My Next Tank

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... in my 15-20 years in the hobby, my tanks have always been about learning how to have thriving tanks. I've had some Frankenstein builds! And while they were never showpieces, things did thrive.

So now the time has come to put all that I've learned into a really nice tank. A showpiece. Something that looks nice in the living room.

And I see so many nice builds here. And the tanks... Red Sea, Water Box, Fiji Cube, IM, JBJ... Such nice tanks.

But where do you purchase such tanks?

BulkReefSupply and SaltwaterAquarium are two sites I visit regularly. But YIKES!! Red Sea; some of those systems run $7k!

And it isn't only Red Sea.

So where are you guys and girls buying your tanks?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At YIKES R US !!! , prices of glass alone has gone up considerably since covid . If you want a quality built rimless tank with thick glass your going to pay . Top shelf aquatics in Orlando might be a worth while call to see what they have in stock or can have built . Ask for Alex

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SCA. It's a nice tank and pretty much on the "cheaper" end of the hobby spectrum. Still is 2k for about a 100 gallon setup and stand. Honestly try to buy used. The savings are unreal. Tons of people do saltwater for like 3 months, fill a tank with horrid mess and then give up and sell for pennies on the dollar.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything over 100g needs to be acrylic! My newest tanks are 200g and 500g (6’x5’), and I still use my 3, over 20yr old 120g tanks.
Newer tanks were built by Fishtanksdirect… very happy with their work.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SCA. It's a nice tank and pretty much on the "cheaper" end of the hobby spectrum. Still is 2k for about a 100 gallon setup and stand. Honestly try to buy used. The savings are unreal. Tons of people do saltwater for like 3 months, fill a tank with horrid mess and then give up and sell for pennies on the dollar.

I'm all for used. The trouble is that most people post used equipment at a price where you can buy brand new for a few hundred more.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything over 100g needs to be acrylic! My newest tanks are 200g and 500g (6’x5’), and I still use my 3, over 20yr old 120g tanks.
Newer tanks were built by Fishtanksdirect… very happy with their work.

Not a fan of acrylic.

Methodzx860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked this one up. Cycling some rock now for it

Attachments

• received_1242934471.mp4
    16.2 MB

swallace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dom,

I bet if you look around there are probably local reefer clubs where you might be able to source a nice used setup from someone getting out of the hobby. I agree that prices on used items can be a huge cost savings - as you know the issue with used is that its a gamble. Buying something a year or so old is probably fine but as you've seen high end gear will sell for 60-80% of its new price.

As someone who just purchased all new equipment I can say its a huge "investment" for sure. Good luck with your hunt.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked this one up. Cycling some rock now for it

That's another thing; I worry about particle board materials being used to support all of the weight. Not to mention it is very susceptible to moisture and fear it will swell over time.

Methodzx860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's another thing; I worry about particle board materials being used to support all of the weight. Not to mention it is very susceptible to moisture and fear it will swell over time.
Stand is aluminum. Great reviews

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back