Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great Rick! You need to post more :D

I’ve been on hiatus for various reasons, I’ll make more of an effort! Plus now I feel like the tank is starting to really come into it’s own so it’s more worthy of sharing it with all of you. It’s probably a shame that it’s pretty much only me that gets to stare into it on a daily basis in person. Clyde (the dog) doesn’t seem to much care what goes on in there. :D
FF5B3A12-D760-4073-8936-8EB2F5C2A536.jpeg

Last edited:

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what happened to the only Panta Rhei user that I know of :D
Awesome to see you back man !!

Your tank has more flow than even the South Pacific itself ! Amazing job ...

I think we all should learn from you how flow - the most important element outside of chemistry should be set .

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome tank!

Are you still using the KH Guardian?

I had to send mine in to get the original board replaced and honestly I never hooked it back up! It taught me enough about how alkalinity works that I feel like I don’t really need it anymore. I will probably hook it back up eventually, but I’ll admit that I’ve been kinda lazy the last year.

I was wondering what happened to the only Panta Rhei user that I know of :D
Awesome to see you back man !!

Your tank has more flow than even the South Pacific itself ! Amazing job ...

I think we all should learn from you how flow - the most important element outside of chemistry should be set .

Regards,
Abhishek

It’s interesting that you mention that because a couple months ago I changed the timing of the pumps around so there are points that they all run at the same time and create a huge amount of current, and guess what... a huge growth spurt and increase in alkalinity consumption has occured. So flow is definitely overlooked far too often. I also think it’s pretty hard to have “too much flow”. Good to hear from you my friend!

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That my friend is what I call Dream Tank !!!
I do not recall seeing a tank with such matured coralline growth .
Am intrigued is it the amazing flow you got in the system that contributes to it ?

Regards,
ABHISHEK

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That my friend is what I call Dream Tank !!!
I do not recall seeing a tank with such matured coralline growth .
Am intrigued is it the amazing flow you got in the system that contributes to it ?

Regards,
ABHISHEK

I’m really not sure! I suspect that you are probably right, the coralline grows so thick that it will eventually limit the flow of even the Panta Rhei ECM-42’s. I have to take them out and dissolve all the growth in vinegar every 4 months or so. I really never had much bright purple coralline until I started using the Tropic Marin Balling salts for my Alk and Ca, I kid you not, within 2 weeks of using it all the coralline I had turned from a faint light pink to this bright purple and it’s been going crazy ever since. I swear Tropic Marin Balling salts must have magic in it. :D

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Details man! Hard to tell what size tank it really is. I’d assume you’re running a calcium reactor to keep up with all That Growth?

Very nice.

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Details man! Hard to tell what size tank it really is. I’d assume you’re running a calcium reactor to keep up with all That Growth?

Very nice.

The tank is 60”x 27”x 27” (190 gallon), It’s running on Tropic Marin Balling salts. I do have a CaRX but I haven’t chosen to set it up. The tank is constantly changing its own water (1% of the volume daily). I add some Tropic Marin elements daily and that’s pretty much it. Filtration is some activated carbon changed monthly and a big Vertex Alpha 250 protein skimmer in a sump. 6ml of NoPOx is dosed daily.

The vitals:
Alk 8.9 dKH
Ca 430 ppm
Mg 1440ppm
NO3 5ppm
PO4 0.12ppm

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back