Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been

I have been applying Betadine two days 3x a day. He’s hard to hold still he’s very strong ( for a 4 inch seahorse ) and I’m afraid the medication will get on his gills or head he tries to roll up in fetal position when medicine is on his tail. Only last 15 to 20 seconds before I rinse him off and put back in tank by himself

I can’t even focus on work so I turned boat around and heading in only have 1800lbs on boat. Not bad few hrs. Just wanna be home with my little buddy and go to pharmacy n see if they have meds suggested by Matchmakersmagic. She loves seahorses as much as me and seems to be informative on subject. Hope it works. Hey Matchmaker how long leave med on before rinse

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, NEVER EVER put seahorses or other fish that have been in captivity for even a short duration, back into the ocean. They can transfer pathogens picked up while in captivity, into the wild where it can be catastrophic to the wildlife there.
Unfortunately yes, the infection CAN and OFTEN does spread especially when we don't get to treat it very quickly.
Treatment of Tri-sulpha (triple sulfa etc.) and Furan II is NOT something to put on the seahorse, it is added to the water in a hospital tank with heavy aeration from open ended air lines.
I had mentioned this in post #13 with reference to the medication instructions but I will post it again here so you don't have to go looking for it.
It's my experience that a topical med like betadine is great for add on treatment but QUITE insufficient as main treatment for seahorses with bacterial infection. You can keep doing the betadine while doing the treatment of Tri-sulpha and Furan II.
These drugs are NOT normally found at a pharmacy but at your local LFS. (unless you are here in Canada, the UK, or Australia where antibacterial drugs for aquatic pets are no longer available and you have to get a prescription from a Vet.
As MMM said, it IS a bacterial infection and I've not encountered that situation caused by anything other than water quality that allows bacteria to grow out of control, coupled often with temperature above 74°F. NO test kits available to the hobbyist to tell you when the water is getting that way so preventative protocols are required to keep it at bay.
While it is very hard to deal with, you may have to come to terms with the fact it may NOT survive treatment, and when it gets really bad, can't feed and doesn't exhibit signs of wanting to do seahorse things then it is time to euthanize.
Two ways I've used in the past are to put it in the freezer where it slowly shuts down and dies or putting in water with sufficient clove oil to again cause shutdown.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If stores around you don't carry it, you can post query for other people around you to maybe help with location of the drugs. Even one of them is better than none. I prefer Furan II if only one but I know others have succeeded with just the tri-sulpha.
If you are on Facebook, you can also go to Seahorse Source's Group and post help to locate in your area.

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If stores around you don't carry it, you can post query for other people around you to maybe help with location of the drugs. Even one of them is better than none. I prefer Furan II if only one but I know others have succeeded with just the tri-sulpha.
If you are on Facebook, you can also go to Seahorse Source's Group and post help to locate in your area.
Brother I just walked thru door at home have to wash n change then to LPS for these meds, left work early because I couldn’t stop thinking of Stumpy,, when I started talking about putting him to sleep I started crying

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brother I just walked thru door at home have to wash n change then to LPS for these meds, left work early because I couldn’t stop thinking of Stumpy,, when I started talking about putting him to sleep I started crying
This is how he looks right now and definitely not himself not moving around much. I wish there was a way to know if he’s in pain,, I’m thinking yes, I know i would be

DFA42010-2305-4CC7-B299-6AFF5DF4255D.jpeg

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think by reactions I've seen over the years that they feel it when the wound touches something so they try to keep that contact either from happening or at a minimum, but to know that as a true fact, I don't.
I have seen seahorses that have lost even a bit more tail than what yours is going to loose and they still seem to live on happily with just a stub.

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think by reactions I've seen over the years that they feel it when the wound touches something so they try to keep that contact either from happening or at a minimum, but to know that as a true fact, I don't.
I have seen seahorses that have lost even a bit more tail than what yours is going to loose and they still seem to live on happily with just a stub.
I know I must sound like a big baby but this is the first seahorse that I ever named and bonded with out of all the seahorses I have had and at the moment I have 21 he is the only one I ever named Plus I’ve had him just a little over a year and a half

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I must sound like a big baby but this is the first seahorse that I ever named and bonded with out of all the seahorses I have had and at the moment I have 21 he is the only one I ever named Plus I’ve had him just a little over a year and a half
Well I called around and no luck o suggested meds was told by one place try DOXYCYCLINE—HYCILATE also E.M. Erythromycin. Have u herd of these things and will they help my little buddy

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some I've seen others use, Neomycin Kanamycin. As I have mild cognitive impairment I can't think of others right at this moment so I'll see if I can find others that have been posted on the Facebook seahorse pages and get back to you.
First requirement is that they handle gram negative bacteria or, both gram negative and gram positive. Just for g. positive doesn't work.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melafix, Metroplex.
erythromycin is mostly for gram positive but does a few gram negative but not noted for success with most seeahorse bacteria problems. Same goes for DOXYCYCLINE—HYCILATE so it too is not a good choice.
Kanaplex

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melafix, Metroplex.
erythromycin is mostly for gram positive but does a few gram negative but not noted for success with most seeahorse bacteria problems. Same goes for DOXYCYCLINE—HYCILATE so it too is not a good choice.
Kanaplex
I appreciate every little piece of information you have given me I truly do as I respect your opinion as a seahorse owner as you have lots more experience than I do.

