My HLLE (Head and lateral line erosion)experience

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a selfin tang . When I bought added it to my aquarium, it was a lovely fish and was completely healthy. After that I added a neon velvet demsel. I was completely surprised when I saw demsel hitting it's face with it's tail and my tang was happy(as when demsel do that it always stayed in its white colour). Then the problem started after 1 week, it started itching and started developing to develop hole around its eye area. Then I started to search on internet about the cause and at that time I came to know about reef2reef website. It was fantastic I got every information here and I came to know that I can't do anything about it as it has no cure. Only thing I can do is give it a good nutrition. I checked stray voltage, running carbon but nothing was going wrong. Then, I decided to give it varied diet. After that I kept that tang for 4 yrs and finally it died. The day it died, it seemed to be happy. I feeded it only 3 min ago! I was near it when it died. It was swimming and playing with demsel but suddenly falled. I checked it and found that it was died (as I have heard that tangs love to play dead). Few photos are below. Will post vedio when my phone will come back after repair. See how playful it was. It was one of my best fishes!
IMG_20221228_212312.jpg

IMG-20221228-WA0007.jpg

OP
OP
KING KONG

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is can I add one tang now as it is 3 weeks when I lost it. I really want to put a tang. Currently I have that blue velvet demsel and a lionfish so it would be good if I can add one but I don't want to kill one more fish with hlle....

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HLLE is rarely fatal, I've had sailfin tangs live for over ten years with it. When they died, it was more that they had HLLE when they died, and not that it caused their death.

HLLE is caused by environmental issues - carbon use is the most common and the only cause that has been studied. Other potential causes include general water quality issues and dietary problems.

Here is a link to an article I wrote on my HLLE studies:

Jay

Back