My new Red Oro macroalgae is dying?!?

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some red oro macroalgae from the algae barn and added it to my DT on Friday. I dipped it in freshwater when it arrived and used a rubber band and super glue to attach it to a frag before adding it to my tank. It is already turning green! Any advise for how to better care for macroalgae. I have a 55g with 2 clownfish and some snails + hermits. Water levels are normal but I have 5ppm of nitrates (which is why I got the algae to help lower this). I place the red oro in places with medium flow and I keep my lights on 9am-7pm.

IMG_0384.jpeg IMG_0386.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I bought some red oro macroalgae from the algae barn and added it to my DT on Friday. I dipped it in freshwater when it arrived and used a rubber band and super glue to attach it to a frag before adding it to my tank. It is already turning green! Any advise for how to better care for macroalgae. I have a 55g with 2 clownfish and some snails + hermits. Water levels are normal but I have 5ppm of nitrates (which is why I got the algae to help lower this). I place the red oro in places with medium flow and I keep my lights on 9am-7pm.

IMG_0384.jpeg IMG_0386.jpeg
5 in nitrates is actually good, even up to 10. Freshwater dip would not be advised as they are delicate and are not plants but implied- Algae. ogo algae is hardy but when conditions are suitable. I would not add this algae to a newer tank as yours appears to be newer. Iron and iodine also needed in water occasionally
Your system is very basic with hang on filter as a main filter. It may be the reason you are seeing nitrates and the issue you will have is that your hang on filter is a mechanical filter and you want to have mechanical, biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. Your unit will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even add a hang on skimmer such as ice cap K1- or K2 100
Ammonia spike may have been very possible and often undetectable after the spike event and affected the algae in addition to light as it needs at least 5000 to 6500k.

OP
OP
saltwaterswiftie

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 in nitrates is actually good, even up to 10. Freshwater dip would not be advised as they are delicate and are not plants but implied- Algae. ogo algae is hardy but when conditions are suitable. I would not add this algae to a newer tank as yours appears to be newer. Iron and iodine also needed in water occasionally
Your system is very basic with hang on filter as a main filter. It may be the reason you are seeing nitrates and the issue you will have is that your hang on filter is a mechanical filter and you want to have mechanical, biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. Your unit will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even add a hang on skimmer such as ice cap K1- or K2 100
Ammonia spike may have been very possible and often undetectable after the spike event and affected the algae in addition to light as it needs at least 5000 to 6500k.
My tank has been running since 5/27 so about a month now. I have a fluvial canister filter with mechanical (sponges), chemical (activated carbon), and biological filtration (ceramic rings). I bought some GFO for the filter but have been testing phosphates and they are currently 0 so I did not add it to the tank yet.

I have a reef light that was supposed to be good for most corals and is 46W/ 25,000K/ 100 PAR.

I have been looking into getting a hang on protein skimmer but I am not sure which one to get since all the them seem to be $200-400 or break immediately so I was going to wait a bit to get one since I have just spent so much on my tank.

Should I buy some iron and/or iodine to add to the tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My tank has been running since 5/27 so about a month now. I have a fluvial canister filter with mechanical (sponges), chemical (activated carbon), and biological filtration (ceramic rings). I bought some GFO for the filter but have been testing phosphates and they are currently 0 so I did not add it to the tank yet.

I have a reef light that was supposed to be good for most corals and is 46W/ 25,000K/ 100 PAR.

I have been looking into getting a hang on protein skimmer but I am not sure which one to get since all the them seem to be $200-400 or break immediately so I was going to wait a bit to get one since I have just spent so much on my tank.

Iron you have to be careful with how much and iodine- Lugols iodine. The 46wt is what may be low for light support. At least 65-890 watt.
As for skimmer, see coralview.com that has Ice cap hang on units starting at $100 in closeout section.

Canister not bad but not complete for filtration and needs regular to frequent servicing to make them efficient otherwise you can experience high nitrate levels.
be careful with GFO as it is strong and can strip your phos levels and cause other issues

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The 100 par spec might not be high enough to adequately illuminate the bottom of the aquarium. Search for the par requirement for this algae.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back