My lil reef

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to be absent for so long Daniel, this has been a trying year for me and my family, but we’ve gotten through it so far. The tank got neglected for far longer than I care to admit, and has suffered some losses, but is still kicking butt. I‘ve managed to solve some of the neglect issues, and catch up on some much needed maintenance on it. So it’s back on the upswing, it will just take time. Thank you for thinking of me, I’ll try to get back to updating my thread. As for the tank, it’s still kicking, in spite of me.
99C1667A-7089-4FF7-A2A9-6BC07C3914C3.jpeg
Sorry to hear things have been so hard for you guys, but very glad that you're still powering through. Praying for you and your family, my friend! The tank looks beautiful!

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for reaching out it really made my day today. I’ve been struggling a bit, as has the tank, but we are still above ground and kicking and that’s the most important part. Life and the tank are both on the upswing now so I can’t complain, and I’ll do my best to get back here and update this thread.

My life has largely been taken over trying to pursue my dreams of having a flameworking studio and I’ve nearly achieved that. The end is in sight and it’s both exciting and also physically and financially exhausting as well. It made me put all my other hobbies (reefkeeping included) in the back seat for the last year, and that’s been an emotional struggle as well. But it’s all good, because I’m on the otherside of those financial burdens and I own everything outright and have no one to answer to. (I’m blessed).

Family wise, my father was diagnosed with prostate cancer and tested postive for 10 out of 10 of the marker proteins (Very aggressive cancer). Fortunately they halted it’s growth and caught it before it spread. He underwent 9 weeks of focused radiation treatment and came out smiling on the other side of it. (He was a beacon of inspiration and positivity throughout the whole ordeal). I think it aged me and my mother a few years. But All is well, and he finished the treatments and they are confident that they got it all. Time will tell. This year was a wonderful Christmas to get to spend with them, I do not know how many more I will get as they are getting up there in years, so every one is a blessing.

Thank you all for thinking of me. The road has been rough but we’ve made it this far and there’s no stopping now! Things are wonderful now, and I look forward to sharing again! :)

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish you and your family the best Rick! That said if that's neglected maybe you need to come over and neglect my tank lol.

Thank you my friend! I’m honestly surprised I didn’t lose the tank, I was a bad reef keeper this year, I am ashamed to say.

Sorry to hear things have been so hard for you guys, but very glad that you're still powering through. Praying for you and your family, my friend! The tank looks beautiful!

Thank you so much Daniel, we’re doing well now! I’ll pass the love along!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to be absent for so long Daniel, this has been a trying year for me and my family, but we’ve gotten through it so far. The tank got neglected for far longer than I care to admit, and has suffered some losses, but is still kicking butt. I‘ve managed to solve some of the neglect issues, and catch up on some much needed maintenance on it. So it’s back on the upswing, it will just take time. Thank you for thinking of me, I’ll try to get back to updating my thread. As for the tank, it’s still kicking, in spite of me.
99C1667A-7089-4FF7-A2A9-6BC07C3914C3.jpeg

Sorry to hear you are off to a rough start this year. Sending good vibes for a fast turnaround!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a little upset I can’t find Two Little Fishies Reborn media anymore. That came as a bit of a shock and disappointment.

Did you check the links I posted to @Brew12 's thread?

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you all for reaching out it really made my day today. I’ve been struggling a bit, as has the tank, but we are still above ground and kicking and that’s the most important part. Life and the tank are both on the upswing now so I can’t complain, and I’ll do my best to get back here and update this thread.

My life has largely been taken over trying to pursue my dreams of having a flameworking studio and I’ve nearly achieved that. The end is in sight and it’s both exciting and also physically and financially exhausting as well. It made me put all my other hobbies (reefkeeping included) in the back seat for the last year, and that’s been an emotional struggle as well. But it’s all good, because I’m on the otherside of those financial burdens and I own everything outright and have no one to answer to. (I’m blessed).

