My miami

Status
Not open for further replies.

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have put in the amount of time, money, and investment into searching out things like this, its kind of hard to speak about.
I know Jason spends HOURS searching out corals to add to his collection. He got lucky with this one, just like anyone else could have if they put the time and effort into do it.
He has 100,000+ tied up in his system with thousands of corals that he has sought out.
I can't imagine how many he has lost along the way.

I'm not standing in his corner, but lets get real here, he has paid his dues.

If it is that easy, a wholesalers license is easy to get......

Just adding the flip side of the coin that a lot of people don't see or understand since they might not know what it takes to do some of the work involved to get things like this....

Just playing devi's advocate here, and adding some light to the situation that this isn't something he picked up at a local fish store and put in his 20g nano.

I totally understand that but like he said it was a hitch hiker.:smile:
The story behind it again is unimpressive and does not validate a $1500/eye price tag. We all put time and money into this pit we dug for ourselves but come on guys seriously when will this trend end and go back to being a hobby? Seems like more and more each day this hobby we all love becomes more about greed than sharing an experience or in this case a coral.

Cuda

Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is a joke! If the seller can get a million for it , good for him I don't care if he found it for free. He is not rapping anyone if they agree to pay is he? People just get mad because they are greedy and want. That is why the prices go so high to begin with.I have seen some cut throat kids out there that you give them something for free or a great deal and they sell it right away and slander you so they can sell the same stuff and make a buck.With that said ,let him make a buck on his coral before someone else does.

I can still give a coral away for free and keep the hobby fun! Thats also my right>

Last edited:

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand that but like he said it was a hitch hiker.:smile:
The story behind it again is unimpressive and does not validate a $1500/eye price tag. We all put time and money into this pit we dug for ourselves but come on guys seriously when will this trend end and go back to being a hobby? Seems like more and more each day this hobby we all love becomes more about greed than sharing an experience or in this case a coral.

Would it be different if he paid $10,000 for it?
If thats the case, then I'm sure he can add up how much stuff he has lost in the process.

Again, I don't think the price is on point, but I don't set it - the people shelling out the $ do. I know for a fact that there have been quite a few people that were willing to put out more than $1500 to get a frag. So the money is there.

Sure Jason lives by me and I stop up there from time to time. I don't get any discounts or price breaks on ANYTHING. So don't think for a minute that I'm saying this to stand up for him. Ask him, I have bugged his butt to hook me up MANY times, no dice though:sad:
I mean what I say and say what I mean, and am not worried about whether I tick anyone off since there is nothing in it for me.

I'm just saying, what would you do? Sell it for less than someone is willing to pay?
Especially when you have 2,000+ corals and this is the creme d' la' creme?

I'm just saying to look at it from the other side of the table.

I know I would sell it for whatever someone is willing to pay, especially if it was the best piece in my tank.

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude my point here is this is a Hobby. I myself is far from greedy and definatly don't care much for it. So for your comment thinking I just want it and am greedy is really upsurd. I would feel bad as from one human to another to even consider chargeing that much for something that came in as a hitch hiker. It is called respect and integrity for a fellow hobbyist. Is it really about making money? Here is the definition for hobby if you don't know.

Hobby= An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarly for pleasure. An activity pursued in one's spare time for pleasure or relaxation.

Jeremym420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why people are so suprised at the price per eye. Brand new unreleased corals always sell for way more money at the beginning. Give it a year or two and the cost per eye will be no where near that amount. After enough people have it, and start to sell eyes, the price will drop off. Remember when purple death palys sold for $300 per polyp when the first few were released? What are they now? $10 per polyp or so? Also, for some people, this isn't a hobby, its a business and if people are willing to pay that price, the vendors will continue to charge it.

Last edited:

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be different if he paid $10,000 for it?
If thats the case, then I'm sure he can add up how much stuff he has lost in the process.

Again, I don't think the price is on point, but I don't set it - the people shelling out the $ do. I know for a fact that there have been quite a few people that were willing to put out more than $1500 to get a frag. So the money is there.

