My mushrooms died :(

FlipFlakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I had 2 mushrooms, 2 discossomas and 1 ricordea in a soft coral tank, they all died of a sudden, but my other corals are fine. The only thing I did different is that I started dosing a suplement called "Coral Grower" from salifert about 2 weeks ago and they started to shrink and died. I did the dosing according to it's instructions of 5ml per 100l per week. So now I´ve stopped because I think that might have killed my corals. I'm really confused of why and if that's what actually happened. Please can someone help? Thanks.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sucks but in order for people to help, they need more info. Size and age of tank. Animal life in the tank. Lights (what kind and what is the schedule and intensity). What kind flow is in the tank. Water parameters: Temp, Alk, Calcium, Magnesium, pH, and salinity. Also would be helpful to know why you started dosing the coral grower.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FlipFlakes

FlipFlakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sucks but in order for people to help, they need more info. Size and age of tank. Animal life in the tank. Lights (what kind and what is the schedule and intensity). What kind flow is in the tank. Water parameters: Temp, Alk, Calcium, Magnesium, pH, and salinity. Also would be helpful to know why you started dosing the coral grower.
The tank is 125 liters, has about 2 years now, it has 2 kenya tree corals, xenia, one toadstool and gsp. In terms of fish it has a diamond goby, a yellow wrasse, a cardinal pajama, fire goby and 2 chromis. The light is a Fluval Marine LED 3.0 and it's schedulled from 12 to 22 with the itensity of the blues at 80% and red at 40%. The flow is low to medium. These are the water parameters that I can test:
temp: 25ºC
nitrates and phosphates: <10
pH: 8.3~8.4
salinity: 1.026
KH: 20ºd
Calcium: 490
The Calcium got high and I think it's because of coral grower. The reason I started using it was to promote the growth of coralline algae. I feel really bad and stupid cuz everything was good since a long time. Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!

Upvote 0

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I guess I meant is 20dkh. Is it too high?
What are you using as a test kit? generally you want KH to be 7-12dkh but 20 seems to be extremely high. So high it makes me think you test kit is faulty.

All of your other parameters look good. Although I would try to get your nitrates and phosphates lower. Phosphates should be less than 1ppm. I keep mine at .03ppm and my nitrate 2 ppm.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back