Family wise, my father was diagnosed with prostate cancer and tested postive for 10 out of 10 of the marker proteins (Very aggressive cancer). Fortunately they halted it’s growth and caught it before it spread. He underwent 9 weeks of focused radiation treatment and came out smiling on the other side of it. (He was a beacon of inspiration and positivity throughout the whole ordeal). I think it aged me and my mother a few years. But All is well, and he finished the treatments and they are confident that they got it all. Time will tell. This year was a wonderful Christmas to get to spend with them, I do not know how many more I will get as they are getting up there in years, so every one is a blessing.

Thank you all for thinking of me. The road has been rough but we’ve made it this far and there’s no stopping now! Things are wonderful now, and I look forward to sharing again! :)
Good to hear that your father is doing well now. Hope you have a wonderful future this year. :)

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check the links I posted to @Brew12 's thread?
Thank you for you kind thoughts, and yes I did check those links, the price of the small packages is so much more than what the box used to cost, but since that ship has sailed (or sunk) I‘m guessing that’s what’s left. I should be good for 6 months or so until I need to add media, in which case I may be regretting not paying the price they want for the small bags. (I’ve got to do some soul searching).

Good to hear that your father is doing well now. Hope you have a wonderful future this year. :)
Thank you so much! We’re very grateful, and I’m going to do my best to have a great year.

Thank you.

Whish you all good in the future - your tank looks very good

Flameworking studio - does that means that you are a glass artist?

Sincerely Lasse
I’m preparing to embark on the journey of becoming a glass artist. I’m an artist at heart and am excited to make the leap into borosilicate glass as a medium, it’s been calling my name for a very long time. I’ve invested in a system to produce my own compressed oxygen on demand. It should allow me the luxury of learning (without going broke) and ultimately producing Artwork at competitive prices. I‘m going to try an focus on glass jewelry to start. It’s an exciting/terrifying journey so far. The logistics of my studio build has taken a great deal of my time just brainstorming, both for safety and functionality. I’m building it so it will be difficult to outgrow in the next 20 or so years. It’s been an interesting journey so far and I haven’t fired up the torch yet! Hopefully in the near future that will happen and I can share that journey with y’all as well. I’m glad you are doing well Lasse, thank you for your compliments, they mean alot!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for you kind thoughts, and yes I did check those links, the price of the small packages is so much more than what the box used to cost, but since that ship has sailed (or sunk) I‘m guessing that’s what’s left. I should be good for 6 months or so until I need to add media, in which case I may be regretting not paying the price they want for the small bags. (I’ve got to do some soul searching).

Thank you so much! We’re very grateful, and I’m going to do my best to have a great year.

Thank you.

I’m preparing to embark on the journey of becoming a glass artist. I’m an artist at heart and am excited to make the leap into borosilicate glass as a medium, it’s been calling my name for a very long time. I’ve invested in a system to produce my own compressed oxygen on demand. It should allow me the luxury of learning (without going broke) and ultimately producing Artwork at competitive prices. I‘m going to try an focus on glass jewelry to start. It’s an exciting/terrifying journey so far. The logistics of my studio build has taken a great deal of my time just brainstorming, both for safety and functionality. I’m building it so it will be difficult to outgrow in the next 20 or so years. It’s been an interesting journey so far and I haven’t fired up the torch yet! Hopefully in the near future that will happen and I can share that journey with y’all as well. I’m glad you are doing well Lasse, thank you for your compliments, they mean alot!

Wishing you all the best in your new endeavor! My lady and I watched a series on Netflix called, "Blown Away". Are you familiar with it?

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishing you all the best in your new endeavor! My lady and I watched a series on Netflix called, "Blown Away". Are you familiar with it?

Yes, that’s an awesome series. What I’ll be doing is a bit different, instead of working in front of a furnace with “soft” glass (soda lime glass). I’ll be using techniques invented for scientific glassblowing which have spawned a revolution in glass art using borosilicate glass (a shock resistant variant of glass, pyrex is a brand name of borosilicate) which requires more heat (hence why it Is best worked in front of an oxygen/gas torch) than soft glass and it’s more plastic like in consistency. There’s advantages/disadvantages to both types of glass.

