My lil reef

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey sorry I’ve been preoccupied so I’m late to reply!
1. I love the avast auto neck cleaner, it’s been very helpful. I stopped using a skimmate locker though after I had an accident. The neck cleaner has been a real jewel though.
2. I love the powermodule and wouldn’t swap it for anything :)
Hey Rick, I started reading backward (that’s how I do things :) ) through your thread to learn more about how you do things. I came across this post about the skimmate locker. I use mine when I travel. What was the accident with yours?

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I broke down and ordered 40Kg of the little Reborn media since it was all that I could find, I paid a small fortune for it, but it should mean I don’t have to worry about calcium and alkalinity for the next 5 years or so. Now I’m going to have to apologize to my UPS driver again!

E7C86AC7-95F2-4FF1-AB86-06CC29030FCA.jpeg
I've always admired your display, perhaps my favorite reef tank. Amazing work with this Chalice and best of luck with the new studio.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I broke down and ordered 40Kg of the little Reborn media since it was all that I could find, I paid a small fortune for it, but it should mean I don’t have to worry about calcium and alkalinity for the next 5 years or so. Now I’m going to have to apologize to my UPS driver again!

E7C86AC7-95F2-4FF1-AB86-06CC29030FCA.jpeg
what would you have used in lieu of it? I ordered a 40# box not too long ago, and then recently heard about the "shortage", and sure enough, no one has it anymore. I wouldn't know what to substitute for it since I like it so much. Someone said LFS can get super coarse crushed coral substrate that could work, but I don't know where to find something like that online.

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard they're having manufacturing issues. Who knows what that means hopefully it comes back.
That’s one I’ve heard as well!
just stunning :)
Thank you so much! :)
Hey Rick, I started reading backward (that’s how I do things :) ) through your thread to learn more about how you do things. I came across this post about the skimmate locker. I use mine when I travel. What was the accident with yours?
Mine was a combination of my fault and the sensor slipping out of the rubber gasket in the lid so when the skimmer overflowed it just filled the 5 gallon bucket of skimmate with tank water and it started filling the stand. Fortunately I caught it before any serious problems happened and I probably only lost about 10 gallons of tank water. (a shop vac is a fantastic way to suck 5 gallons of water out of your stand real quick.). After all that I decided I’d rather just empty my skimmer cup and not worry about that ever happening again.
I've always admired your display, perhaps my favorite reef tank. Amazing work with this Chalice and best of luck with the new studio.
Thank you, that made my day! :)
what would you have used in lieu of it? I ordered a 40# box not too long ago, and then recently heard about the "shortage", and sure enough, no one has it anymore. I wouldn't know what to substitute for it since I like it so much. Someone said LFS can get super coarse crushed coral substrate that could work, but I don't know where to find something like that online.
I’m not sure what I would have tried. Probably would have ordered some of the brightwell aquatics media to check it out, or just ordered ARM, or ran aragonite sand. I’m not sure.
noone wants to use ARM?
So the reason why I personally wanted to avoid switching media to ARM is because I have just refilled my reactor with 22lbs of reborn, and have a few pounds left over. At a certain point I’m going to have to top off the reactor, and if I want to use ARM and have it actually contribute the pH will have to be much lower than I currently run the reactor, which means I’d have to dump out what’s left of the reborn and replace it all with ARM since the melting points are so different. (I’m trying my best to avoid that as long as possible). If I was going to use ARM I’d save myself a headache and use it exclusively. Hope this helps explain my thoughts.

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the 88lbs of little Reborn showed up so I guess I am set for the foreseeable future. Next time I top off the reactor I am going to replace the ARM in my secondary reactor (which hasn’t dissolved at all over the last year) with this too.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly sure that if your glass blowing skills come close to your reefkeeping skills you'll be on easy street in no time! ;)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back