My new 75g

kamehameha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving on up, from my Flex 32g. Picked this up on the cheap from FB marketplace :)

I had to repaint the stand, and there was a lot of scrubbing involved both in the main tank and the sump! But its finally up and running. Still some crust in the first part of the sump, but it isn't possible to get in there and clean it...

Equipment:
75g tank, 20(ish) gallon sump
40lbs new dry rock (carib sea south seas)
~15lbs of the same rock from my previous tank, Wasn't able to add much more than that.
1x 200w fluval heater in Display
1x 100w fluval heater in Sump
1x fluval marine 3.0 (up to 48" model)
2x Top Fin Digital Temp monitors, one in tank, one in sump
1x Jaebow SCP 70m Sine Wave Wavemaker
Danner 500gph return pump (should be turning out ~350 gph)
Instant Ocean Seaclone 100g Skimmer (Will be an IceCap K1 -130 if I don't become a believer but a friend said he likes his seaclone so I figured id gamble)
Hygger ATO
Cyberpower PC Battery Backup (can run the system for ~6 hours with no power according to the software)

Current Stock:
2x Clowns
1x Firefish
1x Yellow Watchman Goby
some snails and hermits also

Planning to get a pistol shrimp to go with the goby and a Dwarf Flame Angelfish. After that I am not sure what to get, potentially a Whitetail Bristletooth Tang as I'm told they are good with a 75g. Any suggestions on stock? Planning on soft beginner corals only, no sps or any of that!

IMG_0309.jpg
IMG_0310.jpg
IMG_0314.jpg

I got the rocks and sand in the next day plus about 5 tubes of epoxy, mans bestie was also wondering why I found rocks more interesting than him...

IMG_0312.jpg

Got all the rocks stuck together and started installing some equipment then came the slowest fill ever...

IMG_0316.jpg
IMG_0319.jpg
IMG_0315.jpg
IMG_0318.jpg

Mixed some salt in, waited a couple of days for the temps to get right and the salt to be mixed up and chucked some fish in there!

IMG_0322.jpg
IMG_0323.jpg
IMG_0324.jpg
IMG_0325.jpg

The sump media is some fluval sponges I had around -> A lot of poly-fil to stop the splashing -> 2 bags of seachem matrix and bio max rings -> skimmer bay -> heater -> return. If that setup sounds backwards at all please let me know, never had a sump before so if I set it up in the wrong order id like to fix it.

I am also going to install a basket I am 3D printing in the heater mini bay with a couple of purigen packs. The water is a touch cloudy from adding the old rocks still so Ill take a few clearer pictures soon!

Edit: Removed stray images

Last edited:
OP
OP
kamehameha

kamehameha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 1: Just had my first fish in sump scare, on day one of fish in tank... Had to fix a gap between the lid and the top of the overflow where my YWG jumped. I got him out with the help of some forum members! Ill post some pics tomorrow, maybe someone will have some advise on the best solution.

OP
OP
kamehameha

kamehameha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 2: So I got my basket printed out for the puringen and put a couple packs in there.

IMG_0339.jpg

All of the fishes are doing good, even the daredevil who took a trip to the sump, he just wanted to make sure I knew there was an issue that needed addressing...

IMG_0331.jpg
IMG_0330.jpg
IMG_0336.jpg

Here is my current fix for the overflow. I just cut grooves in some sponges and lined the whole top of the the overflow. It holds the glass up unless I put the jug of water on top...

IMG_0338.jpg
IMG_0337.jpg

I would love to find a better solution for this problem so I can take the jug off the lid lol. I thought about 3D printing something, but I would imagine that is going to take a lot of trial and error just getting the gap correct.

OP
OP
kamehameha

kamehameha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank !

I can’t see what the problem is under the jug but maybe a small piece of egg crate ? It would be more discreet.
The problem is just that the top of the overflow doesn't reach up to the glass lid and fish can jump into the overflow.

OP
OP
kamehameha

kamehameha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some ideas about stocking:
  • Pistol Shrimp and Dwarf Flame Angel as previously mentioned
  • Squaretail Bristletooth Tang
  • I was also thinking about a Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse maybe a few (not sure how many to keep together)
  • If the Carpenter's wrasses are a no go, then maybe a Single 6 line wrasse and a royal gramma?
  • A green mandarin if/when pods are a go
Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

OP
OP
kamehameha

kamehameha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New pic now that everything is a bit more cleaned up.

Still some work to do, things to figure out, notably the overflow but I have a temporary solution in place for now.

I am also trying to nail down what I want my full stocking list to be, and then Ill have to get a fish or two into QT.

IMG_0354.jpg

OP
OP
kamehameha

kamehameha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went with the yellow tang due to ordering a convict that wasn't available, and there was a sale so....yeah.... :)

I'm thinking next will be the dwarf flame angel and then maybe a mandarin down the road. Really not sure what other fish I would want to add aside from that.

Still so small!
IMG_0363.jpg

Full tank:
IMG_0364.jpg

OP
OP
kamehameha

kamehameha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much new in the tank as of now, the yellow tang is doing great though!

I also snagged some of my first corals from the early black Friday TSA sale, expecting them 12/9 :) That will give me time to decide where everything needs to go. Was aiming for all softies, but $5 was hard to say no to.

EDIT: In other news, the Instant Ocean Skimmer is going bye bye, I ordered an aquamaxx FC-80 that will be here this week. I really didn't like the little air tube adjuster and as of yet its never made foam of any kind.

Alien Hand.png Candy Corn Cloves.png Green Star Polyps.png Hulk Lepto.png Rainbow Ricordia.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back