mbri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New build incoming :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Just upgraded from a Fluval Evo 13.5 to a JBJ RF-25 that I got during the BRS Black Friday sale. Absolutely loving this tank so far, the stand is sleek and I love the rimless look that's maintained with the glass lid.

Sticking with the stock pump for now, and the Hygger powerhead that I had in the Evo, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a VorTech at some point. Enjoying the filter socks as they're easy to swap out and clean, I have some of my old biomax in the sump and run carbon for a few days at a time as needed.

After some success with a couple mushrooms and cloves, I have somewhat gotten over my fear of coral keeping and have ordered a torch and a discosoma mushroom from Lucky Corals, and I'm picking up a GSP frag on Thursday from Pieces of the Ocean (and I'm sure that I'll pick something else up when I visit the store :grinning-face-with-sweat:).

I would like to have a couple monti caps, a torch, some mushrooms, GSP for a little GSP island in the sand, and a birdsnest (I think this will come last - I'm still a little nervous for that one). Assuming I keep those alive and thriving, I'll look into a couple more things to add.

As for fish, I'm deciding between some combination of an ocellaris clown, a longnose hawkfish, blue-green chromis, and a royal gramma. I feel like all four would be too many and/or they'd try to kill each other, but let me know if you feel otherwise.

Super excited to see where this thing goes! :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Last edited:
OP
OP
mbri

mbri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JBJ 1.jpg
JBJ 2.jpg

Still adjusting things, but so far I'm happy with how it's coming along. Super excited to get more corals in here! :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Thinking about renting a PAR meter from BRS to map out the tank.

OP
OP
mbri

mbri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking update: I'll be receiving my order from Lucky Corals (gold torch & red discosoma mushroom) this Thursday, and I'm picking up the GSP from Pieces of the Ocean tomorrow. My order from Dr. Reef's has been updated to "livestock acquired & being QT'ed," so somewhere between 4-6 weeks I should be receiving them. :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Random observation: it is so, so much easier to maintain stable parameters in this tank compared to my 13.5 Evo.

OP
OP
mbri

mbri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will need to find a new solution to water changes because lugging around a 5 gallon bucket is going to kill me. It's like a workout that I am being forced to participate in.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I will need to find a new solution to water changes because lugging around a 5 gallon bucket is going to kill me. It's like a workout that I am being forced to participate in.
Definitely something you may want to make simple. If it's any much of a burden, eventually over time anyone would be less likely to do them.

Can always buy a 10 15 gallon reservoir to sit pretty near your display. Hauling buckets is a big pain lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back