OP
attiland

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would note that setting them up and connecting to the wireless is easy enough... If you use an iPhone. An Android, not-so-much. I'm an Android only house and STILL can't get them on the wifi.

Luckily, my needs are simple, so I just did it manually on the controller. Still sucks not being able to use the app, though.
I have no experience with the android app however I think your issue is more like that you likely have the 5Ghz network enabled. Try disabling it and almost sure it will work.
So in your opinion is the new version incrementally better than the slw for the price difference or not?
I have to agree the extra money worth the difference. Way better experience to set the pump up via the app and easier to understand the functionality of each modes. The controller allows you to easily see if all is ok with the pump too. If for example I disconnect the pump from the controller it displays an alert which is handy.
OP said that when you set these new smart series to master, you lose timer functions....
what exactly does that mean?
I have a couple older SOW models and was planning on getting a new MOW model to use as a master, and I was going to set the old SOW models to slaves. If I do this...what timer functions do I lose?

Right now my old SOW models just run a single (W2) mode 24/7 anyway, save the night mode. Was hoping with the new MOW model as master, I would be able to change it up a bit.... is that not the case? will it only operate in a single mode still when in master/slave mode?
The timer function allows you to let’s say lower the intensity at night. My experience is it was not allowing me to set that up unce I have set the wave maker to master to command my older wave maker.
I don’t really see the logic in that but I don’t use this anyway. It also could be my inability to figure out how to do this but I will be honest I didn’t really made the effort.
I will likely when the time comes replace the other pump to the same model in which case I won’t travel to use master-slave settings anyway.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with the android app however I think your issue is more like that you likely have the 5Ghz network enabled. Try disabling it and almost sure it will work.
Yeah. No. My 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks are seperate (I'm in IT guy by trade. ;) ). It's an issue with Android devices, and has been since they released the SLW-Xm wifi models (and app). You can look through threads from a year ago and people were having the same issue, they just never fixed it.

Once they're connected and added to the app, then you can control them just fine on an Andorid device. I even dug out an old 2nd or 3rd gen iPad to try setting them up, but the thing wouldn't charge or power on. But I don't use feed modes, and my schedule is the same 24/7, so I just set them up manually using the controllers and forgot about them.

If that's all someone was planning to do, the the regular SLW would be fine (although I do like the digital control on the MLW). But, if someone has access to an Apple device to set them up, then the app makes the MLW worth the premium.

OP
OP
attiland

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. No. My 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks are seperate (I'm in IT guy by trade. ;) ). It's an issue with Android devices, and has been since they released the SLW-Xm wifi models (and app). You can look through threads from a year ago and people were having the same issue, they just never fixed it.

Once they're connected and added to the app, then you can control them just fine on an Andorid device. I even dug out an old 2nd or 3rd gen iPad to try setting them up, but the thing wouldn't charge or power on. But I don't use feed modes, and my schedule is the same 24/7, so I just set them up manually using the controllers and forgot about them.

If that's all someone was planning to do, the the regular SLW would be fine (although I do like the digital control on the MLW). But, if someone has access to an Apple device to set them up, then the app makes the MLW worth the premium.
Ok just my IT background was talking. Since I don’t own android devices I have never realised there may be an issue with the android app.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prices of brand names is so outrageous these days, it actually make more sense to buy the knock offs.
powerheads going for 500.00 dollars and even more in some cases. That’s the rip off. They change it because they can get it.
Yes only one that could possibly be somewhat worth the cost but in my opinion is still over priced is the abyss wavemaker. That being said I feel way to many people are ok with the over prices name brands charge, only for the bragging rights that having them earns!

I can't tell you the amount of times people have acted like the mp40/60 are the only wavemakers for reefs, and talk down about my jebao ones. Then a few months later they are telling me they had to replace the wet side, or send back the dry side for warranty, all while my jebao keep on going.
I actually just had my first jebao gyre ( 5 years old) start to go out. That only costed me about 90.00. Not a bad investment for 5+ years use. The other one I bought at the same time is still going too!

Raden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about pulling the trigger on buying some MOW's. I am also looking at Coral-Box QPS's. Any idea how these would compare in quality? I'm on a tight budget and need to upgrade, I want to be carefulwith what I buy. I have been using Korilla power heads for years but they are losing power and I would like more control.

OP
OP
attiland

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about pulling the trigger on buying some MOW's. I am also looking at Coral-Box QPS's. Any idea how these would compare in quality? I'm on a tight budget and need to upgrade, I want to be carefulwith what I buy. I have been using Korilla power heads for years but they are losing power and I would like more control.
By the look of Coral-Box QPS's it is comparable with the jebao rw series. I would go as fare they are almost the same.

SLW and MLW has the advantage of wide flow which was my reason to buy it. I wasn’t happy with the RW design simply because I have found it’s maintenance hard. MLW wins this part too.

OP
OP
attiland

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well @Raden here is your answer from @jamesdomini4 SLW and MLW is the way to go. :)

fox tv GIF by Paradise Hotel

Raden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I can't find a vendor to ship to Canada for a reasonable price on the Jebao MOW/MLW. Looks like I will be going with a Jebao SOW or the Coralbox QpS. I was told Coralbox is Jebao but a little better quality?

OP
OP
attiland

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I can't find a vendor to ship to Canada for a reasonable price on the Jebao MOW/MLW. Looks like I will be going with a Jebao SOW or the Coralbox QpS. I was told Coralbox is Jebao but a little better quality?
Thought coralbx look awfully familiar. :) don’t go for that design.
I bought mine on Amazon but if time is not so much matter check out AliExpress.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ebay!

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think they are any better quality Logan just makes deals to buy a lot full, and gets them relabled

Raden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked on ebay, aliexpress, and Amazon. The Jebao MOW is significantly more expensive than the coralbox qps and the Jebao SOW. I like the "OW" models as they swivel. About $60can more if I go MOW.

Raden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a vendor just tell me that the Jebao MLW/MOW controllers will not connect to Samsung phones

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked on ebay, aliexpress, and Amazon. The Jebao MOW is significantly more expensive than the coralbox qps and the Jebao SOW. I like the "OW" models as they swivel. About $60can more if I go MOW.
The sow is much cheaper on eBay too. With the mow price is for the app and new digital controller. If your wanting a basic analog controller and no app you can get the sow20 for about 60 less then the mow22

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
attiland

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is your call. Like I said I have no way related to either of the brands. You can give me commissions of you savings though ;)
I had a vendor just tell me that the Jebao MLW/MOW controllers will not connect to Samsung phones
Somebody said something similar about the android app earlier in this tread. I have no android devices to test but I understand it is only an issue while initially connecting the device to the WiFi.
not sure if the issue has been addressed though

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been a Tunze guy for a long time, still am.
I have 3 6105's that work real well even after 15 years of use.
When I setup my 120 I used 2 ow-25's because I wanted to see how bad they were and how long they would actually last.
I am very impressed with the Jebaos. The controller is better with more functions, imo, than Tunze.

The kicker for most is the price. Like someone said not everyone can afford 3-$500 pumps.
You can buy 4 ow-40's for the price of 1 6105.

I get the Chinese comments and its not going to stop, unfortunately.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my jebao mdc10000 return pumps on a closed loop. They have the same app as the mow ect. I connected the app to my android pad with zero issue

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had one of these for about a year of off and on use. It is now running in my new tank with a Nero 3. Mine is the MLW 5. My only complaint is you can only have 2 programs a day. If they can’t do unlimited at least give more than 2. Being able to change it to 4 programs a day would have been plenty.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back