My reef is falling apart thanks to "Real Reef"

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So two years ago I set up a new reef tank using real reef rock. I was thrilled I did not have to destroy a reef in the ocean to have a cool looking tank. After about a year I started noticing rubble on the bottom of my tank. Then I came home and found one of my colonies sitting on the bottom of my tank. The Real Reef that I used is falling apart. I talked to the people over at Real Reef during MACNA. They really didn't have any answers. I had brought in a couple of pieces that had falling off the night before. He said it may have been a bad batch of concrete as he was able to crumble the pieces up in his hand. Well tonight they a major portion of my reef collapsed into the glass. Luckily the glass did not break. I do not know what to do. All of my corals I attached directly to the Rock and they have grown on to the real reef rock. I can't just epoxy the pieces back together because the rock will just break next to the epoxy. Here is a quick video I took a couple of the pieces I removed from the tank that did not have many corals on them.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just keep my fingers crossed. I was suspicious when I realized that glue cannot stick to them. It made me thing that they were clearly made of a power substance that is fairly loosely bound

Hopefully I got a better batch. I doubt it but what can I do at this point.
Glue sticks to mine just fine. What were you using?

OP
OP
rcpalmer1

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't find it exceptionally difficult to glue frags to it?
I use BRS extra think super glue. I have had many frags come off and get lost. I have to use the extra thick so I can put a large enough mound so they stick. Once the corals spread to the rock I have not had any problems.

I lost some smaller frags tonight. I just wonder if my acro colonies that are now turned sideways are going to make it or not. I have some that are under in the shade I know will die. I am just trying to save the most I can.
20191107_205325.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Crabs McJones ... take a look at this video of real reef rock! Maybe I won't use it after all for my reboot. Hopefully others who have had it in their tanks for more than a year will check their rock for brittleness and respond here.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched the video. Man that stinks! I have 3 pieces in my tank. Concrete should be ok - maybe it was a bad batch.

OP
OP
rcpalmer1

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched the video. Man that stinks! I have 3 pieces in my tank. Concrete should be ok - maybe it was a bad batch.
I had gotten 120lbs. I used about 100lbs. My other tank that is tied to the same system has Marco Rock that has been in it for 13 years. I have not had any problems with it.

Things like this is why some people get out of the hobby. You do everything right and then lose everything because of a bad piece of equipment or in this case a bad product.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use BRS extra think super glue. I have had many frags come off and get lost. I have to use the extra thick so I can put a large enough mound so they stick. Once the corals spread to the rock I have not had any problems.

I lost some smaller frags tonight. I just wonder if my acro colonies that are now turned sideways are going to make it or not. I have some that are under in the shade I know will die. I am just trying to save the most I can.
20191107_205325.jpg
What a shame. I'm so sorry for you

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glue sticks to mine just fine. What were you using?
I use corafix and epoxy. Regardless of the glue I use, I'm talking about compared to my other rocks. This stuff is almost chalky and no mater how much I dust it off its always a pain to stick.. Which is not the case with my natural rock or the purple rock I bought

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is really unfortunate!! please don’t let the circumstances discourage you. (>__<)’

is there room for a second tank or do you have access to a friend’s tank that can hold the corals most at risk??

perhaps even a rubbermaid tub.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 134 76.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back