Sure Jason lives by me and I stop up there from time to time. I don't get any discounts or price breaks on ANYTHING. So don't think for a minute that I'm saying this to stand up for him. Ask him, I have bugged his butt to hook me up MANY times, no dice though:sad:
I mean what I say and say what I mean, and am not worried about whether I tick anyone off since there is nothing in it for me.

I'm just saying, what would you do? Sell it for less than someone is willing to pay?
Especially when you have 2,000+ corals and this is the creme d' la' creme?

I'm just saying to look at it from the other side of the table.

I know I would sell it for whatever someone is willing to pay, especially if it was the best piece in my tank.

Well I guess I am different than most as I don't see dollars signs. That is why I work for a living. I couldn't get myself to accept $1500+/eye for any coral if they offered it to me. It is a common respect I have for the next person. I too can care less if people get mad at me as I too have nothing to gain from it and if I did I would still feel the same way. With that said I'm done what the heck this thread. Remember money isn't everything.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roscoe - I know you weren't talking to me about saying you just wanted and were greedy. (I guess my post was written at the same time as you and you were commenting on Cuda's post)

For some people this is their livelyhood.
Some people have made this a business for themselves that is built around their love of the hobby.
I say "good on you" if people are willing to pay xyz.

I am JEALOUS that it wasn't me that walked into some of the nice chalices out there. I'm not going to lie and say I wouldn't take whatever someone is willing to pay. I have shelled out thousands on the stuff, and I'm cool with it.
The only time I get mad is because I wish I had a piece of it! I'm not saying ANYONE else is like that, just saying that it would be nice to be able to have something everyone wanted. lol

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roscoe - I know you weren't talking to me about saying you just wanted and were greedy. (I guess my post was written at the same time as you and you were commenting on Cuda's post)

For some people this is their livelyhood.
Some people have made this a business for themselves that is built around their love of the hobby.
I say "good on you" if people are willing to pay xyz.

I am JEALOUS that it wasn't me that walked into some of the nice chalices out there. I'm not going to lie and say I wouldn't take whatever someone is willing to pay. I have shelled out thousands on the stuff, and I'm cool with it.
The only time I get mad is because I wish I had a piece of it! I'm not saying ANYONE else is like that, just saying that it would be nice to be able to have something everyone wanted. lol

No it wasn't you it was Cuda.
I understand the flipside of the coin you have a great point but understand mines too:smile:. I've shelled out plenty of money and my 400g+ system cost me a pretty penny too. If I can up charge other corals just because I lost something else than I should have a dozen or so pieces that I should charge $1500/eye?

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it wasn't you it was Cuda.
I understand the flipside of the coin you have a great point but understand mines too:smile:. I've shelled out plenty of money and my 400g+ system cost me a pretty penny too. If I can up charge other corals just because I lost something else than I should have a dozen or so pieces that I should charge $1500/eye?

I agree with exactly what you are saying. I just wanted to throw out the flip side of the coin since I get the feeling everyone is jumping on the band wagon like they would be Robinhood or something.

I look at it like this -

If I bought a Ferrari from a guy for $250,000, and was totally happy with it. Then I found out later he got it for free, I wouldn't care. I paid the going rate and was happy with it.

Just because a lot of reefers are online and we "sort of" know each other, doesn't mean anyone owe's anyone anything.

I also agree that friends get hooked up, I do it with mine out here, and some online.

The other problem that happens with this is just like what happened to our old club president out here.
He has every Tyree out there, and is on the list to get them right when they get released and has been for years.
Since he hooked up friends for next to nothing, they in turn have sold frags cheap to other people they know. Now the club pres. has 300 corals that everyone has gotten for free and he is still paying $100+ a frag. He literally throws stuff away since he isn't into shipping and all that. He is strictly a hobbiest who has a love for reefing.

I'm just trying to shed some light on the other sides of the issues with pricing, reefing, ect.

Its not all good or bad, there are a TON of grey areas that don't really have a readily available solution.

The ONLY problem I have right now is with corals that SUCK and vendors or people psing or led'ing them to get them to pop.

I'm willing to shell out nice cash for nice stuff with no problem, including the My Miami if I had the money.

