OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk how I missed this thread! I just skimmed through your entire thread. Pure acro envy. Well done sir!

Questions:
1. How do you like the avast auto neck cleaner? In conjunction with filter socks does it do a good job keeping your nutrients down?
2. How do you like the Powermodule? Would you change your lighting if you had the chance?

Hey sorry I’ve been preoccupied so I’m late to reply!
1. I love the avast auto neck cleaner, it’s been very helpful. I stopped using a skimmate locker though after I had an accident. The neck cleaner has been a real jewel though.
2. I love the powermodule and wouldn’t swap it for anything :)

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2. I love the powermodule and wouldn’t swap it for anything :)
I'm starting a new tank with an ATI Hybrid, could you share your light schedule? Not the file necessarily, just the basic outline.
Are you still using 4x Blue Actinic and 4x Super Actinic?

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting a new tank with an ATI Hybrid, could you share your light schedule? Not the file necessarily, just the basic outline.
Are you still using 4x Blue Actinic and 4x Super Actinic?

Thanks in advance!

Yes I’m still using the same T5 spread, and will be replacing them later this year with the same bulbs. The way i have my LED’s set up is they ramp up over a period of 2 hours and they start from the bluest they can be and gradually shift to emulate the ATI coral plus bulb for the next 8 hours, they then ramp down over 2 hours going back to the all blue setting. The T5’s are on for the the middle 8 hour period at 100% the LED’s run at 75% intensity for that period. Hope this helps :)

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, one more beautiful tank that is so shine and inspirational for a newbie (voice in my head - I think I can, I think I can..........)

Feel free to ask any questions you want/need to as they arise. Welcome to the wonderful world of reefkeeping :)

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel free to ask any questions you want/need to as they arise. Welcome to the wonderful world of reefkeeping :)
If you could stop being so good for a minute so the rest of us could catch up, that would be great.

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 11.07.51 PM.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nice array of colors

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was kind of cloudy today, which is VERY unusual, and it was a bit unsettling for a bit, it probably took me an hour or so to realize the astrea snails were broadcast spawning. Fortunately I didn’t freak out and start messing with things.
664FB418-E1D1-4677-85E7-5EC28EFD730E.jpeg

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve decided to make some methodology changes to the way this tank operates, I actually made the decision a couple months ago when I realized that my carbon dosing wasn’t keeping up with the phosphates that the calcium reactor was adding. The calcium reactor is amazing, and I love that my constant phosphate deficiency is now a permanent thing of the past. About 5 weeks ago I ordered a small GFO reactor and pump combo from Geo’s Reefs, but still haven’t gotten it yet. (It’s still being built, I’m glad their busy, this isn’t a rant). So I tried increasing my NoPOx dosage to try and keep up with the increasing phosphates, (I’ve been constantly dosing KNO3 solution via my ATO to maintain Nitrates for well over 2 years now). I noticed some of the corals became unhappy with this strategy of increased NoPOx dosage. (18ml/day) , I had a hunch this would happen but had to try anyway. I stopped carbon dosing completely a week and a half ago. So last week I broke down and ordered a small aquamaxx GFO media reactor and a Sicce pump since the GEO reactor hasn’t made it here yet. I havent yet installed it, I just finished the plumbing for it yesterday. I’m going to study the ROWA GFO instructions again before deciding how much to use. (I won’t lie, I’m a little nervous about this, I’ve never used GFO before). So we will see what happens. I’ll update the thread after the deed is done.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve decided to make some methodology changes to the way this tank operates, I actually made the decision a couple months ago when I realized that my carbon dosing wasn’t keeping up with the phosphates that the calcium reactor was adding. The calcium reactor is amazing, and I love that my constant phosphate deficiency is now a permanent thing of the past. About 5 weeks ago I ordered a small GFO reactor and pump combo from Geo’s Reefs, but still haven’t gotten it yet. (It’s still being built, I’m glad their busy, this isn’t a rant). So I tried increasing my NoPOx dosage to try and keep up with the increasing phosphates, (I’ve been constantly dosing KNO3 solution via my ATO to maintain Nitrates for well over 2 years now). I noticed some of the corals became unhappy with this strategy of increased NoPOx dosage. (18ml/day) , I had a hunch this would happen but had to try anyway. I stopped carbon dosing completely a week and a half ago. So last week I broke down and ordered a small aquamaxx GFO media reactor and a Sicce pump since the GEO reactor hasn’t made it here yet. I havent yet installed it, I just finished the plumbing for it yesterday. I’m going to study the ROWA GFO instructions again before deciding how much to use. (I won’t lie, I’m a little nervous about this, I’ve never used GFO before). So we will see what happens. I’ll update the thread after the deed is done.
Good luck. I would start with a lighter hand. You could always run it intermittently as well :)

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. I would start with a lighter hand. You could always run it intermittently as well :)

Yeah I am going to try my best to not overdo it. I hadn’t considered running it intermittently and I think that’s a fantastic suggestion. I’m definitely going to add that to the playbook. Thank you Tim

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back