But I guess I can close this thread. Stumpy is no longer with us. I’m sooo hurt. Been crying for half hour already,, it’s hard because my wife doesn’t understand and I have nobody else to lean on except all you awesome people that showed concern for Stumpy. Gonna be rough couple days and I have no interest in working on my 55gal setup. I don’t even care anymore at moment

MY POOR LITTLE BUDDY
RIP. STUMPY
I’m sorry I couldn’t help you

AD1766F6-93CD-49A5-98AB-1737A47D12B1.jpeg

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for the loss of your pet EQ. It's been a long time since my first loss almost 2 decades ago and I have to say that it doesn't get much easier for losses that come afterwards.
For me at least, I believe it is that feeling you get when you loose them that makes me double down and do whatever it takes to try to keep from loosing more.
It will help to put your time in to learn as much as you can for the benefit of the remaining seahorses. You can also locate necessary meds to have on hand to treatments can be done immediately for best chances of success.
You have at this point, accomplished more than I could have done, keeping so many in that size tank for as long as you have.

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for the loss of your pet EQ. It's been a long time since my first loss almost 2 decades ago and I have to say that it doesn't get much easier for losses that come afterwards.
For me at least, I believe it is that feeling you get when you loose them that makes me double down and do whatever it takes to try to keep from loosing more.
It will help to put your time in to learn as much as you can for the benefit of the remaining seahorses. You can also locate necessary meds to have on hand to treatments can be done immediately for best chances of success.
You have at this point, accomplished more than I could have done, keeping so many in that size tank for as long as you have.
Thank u for kind words, I’m just so upset this happened because I’m so anal about husbandry with my tanks that’s it’s a plain obsession with me and my OCD
But be assured I’ll have full med kit within a month. And I’ll never name another one again

matchmakersmagic

Seahorse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry for your loss. :( It is easy to get attached to our seahorse friends. I've never really named mine and still its heart breaking when you lose one.

I dont know if you're on FB but we have a few great groups who can help point you in the direction of medicine cabinet items for your ponies. Myself I keep on hand the following:

Furan II
Triple Sulfa (Sulfa Plex)
Metro Plex
Kana Plex
Formalin
Clove Oil
Allicin Topical
Betadine
Diamox (prescription)
Cannulas (force feeding/pouch evacuations)

I think I'm forgetting some odds and ends but that's my semi complete list. It never hurts to have these on hand.

Again, sorry for your loss. We know how you feel. :( *hugs*

matchmakersmagic

Seahorse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Ray too, right on point when failures happen it just drives me to do better. It's easy to get discouraged but I know you'll do just fine moving forward. You're already learning so much and putting it in practice! You're doing great!

Loses happen, we learn and do better each time. :)

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry for your loss. :( It is easy to get attached to our seahorse friends. I've never really named mine and still its heart breaking when you lose one.

I dont know if you're on FB but we have a few great groups who can help point you in the direction of medicine cabinet items for your ponies. Myself I keep on hand the following:

Furan II
Triple Sulfa (Sulfa Plex)
Metro Plex
Kana Plex
Formalin
Clove Oil
Allicin Topical
Betadine
Diamox (prescription)
Cannulas (force feeding/pouch evacuations)

I think I'm forgetting some odds and ends but that's my semi complete list. It never hurts to have these on hand.

Again, sorry for your loss. We know how you feel. :( *hugs*
Thank you for caring about Stumpy, it’s hard because I had him for long time, he was one of my first ponies and I will make a copy of the meds u listed and go shopping soon as I get another day off, been crazy lately, we did 5 trips in 3 days. Again thank you MMM for all advice

matchmakersmagic

Seahorse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for caring about Stumpy, it’s hard because I had him for long time, he was one of my first ponies and I will make a copy of the meds u listed and go shopping soon as I get another day off, been crazy lately, we did 5 trips in 3 days. Again thank you MMM for all advice

I'm always happy to help. I bought most of my items on Amazon (except diamox), with prime 2 day shipping it was a breeze to stock up.

I lost all of my seahorses in one fell swoop in the aftermath of a Florida hurricane. I know the heart break well. Hang in there, we'll make sure your prepared should you have need for meds in the future for your ponies. You've got this!

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Ray too, right on point when failures happen it just drives me to do better. It's easy to get discouraged but I know you'll do just fine moving forward. You're already learning so much and putting it in practice! You're doing great!

Loses happen, we learn and do better each time. :)
Learning so much here even though I fell like I need to go back to school to know everything being talked about. Sometimes I can’t even pronounce some of the words used in this hobby,, maybe a chemist class. Lol

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back