sweet spot

It’s a great skimmer
What size is your tank? I had one and just upgraded to something bigger, it stopped pulling stuff out. OP what size is your tank as well? Just curious.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
53 gallon DT. I would probably not advise putting the 130 on anything smaller

You have to get the right depth with this skimmer, I suggest 7.25"

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s a great skimmer
Thanks for the recommendation on the depth of the skimmer!

What size is your tank? I had one and just upgraded to something bigger, it stopped pulling stuff out. OP what size is your tank as well? Just curious.
Mine is a Waterbox 100.3, so ~100g.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skimmers do not efficient in tropical tanks . Once you get the tank up, running and with a bio load it will start working . I would turn it off until you start cycling your tank . Then start breaking it in running wide open for a few days to a week . slowing turning it once you start stocking the tank.. During cycling the tank the skimmer will be very sporadic even over flowing at times and producing nothing at others

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skimmers do not efficient in tropical tanks . Once you get the tank up, running and with a bio load it will start working . I would turn it off until you start cycling your tank . Then start breaking it in running wide open for a few days to a week . slowing turning it once you start stocking the tank.. During cycling the tank the skimmer will be very sporadic even over flowing at times and producing nothing at others

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back