Last edited:

eagleeyez5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the market drives and controls the prices. Lets all remember that the free market (ie. THE USA) is driven by consumers, if someone is willing to pay X amount, that is what it will sell for. That is not the fault of the seller.

I love to give people a deal. I have given away $1000's in free coral to beginners over the years, but if I have a piece that someone really wants I will sell it for profit (knowing that the money really just goes back into my tank.) I know a lot of store owners, while most make a profit and their house payments, the majority that have a 'big score' like this will blow the money on more stuff for their personal collection. Building your personal collection is the one perk of trading corals.

jfox

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not out to rip anyone off. i am a serious collector and this is my passion. I have over 500 different coral in my collection and the price is set by people who are serious about getting the coral. the price is high because it is very limited and too many people are trying to get it.I dont want to give it away to the wrong hands.

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So who says who has the right hands? Who ever has the biggest wallet to match?

fishypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plain and simple folks, if you don't like the prices don't buy it. There are tens of thousands of coral for less money. No one's twisting arms here or holding guns to heads saying buy or die right? And as far as this hobby goes there's cheap and expensive. That goes for skimmers, lights, power heads, etc. Some of the stuff I can afford and some of the stuff I can't but should I complain about it? I think not.

Just my .02

Reef 5etup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The my miami is a very nice chalice ( One of best watermelons ive SEEN only in pics LoL). I believe it's up to individual person if they spend that type of money on it or not! I have no problem shelling out doe for something i want! ( i wont buy it for that amount becuz its a nice grower ill wait. if it was a slow grower id be selling my frags right now to get it reserved for me ) There's gonna be good and bad stuff about anything it's part of nature it only hypes it up! I believe wwc isn't pricing it that high on purpose its a demand of ppl seeing it in person an shattin there pants when they see it as they come to wwc with crazy prices but its like wwc said they promise to hold till the release in dec! In this hobby there are plenty of ppl with mill's to blow then there's ones that dont have money but love this hobby and will spend there last dime on the hobby ( like myself :) ) not saying the ppl with mill dont love the hobby they just one it first which is understandable so there's a price to pay if you like! If you want to spend the money on it then so be it :) jus my opinion im not here to clash with anyone thanKs!

jfox

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;-) thanks

Last edited:

Cuda

Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay Leno Collects cars right? Its a Hobby Right? Some hobbies have extremes. If you collect coins some are more than others . If you find a silver dollar on the street what honest guy in his right mind would take a penny for it. I hear hobby all the way but we need to look at reality.It is better to give than to recieve but I honestly buy some things to sell or trade to better the hobby for myself.

Dude my point here is this is a Hobby. I myself is far from greedy and definatly don't care much for it. So for your comment thinking I just want it and am greedy is really upsurd. I would feel bad as from one human to another to even consider chargeing that much for something that came in as a hitch hiker. It is called respect and integrity for a fellow hobbyist. Is it really about making money? Here is the definition for hobby if you don't know.

Hobby= An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarly for pleasure. An activity pursued in one's spare time for pleasure or relaxation.

Cuda

Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So true.

Plain and simple folks, if you don't like the prices don't buy it. There are tens of thousands of coral for less money. No one's twisting arms here or holding guns to heads saying buy or die right? And as far as this hobby goes there's cheap and expensive. That goes for skimmers, lights, power heads, etc. Some of the stuff I can afford and some of the stuff I can't but should I complain about it? I think not.

Just my .02

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I pointed out that it was a rotundo and not a chalice awhile back and was told otherwise. Funny how its being recognize as a rotundo now.

I was told the same. People were just trying to cash in on the chalice craze back then.
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/f44/need-help-naming-new-chalice-11873-3.html#post136630

Great call.

If you actually look at the thread you linked to you will see that it was 100% my partner Matt that you were talking to back then and he is about the biggest sheister I know. One of the many reasons I ended up leaving the business. I believed it was a rotundo all along and even tried to explain to Matt that it was not a chalice. His response was simply I can get more for a chalice than I can for an acan. I should have left the business then, but I am an overly trusting person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back