If you’re interested this is a pretty amazing demo by a Master flame worker from Murano Italy named Emilio Santini. He lives and teaches in the U.S. now. He does an equally amazing job of explaining why and how he does everything as he does actually blowing glass. Corning Museum of Glass on Youtube has hundreds of hours of demos available for anyone who is interested.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is some inspirations

1582275202624.png

1582275231415.png

1582275267027.png

From Venice (Italy). Took them an year ago - still regret that I did not get into the shop.

Sincerely Lasse

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that’s an awesome series. What I’ll be doing is a bit different, instead of working in front of a furnace with “soft” glass (soda lime glass). I’ll be using techniques invented for scientific glassblowing which have spawned a revolution in glass art using borosilicate glass (a shock resistant variant of glass, pyrex is a brand name of borosilicate) which requires more heat (hence why it Is best worked in front of an oxygen/gas torch) than soft glass and it’s more plastic like in consistency. There’s advantages/disadvantages to both types of glass.

If you’re interested this is a pretty amazing demo by a Master flame worker from Murano Italy named Emilio Santini. He lives and teaches in the U.S. now. He does an equally amazing job of explaining why and how he does everything as he does actually blowing glass. Corning Museum of Glass on Youtube has hundreds of hours of demos available for anyone who is interested.

Thanks for the explanation and also for supplying the video. I started watching it but noticed it's an hour long so will finish it later. It certainly is interesting!

Hey, I wonder if Emilio is related to The Great Santini! ;)

1582275202624.png

1582275231415.png

1582275267027.png

From Venice (Italy). Took them an year ago - still regret that I did not get into the shop.

Sincerely Lasse

Oddly enough, I remember you going on this trip with your wife.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly enough, I remember you going on this trip with your wife.
Yes - it was a year ago - but no trip to Italy this spring - no snow for us her in western Sweden this year. Therefore - we will go up to the north instead in early March. Train to Narvik (Norway) via Kiruna - boat from Lofoten to Bergen and train Bergen - Gothenburg

Sincerely Lasse

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - it was a year ago - but no trip to Italy this spring - no snow for us her in western Sweden this year. Therefore - we will go up to the north instead in early March. Train to Narvik (Norway) via Kiruna - boat from Lofoten to Bergen and train Bergen - Gothenburg

Sincerely Lasse

Sounds like it will be a good trip.

Many people, here in the States, do not care for traveling by train. However, I've done a couple of train trips and enjoyed them. I am not completely sure but I do believe travelling by train in Europe is a better experience than here. I'd love to take a train trip through Europe and, hopefully, will some day.

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1582275202624.png

1582275231415.png

1582275267027.png

Sincerely Lasse

Thank you Lasse! I’ll take all the inspiration I can get! I was very jealous of your trip to Murano, one day I’ll get an opportunity to go, hopefully. Such an amazing community with an even more amazing history.

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I broke down and ordered 40Kg of the little Reborn media since it was all that I could find, I paid a small fortune for it, but it should mean I don’t have to worry about calcium and alkalinity for the next 5 years or so. Now I’m going to have to apologize to my UPS driver again!

E7C86AC7-95F2-4FF1-AB86-06CC29030FCA.jpeg

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I broke down and ordered 40Kg of the little Reborn media since it was all that I could find, I paid a small fortune for it, but it should mean I don’t have to worry about calcium and alkalinity for the next 5 years or so. Now I’m going to have to apologize to my UPS driver again!

E7C86AC7-95F2-4FF1-AB86-06CC29030FCA.jpeg
I don't have a CaRx but I'm curious why the media is no longer available?

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a CaRx but I'm curious why the media is no longer available?

I’m not sure anyone knows the answer except the folks at Two Little Fishies, hopefully it’s not gone forever and I just wasted some extra money. Either way I’ll be set for a little while. Fingers crossed it’s not gone forever!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back