My plan for 12g reef

Eleusis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a 12g JBJ Nano-Cube from Drs F&S, and when I got it realized it had the older compact fluorescent lighting, not the LEDs I was expecting. So I tried to return it, fully willing to pay return shipping, and they said, Nah, just keep it. (woot :)

What I now envision is to purchase the newer model with LEDs, and use the old one as a sump/refugium/chaeto chamber with a submerged protein skimmer.

I'll have to drill one, which I have never done before, but I watched Youtube videos of people drilling this exact tank...

I figure around 1-2" aragonite bed and around 12lbs Pacific liverock.

Questions:

Is it worth it to buy a whole new tank, or should I just retrofit the canopy with LEDs and find a cheap 10g for sump?

It's been a while since I've had a reef, and when I moved and had to sell off my 90g, DSBs were all the rage. Can I safely have a 1" sand bed, and if so, will it support pods?

Any and all advice appreciated.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the stock LEDs you will find are somewhat lacking depending on what you intend to grow anyway and you'd probably want to upgrade them regardless. I'd say stick with the PC and rock the standard 10 Gal sump but that's me. Nanobox and Steve's LEDs both make retrofits for that tank, you can also look into reef breeders as well if you do wish to upgrade. I have a 1 1/2" sand bed and have TONS of pods crawling around everywhere. They truly are more at home in your fuge vs the sand bed though. Any particular reason why you are wanting to ensure a thriving pod population??

Also before you drill get yourself a pair of polarized sunglasses and a computer screen just to double check and make sure that glass isn't tempered, it shouldn't be but you just never know. I had my AIO drilled for a sump but I didn't do the drilling myself, totally worth it in the end with all the extra space for equipment.

And lastly for now WELCOME TO R2R!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Eleusis

Eleusis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Josh.

Very cool that those companies make retrofits for my tank, I'll check them out.

I also hate the ginormous ballast for just 24 watts of CF.

I just like pods, to me they are a sign of a healthy tank, and great live food for anything that can eat them. I'm thinking one fish, not sure, maybe a royal gramma, and one shrimp, possibly cleaner or coral banded.

Anyone ever done a nano-reef with a mantis in a cave below?

Everything I've read says the JBJ 12g nano is un-tempered.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R @Eleusis !

Definitely check that the glass isn't tempered

OP
OP
Eleusis

Eleusis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank has a black tape/film covering over the whole back. I've never heard of one being tempered. Are there reports of this tank sometimes having a tempered back? If so, how would I test that without removing the rear protective/decorative coating?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back