My new SPS Tank

Bruno Sette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dream tank to me, thank you for sharing.

Why didn't you paint the back of the tank in black?

Where did you buy those awesome frags? I'm also from Brazil.

OP
OP
Roberto Denadai

Roberto Denadai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you have your Acros to maintain the color? When I first bought mine they were very bright and colorful and now they have became pastel. Any advice? I have tried acro power but still not much improvement

Strong light, good flow and low nutrients ( no3 =0-3ppm and po4 0 - 0.03 )

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strong light, good flow and low nutrients ( no3 =0-3ppm and po4 0 - 0.03 )
That’s interesting. Currently, I’m struggling with providing colors to towards my acro since they became pale and I ended up having a Dino outbreak. I’m trying to raise nutrient because I have heard this increase the colors of Acros and eliminates the dinos

OP
OP
Roberto Denadai

Roberto Denadai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting. Currently, I’m struggling with providing colors to towards my acro since they became pale and I ended up having a Dino outbreak. I’m trying to raise nutrient because I have heard this increase the colors of Acros and eliminates the dinos

I know that some people are in trouble with dinos, but this is new to me. I always keep my no3 and po4 to the low side and never had any kind of issue ( 20 years )

Cheers

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that some people are in trouble with dinos, but this is new to me. I always keep my no3 and po4 to the low side and never had any kind of issue ( 20 years )

Cheers
It's funny, dinos weren't a problem like they are now, the only downside I ever got when running an ULNS was cyano.

This dinos craze has to come from people starting out with dead rock and not having the proper bacteria to keep dinos from getting a foot hold. There's a lot of theories, hopefully someone will be able to put their finger on it soon.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run your GFO, carbon and zeolite in a reactor, or passively?

OP
OP
Roberto Denadai

Roberto Denadai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s update time anyways man!

Just a quick shot from my iphone

r2rlateral.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First: this looks beautiful and much like other systems you have shared with us before. You are blending some art and science here with dexterity to raise these SPS in soft patel corals with low nutrient but WITHOUT dinoflagellates. That is a balance that eludes many. A few posts here have referenced this dichotomy.

@ycnibrc is also able to keep pastel colors on acropora and avoid dinoflagellates. You both follow zeovit (correct?). Is there more to your method than zeovit?

Your rock structure in relatively "minimal". Do you supplement your systems with other ceramic media?

OP
OP
Roberto Denadai

Roberto Denadai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First: this looks beautiful and much like other systems you have shared with us before. You are blending some art and science here with dexterity to raise these SPS in soft patel corals with low nutrient but WITHOUT dinoflagellates. That is a balance that eludes many. A few posts here have referenced this dichotomy.

@ycnibrc is also able to keep pastel colors on acropora and avoid dinoflagellates. You both follow zeovit (correct?). Is there more to your method than zeovit?

Your rock structure in relatively "minimal". Do you supplement your systems with other ceramic media?

I don´t run zeovit here. There is nothing special in my system. I´m using kalkwasser and carbocalcium. That´s all that I´m dosing here at this moment. I was dosing some aminos but no difference so I stopped

Maybe there is a correlation between the new skimmers generation and dinoflagellates. A lot of people are buying huge skimmers for small tanks. It makes no sense to me. Huge skimmers can rip out everything from water and maybe dinos can take advantage.

I´m running an old octopus 1000 here and everything is fine.

I have siporax , matrix from seachem and sand in my sump.

Best Regards

Last edited:
OP
OP
Roberto Denadai

Roberto Denadai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your water change schedule like?
How much / often do you feed the fish / corals?

I do 15% WC monthly

I feed my fish twice a day and sometimes add some food to my LPS but I don´t have any rule, just when I remember because they look pretty good even without any external source of food

Best Regards

OP
OP
Roberto Denadai

Roberto Denadai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Roberto
Did you start with dry rock or live rock for your tank? What is your source for bacteria for the tank?
Thanks

Dry rock....the source is nature....bacteria for free :)

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock....the source is nature....bacteria for free :)
I don’t think you understand how confused many of us are by this. I’d say 99% of people starting a tank with what you started with would end up with bleached out corals and dinos. You’re truly a master with this approach. Awesome stuff man.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back