My First SPS Foray and Other Pics :D

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
1,773
Reaction score
9
Location
Maine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A freebie from MeCold- Yellow body with little green polyps:
DSC00013-1.jpg


From my LFS- They didn't know what it was, but I am thinking Montipora?? Purple body with bright yellow mouth polyps:
DSC00018-1.jpg


DSC00019.jpg


DSC00012-1.jpg


This is just some odd palys I picked up. Green centers and mouth, with yellow and pink discs. They are about the size of a nickel-quarter size each. Very little skirt- I think they were dying. I'm hoping when they beef up they could be weird looking- not quite grandis, but something like that???

DSC00021-1.jpg


:D
Laurie
 
The 1st one looks alot like the Scripps Green tip Staghorn A.micropthalama, but the other one looks like it needs to be fraged.
:wink:
 
I was told the acro was an acro straita, but the general concensus is it is the scripp acro from ora. I can tell you it grows FAST, and looks awsome when it gets to be a full colony. I love giving that one away!
 
mecold said:
I was told the acro was an acro straita, but the general concensus is it is the scripp acro from ora. I can tell you it grows FAST, and looks awsome when it gets to be a full colony. I love giving that one away!

Well, the freebie was prolly worth more than I gave you for the palys!!! I love it. For almost a decade, I only kept softies and different aggresives. THen I wanted to keep some nonaggresive reef fish, and started the reef. THen I started adding softies... :lol:

I just keep getting more and more addicted to my tank. You know, with as much time as Mainers spend indoors when it starts to drop below zero and poop snow everywhere, the tank keeps me from getting cabin fever. Always something new to look at or design, or do. It's the only way a North Carolinian can survive in Maine...! I get really homesick this time of year because when the leaves start to change it reminds me of the Appalachians. I went to school in Boone (I grew up in W-S) just because of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

:D
Laurie
 
Believe me, that acro was geven to me as part of a frag deal from a friend. Really, I ended up with something like 20 different nice frags for 100. So, I pass that one out quite often to someone who wants to try acros.
 
I would say Turbinara, also, but it is different from any that I've seen. Similar to a yellow one I have, but still somewhat different.

That does look like the Scripps Green Tip (A. microphthalma). It tends to be a weed once it starts growing. Welcome to the world of SPS :) .
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new