My New Water Making Station...

DJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided it was time to change my water making station, my first attempt had a few small issues & one major issue.. The main small issue was that the Brute cans I used were not marked off in gallons so it made it difficult to know how much salt to add unless I did full batches.. My major issue with the whole thing was that the schedule 40 valves I used from Home Depot started to freeze up & break after just 8 weeks use..
I needed a mixing tank between about 60 & 100 gallons & found one at Sprayer Depot in Orlando that was 80g. So, after a trip out to pick that up and an order of Cepex valves from BRS it was time to put it together.. Tank was put into place with a small frame around it to support one 32g Brute can. The idea is that I can make 30gallons of RO/DI & store it in the top tank then drop it into the mixing tank when I'm ready.
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_0522.JPG

Next the Brute can went in & it was all piped up..
I set it up in such a way that depending on how the valves are set I can either just have the water recirculating to mix salt or I can have it sucking water from any of the tanks to a drain & then by moving the hose from inlet to outlet I can pump new salt water back to the tank.. The Cepex valves are so easy to use & more than worth the money..
Also, I connected the pump to a remote control unit (less than $15 at Home Depot) so I can set the hoses up & then start & stop the system running from the tank so I can monitor what's going on..

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

ReefNerd76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided it was time to change my water making station, my first attempt had a few small issues & one major issue.. The main small issue was that the Brute cans I used were not marked off in gallons so it made it difficult to know how much salt to add unless I did full batches.. My major issue with the whole thing was that the schedule 40 valves I used from Home Depot started to freeze up & break after just 8 weeks use..
I needed a mixing tank between about 60 & 100 gallons & found one at Sprayer Depot in Orlando that was 80g. So, after a trip out to pick that up and an order of Cepex valves from BRS it was time to put it together.. Tank was put into place with a small frame around it to support one 32g Brute can. The idea is that I can make 30gallons of RO/DI & store it in the top tank then drop it into the mixing tank when I'm ready.
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_0522.JPG

Next the Brute can went in & it was all piped up..
I set it up in such a way that depending on how the valves are set I can either just have the water recirculating to mix salt or I can have it sucking water from any of the tanks to a drain & then by moving the hose from inlet to outlet I can pump new salt water back to the tank.. The Cepex valves are so easy to use & more than worth the money..
Also, I connected the pump to a remote control unit (less than $15 at Home Depot) so I can set the hoses up & then start & stop the system running from the tank so I can monitor what's going on..

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG
Jealous

Ewilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pump are you using and how far do you have to send the water to get to your tank

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! The easier it is the better, I need to start using a hose VS carry buckets to my tank for water changes. It's a good shoulder workout though!

GnarleyMarley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on building a awc station now, and love your setup. what size tubing/plumbing are you using to pump water to & from your aquariums?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job @DJ Monty. You'll love the convenience you just created for yourself.

For those viewing this nice setup, and may be wanting even a little more information, I'll reference an article recently written discussing mixing stations here.

Wingizzmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that outlet fed by a GFCI if not you may want to put one in cheep insurance your life is worth it .

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Only issue you may want to address... the pump should be mounted lower otherwise you're likely to have a hard time pumping out the water that is below the level of the pump in that tank. That could equal what looks to be about 30 gallons of water you cant use.

OP
OP
D

DJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Only issue you may want to address... the pump should be mounted lower otherwise you're likely to have a hard time pumping out the water that is below the level of the pump in that tank. That could equal what looks to be about 30 gallons of water you cant use.

I've already used this a number of times & it pumps to the bottom with no problem at all...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back